Australians 'fed up' with Palaszczuk’s 'hypocrisy'

Page 2 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2021, 9:55 pm

Instead of relying on "hyperpartisan" opinions

https://theconversation.com/leaner-cost ... ics-162606
Research by KPMG and The University of Queensland shows a projected economic and social benefit of from the Olympics bringing $17.61 billion for Australia overall and $8.1 billion for Queensland alone.

Palaszczuk's trip to Tokyo ensures economic benefit for Australia (unlike the prime minister's overseas junkets).

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2021, 4:10 am

Brisbane wins bid to host 2032 Olympic Games!! ! Yay!!

Australians celebrate all over the country

Anna Palascczuk addresses the world in a 45 minute speech in Tokyo. She's now a heroine in the eyes of the Australian public.

In your face doubters :!:

Murihiku
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2021, 4:39 am

:cheers: BRISBANE 2032
Congratulations, Queensland!

I don't know if all of Australia is celebrating tonight. But I hope it's cheered people up a bit, especially in these uncertain times. I wouldn't go so far as to call Premier Palaszczuk a "heroine", but I still support her and the other government representatives doing their part to secure the Games in Tokyo. Palaszczuk was also there lobbying and answering questions from IOC committee delegates before the vote, and she was the one who officially signed the bid once it was awarded. All in all, I'd say her trip was warranted.

There's the rub, the task.

– Virgil, The Aeneid (Book VI)

Murihiku
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2021, 4:54 am

Pepe wrote:
Please correct me if I am wrong, but it is my understanding that the Olympic Games don't provide a net financial gain, these days.
Personally speaking, I don't think Australian's need the added financial burden, down the track.
I'd rather the money be spent on a missile industry to protect us from Nazi china, or at least make them question the cost of invading Australia.

I'm not sure, but I know that a lot of Olympic Games in the last few decades have gone massively over budget. That's why the IOC changed their bidding rules, favouring candidate cities that could demonstrate lower spending and sustainable development plans and infrastructure, among other things.

I'm not terribly optimistic that the Brisbane Games will "break even", as is often reported in the media. But with 85% of the venues either already existing or temporary, much of the money we do spend will go on infrastructure projects that were already needed and planned, and which will now simply be expedited with extra funding from both the state and federal governments. After years of being at loggerheads with each other, it's nice to finally start seeing them cooperate on projects that will benefit the region for decades to come.

There's the rub, the task.

– Virgil, The Aeneid (Book VI)

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2021, 5:24 am

Murihiku wrote:
: All in all, I'd say her trip was warranted.

That's the main thing. Queenslanders will be big beneficiaries in the next decade in terms of jobs/tourism.
Great way to come out of COVID

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2021, 4:36 pm

Quote:
Brisbane, Australia picked to host 2032 Olympics; no other countries bid.

TOKYO (AP) — Brisbane was picked Wednesday to host the 2032 Olympics, the inevitable winner of a one-city race steered by the IOC to avoid rival bids.

<snip>

The 2032 deal looked done months before the formal decision at the IOC meeting, which was held ahead of Friday’s opening ceremony of the Tokyo Games.

The IOC gave Brisbane exclusive negotiating rights in February. That decision left Olympic officials in Qatar, Hungary and Germany looking blindsided with their own stalled bidding plans.

Though the result was expected, a high-level Australian delegation went to Tokyo amid the COVID-19 pandemic to present speeches, films and promises on stage.

The city of Brisbane sent Mayor Adrian Schrinner, the state of Queensland sent Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk and Australia’s federal government sent sports minister Richard Colbeck to woo Olympic

https://cbs4indy.com/japan-2020/brisban ... tries-bid/

There was no need for the junket.
It was always a done deal.
2 hours before the official announcement, Queensland was unofficially congratulated for the win.
Palaszczuk is out of control. 8)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2021, 4:45 pm

Murihiku wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Please correct me if I am wrong, but it is my understanding that the Olympic Games don't provide a net financial gain, these days.
Personally speaking, I don't think Australian's need the added financial burden, down the track.
I'd rather the money be spent on a missile industry to protect us from Nazi china, or at least make them question the cost of invading Australia.

I'm not sure, but I know that a lot of Olympic Games in the last few decades have gone massively over budget. That's why the IOC changed their bidding rules, favouring candidate cities that could demonstrate lower spending and sustainable development plans and infrastructure, among other things.

