Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2021, 5:28 pm

Quote:
Palaszczuk’s Tokyo trip a ‘snub to the rest of Queensland’
22 hours ago

Sky News host Chris Smith says it’s a “snub to the rest of Queensland” for Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk to fly to Tokyo despite fears of a new COVID outbreak in Brisbane.

The Queensland premier will fly out to Tokyo on Sunday after Ms Palaszczuk insisted ​she would cancel the trip if the Sunshine State was plunged into a COVID-19 emergency like NSW.

An online petition started earlier this month which attracted tens of thousands of signatures demanding that she be denied a travel exemption by the federal government.

Mr Smith said the move was “entitled” and the premier could easily meet with International Olympic Committee officials over Zoom like “the rest of the world is doing”.

https://www.skynews.com.au/australia-ne ... 20%20share

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2021, 5:29 pm

Quote:
Australians 'fed up' with Palaszczuk’s 'hypocrisy'

Liberal Senator Gerard Rennick says Queenslanders are fed up with Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk’s hypocrisy in planning to travel to the Tokyo Olympic Games whilst halving the number of international arrivals.

An online petition to prevent the Queensland premier from travelling to Japan in a bid to secure the 2032 Olympic Games has garnered over 20,000 signatures.

“I think the issue that Queenslanders have with our premier is her hypocrisy in the way she’s dealt with COVID,” Mr Rennick told Sky News.

“I’ve got no problem with people travelling overseas but there’s got to be one rule for all and the problem is last week she cut international arrivals by half, and that may be the correct thing to do but if she’s going to do that, she shouldn’t then travel herself.

Mr Rennick says Ms Palaszczuk needs to be consistent in her approaches to dealing with COVID.

“But I think the bigger issue is last week we had the State of Origin up here on the Sunday night, she locked down on the Monday throughout the week then opened up again on the Saturday for another football game on the Sunday where tens of thousands of people could gather in this one place with no masks on.

“It’s that hypocrisy between locking down on individuals and small businesses, having their livelihoods smashed, and then on the other hand travelling overseas herself or allowing big events to take place and I think that’s where people are sick and tired of the hypocrisy.”

https://www.skynews.com.au/australia-ne ... yNewscomau

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2021, 12:45 am

hyperpartisan attacks on state labor politicians again :roll:

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2021, 1:16 am

cyberdad wrote:
hyperpartisan

cyberdad wrote:
attacks on state labor politicians again :roll:

I'm sure Pepe would consider any politician who engaged in hypocritical behaviour such as this (travelling overseas for "entertainment"\non-essential purposes, whilst cutting down on the number of citizens allowed to return to the state - Of course, perhaps she doesn't intend to return?) to be worth criticising.

Similarly, the hypocracy (shared by leaders in many states\nations) in forcing small businesses to close, whilst large gatherings of people such as protests (but only for cetrtain causes), sporting events, etc. are permitted, and where the politicians receive their full wages, whilst their actions are depriving those they govern of income at the same time would also likely receive similar criticism from him, regardless of party\ideological background of those leaders.

You may also notice that the post consists entirely of material sourced from the article, with no "opinion", "belief", or "prejudice" expressed by Pepe in the way of remarks on the content of it in the post...

Eurythmic
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2021, 2:42 am

Don't we have Facetime and Zoom and numerous other ways of having meetings without sharing infections with each other?
At this time of all times I'm very happy to be able to socially distance while still staying in touch.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2021, 2:58 am

Brictoria wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
hyperpartisan

cyberdad wrote:
attacks on state labor politicians again :roll:

I'm sure Pepe would consider any politician who engaged in hypocritical behaviour such as this (travelling overseas for "entertainment"\non-essential purposes, whilst cutting down on the number of citizens allowed to return to the state - Of course, perhaps she doesn't intend to return?) to be worth criticising.

Similarly, the hypocracy (shared by leaders in many states\nations) in forcing small businesses to close, whilst large gatherings of people such as protests (but only for cetrtain causes), sporting events, etc. are permitted, and where the politicians receive their full wages, whilst their actions are depriving those they govern of income at the same time would also likely receive similar criticism from him, regardless of party\ideological background of those leaders.

You may also notice that the post consists entirely of material sourced from the article, with no "opinion", "belief", or "prejudice" expressed by Pepe in the way of remarks on the content of it in the post...

Too right!

Also:
Morrison stuffed up the vaccine roll-out because he put all his eggs in the AZ vaccine.

Gladys Berejiklian's government stuffed up TWICE with international aircrews.
The first time, she naively believed the aircrew would do the right thing and not run around town. Bwahahahaha!
And the second time, compulsory vaccination and mask-wearing by the driver of the aircrew was implemented AFTER THE HORSE HAS BOLTED!! !
Will they ever ducking learn? :roll:

One super-spreader has cost billions of dollars in economic loss and hard-locked down 5 million people, now.
OMFG!! ! :roll:

Some people excel in misrepresentation.
Others embrace integrity.