I'm not terribly optimistic that the Brisbane Games will "break even", as is often reported in the media. But with 85% of the venues either already existing or temporary, much of the money we do spend will go on infrastructure projects that were already needed and planned, and which will now simply be expedited with extra funding from both the state and federal governments. After years of being at loggerheads with each other, it's nice to finally start seeing them cooperate on projects that will benefit the region for decades to come.

The rest of Australia always picks up the shortfall, in things like this, so don't you worry about that. :mrgreen:

I don't care in the least what state won the 2032 Olympic games, as long as it isn't Sydney.
The Sydney 2000 Olympics was a sucking nightmare for a lot of Sydney siders, who fled the city.
Personally, I have less than zero interest in sports, being a proper aspie, and don't need the added hassle.

I am happy, for you, and I am happy for me that it isn't going to happen in my state.
It is a win-win situation for us personally. :thumright:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2021, 4:51 pm

Murihiku wrote:
:cheers: BRISBANE 2032
Congratulations, Queensland!

I don't know if all of Australia is celebrating tonight. But I hope it's cheered people up a bit, especially in these uncertain times. I wouldn't go so far as to call Premier Palaszczuk a "heroine", but I still support her and the other government representatives doing their part to secure the Games in Tokyo. Palaszczuk was also there lobbying and answering questions from IOC committee delegates before the vote, and she was the one who officially signed the bid once it was awarded. All in all, I'd say her trip was warranted.

It isn't about the Queensland win, for me, as I have explained above.

I haven't had such a dislike for a political leader since howard.
I find her absolutely repulsive.
A political beast of the worst order.

Just my opinion.
I am entitled to have one.
china hasn't invaded Australia yet, after all. 8)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2021, 7:14 pm

Pepe wrote:

One super-spreader has cost billions of dollars in economic loss and hard-locked down 5 13 million people, now.
OMFG!! ! :roll:

Update. 8O

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2021, 7:20 pm

Actually the trip was needed as the IOC said it was not a done deal. The ignorance and attacks on Palaszczuk is completely unnecessary.

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2021, 8:28 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Brisbane wins bid to host 2032 Olympic Games!! ! Yay!!

Australians celebrate all over the country

Anna Palascczuk addresses the world in a 45 minute speech in Tokyo. She's now a heroine in the eyes of the Australian public.

In your face doubters :!:

And yet, I'm sure I saw someone recently say:
Quote:

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2021, 8:43 pm

Brictoria wrote:
Quote:

I'm talking about the living outside QLd we are preoccupied with our own states.
Its curious the OP lives in NSW yet seems to be pre-occupied with a premier in another state?
The basis of their "being fed up" is totally projected because the target of their attack is a Labour politician, You know that, I know that and they know that. Let's cut the BS.

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2021, 9:58 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Brictoria wrote:
Quote:

I'm talking about the living outside QLd we are preoccupied with our own states.
Its curious the OP lives in NSW yet seems to be pre-occupied with a premier in another state?
The basis of their "being fed up" is totally projected because the target of their attack is a Labour politician, You know that, I know that and they know that. Let's cut the BS.

Alternatively: Have you considered that it could be simply that you don't like critism of members of the "left" (or the "left" in general) and are viewing the post through this bias?

There are many people (some partisan, many not) who dislike hypocracy in all its forms, and expect their politicans (of any party) to lead by example, rather than taking a "do what I say, not what I do" approach. For example:
* Shutting down businesses and so preventing low income employees from earning a wage, whilst they still receive a (potentially high) regular paycheck (one of the more prominent examples being https://www.thestar.com/politics/provincial/2021/02/17/maverick-mpp-roman-baber-wants-parliamentarians-to-take-a-massive-pay-cut-to-cerb-levels.html)
* Restricting travel and telling people to "holiday at home" whilst travelling interstate\internationally - I believe this is more prominent among (although not restricted to) politicians in the USA, with several having been caught doing so
* Complaining about one business not providing service to an individual\group, whilst applauding another business for preventing an individual\group from using their service.
Or, as in this case:
* Flying overseas at a time when the particular politician is limiting travel for others (particularly those stuck overseas and unable to return to their families).

Try to seperate the actions of the individual from the group with which they may be associated with - This thread was not about that organisation, but rather the personal actions of an individual, and would have likely been generated had the individual been of some other party (although, knowing certain hyperpartisan members here, the OP would still have likely been researching\preparing their post\thread when one of those hyperpartisans had already posted on the topic with the inclusion of explicitly partisan remarks as part of their personal commentary on the incident).

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2021, 11:47 pm

Brictoria wrote:
Alternatively: Have you considered that it could be simply that you don't like critism of members of the "left" (or the "left" in general) and are viewing the post through this bias?.

Except for four reasons
1, This is a consistent pattern with the OP
2. The OP relies on sky news for all their information
3. The OP has in the past spent an inordinate amount of time attacking Vic and Qld despite the fact he lives in NSW
4. Currently people in NSW are very angry with Gladys and Scomo but remarkably the OP is deafeningly silent on this issue. It's like the OP is only concerned with criticising labor ministers but proudly claims to be impartial and a non-binary thinker which patently false

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2021, 2:36 am

cyberdad wrote:
Brictoria wrote:
Alternatively: Have you considered that it could be simply that you don't like critism of members of the "left" (or the "left" in general) and are viewing the post through this bias?.

Except for four reasons
1, This is a consistent pattern with the OP

I have seen the OP making posts critical of those on the "right" (doubtless they can provide links if required...One such example from within this thread is included in point 4 below) - However I don't recall seeing you critisising those on the "left" (happy to be corrected if I'm mistaken on this point).
cyberdad wrote:
2. The OP relies on sky news for all their information

If one side of a conversation is unlikely to have viewed that source (through their prejudice regarding the source, for example), putting forward links from there would seem reasonable, as it is opening the audience to information which they would otherwise have been unlikely to be aware of.

There is also the question of whether this falsehood is intentional or merely caused by a lack of concern for determining the truth behind it (in favor of a particular narrative they wish to put forward) given the following listed sources used by the OP, for example (links to respective posts by OP which contained them):
https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/conflict-with-china-a-high-likelihood-says-top-australian-general-20210503-p57ogv.html
and
https://www.smh.com.au/opinion/adam-goodes-war-cry-wasnt-an-outrage-it-was-a-heartfelt-show-of-his-proud-heritage-20150531-ghdcfz.html
cyberdad wrote:
3. The OP has in the past spent an inordinate amount of time attacking Vic and Qld despite the fact he lives in NSW

Perhaps the issues the OP is posting about align with certain "special interests" they may have (such as examining the hypocracy of politicians?) and there have been fewer "major" occurences in their state compared to elsewhere.
cyberdad wrote:
4. Currently people in NSW are very angry with Gladys and Scomo but remarkably the OP is deafeningly silent on this issue. It's like the OP is only concerned with criticising labor ministers but proudly claims to be impartial and a non-binary thinker which patently false

Related in part to item 1, but also ignores the fact that while some citizens of a state may be "very angry" with politicians in their state, others may be neutral, or in agreement with them.

After all, he's not assigning blame away from the party in power ("left") for items that are their responsibility (Hotel quarantine):
Quote:
As a Victorian I blame the conservatives for the mess Victoria is in with the vaccine roll-out and botched hotel quarantine policy

Source: https://wrongplanet.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=397614&p=8801037#p8801037

In fact, even a simple glance at this thread would show the OP criticising the "right" aligned Federal and NSW state politicians you specifically named:
Quote:
Morrison stuffed up the vaccine roll-out because he put all his eggs in the AZ vaccine.

Gladys Berejiklian's government stuffed up TWICE with international aircrews.

Source: https://wrongplanet.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=398571&p=8826176#p8826176

Given the unsubstantiated (and demonstratably false) assertion in this final statement, made in the same thread in which the above had already been posted (along with the other points raised and addressed previously), would certainly tend to give credence to claims of hyperpartisanship and support the initial suggestion that the underlying issue is simply that you don't like critisism of members of the "left" (or the "left" in general) and are viewing the post through this bias - This isn't something "wrong", but it is something that should be considered when evaluating information which may not agree with those biases (or put forward which supports those biases).

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2021, 3:45 am

Honestly only you would have the patience to search for the OPs comment on Gladys. He throws in an occasional post because he thinks it will throw people from his clear preferences.

His favourite people to attack include climate change activists and labor politicians. You are (as usual) evading the obvious.

You would need to convince a fair few beyond me, even the mods have pointed out his bias.

Frankly I don't care, but at least he could just be up-front and honestly say he is partisan toward right wing parties/beliefs and news sources. His claim to being impartial is pretty weak and I'm not the only one who has stated the obvious.