Point Brictoria and Pepe. 8)

If some silly people haven't worked out I am not hyperpartisan by now, nothing will convince them. EEP!

BTW, what is that pink sentence in my signature all about? :scratch:

Last edited by Pepe on 19 Jul 2021, 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2021, 3:20 am

Quote:
Petition for Annastacia Palaszczuk be denied the right to travel to Tokyo hits 120,000 signatures

More than 120,000 Australians have signed the petition for the Queensland Premier to be refused an exemption to travel to Tokyo.
Crystal WuDigital Reporter
less than 2 min read
July 17, 2021 - 6:33AM

Outraged Australians have blasted Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk's decision to fly out to Tokyo amid Australia's COVID-19 crisis.

The petition calling for Ms Palaszczuk to be denied the right to travel while many Australians are still stranded overseas, has reached more than 120,000 signatures.

"Annastacia Palaszczuk has successfully advocated for a brutal and heartless halving of Australian quarantine spaces, making it even more difficult for Stranded Australians to return home," the change.org petition wrote.

https://www.skynews.com.au/australia-ne ... 921ed9be09

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2021, 5:55 am

She has already explained herself on ABC's Q&A two weeks ago.

The invitation to the Tokyo games had been a long time planned with the lord mayor of Brisbane in order to win the rights to host the 2032 Olympics.

It was estimated it would bring in millions to the Queensland economy and unlike certain invidivuals attacking her purely because she's labour, the general consensus is that its a good idea for Queensland.

https://theconversation.com/leaner-cost ... ics-162606
Research by KPMG and The University of Queensland shows a projected economic and social benefit of $17.61 billion for Australia overall and $8.1 billion for Queensland alone.

Kind of a no-brainer

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2021, 6:41 am

cyberdad wrote:
She has already explained herself on ABC's Q&A two weeks ago.

The invitation to the Tokyo games had been a long time planned with the lord mayor of Brisbane in order to win the rights to host the 2032 Olympics.

Sounds reasonable...Until you consider:
Quote:
The winning bid, expected to be Brisbane, is scheduled to be selected and announced by the International Olympic Committee on 20–21 July 2021

So, 2 days before the bid is to be announced there is a sudden need to rush out to promote Brisbane?

Oh yes:
Quote:
Brisbane was first announced as the preferred bid on 24 February 2021, gaining the formal approval of the IOC Executive Board on 10 July 2021. If selected, Brisbane would become the first host city to win an Olympic Games bid unopposed under the new bidding procedures

Sources for above: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2032_Summer_Olympics

So, we have a state premier rushing overseas, 2 days before the venue is selected, in a bidding war where the state capital's bid is unopposed...

cyberdad wrote:
It was estimated it would bring in millions to the Queensland economy and unlike certain invidivuals attacking her purely because she's labour, the general consensus is that its a good idea for Queensland.

https://theconversation.com/leaner-cost ... ics-162606
Research by KPMG and The University of Queensland shows a projected economic and social benefit of $17.61 billion for Australia overall and $8.1 billion for Queensland alone.

Seems a waste of money (and hypocritical) to be rushing overseas on this junket when the bid is not opposed, and the premier has been preventing people returning to the country, whilst she will doubtlessly force her way to the front of the line to allow a return to the country.

I suppose she could always be moved to the back of the line for re-entry, to allow others who would otherwise be delayed further from returning, which may provide some "equity" for those whe has been blocking from returning...

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2021, 7:51 am

The woman is shameless. :roll:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2021, 5:19 pm

Quote:
Annastacia Palaszczuk will ‘have to deal with’ Tokyo trip backlash
22 hours ago

Home Affairs Minister Karen Andrews says Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk was “very hypocritical” in her choice to fly to Tokyo while pushing for lowered hotel quarantine caps.

“I’m well and truly on the record for saying a couple of weeks ago when, on the one hand, she was arguing for hotel quarantine caps to be reduced in Australia that it was very hypocritical when she herself was going to be heading off overseas,” she told Sky News.

Ms Andrews said “without a doubt the Olympic Games are important” but said over the last year many presentations such as the one Ms Palaszczuk is given could be done remotely.

“The outrage from many people across Australia because of the hypocrisy is something the premier is going to have to deal with at some point.”

https://www.skynews.com.au/australia-ne ... yNewscomau

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2021, 5:39 pm

Off Topic
Pepe wrote:

One super-spreader has cost billions of dollars in economic loss and hard-locked down 5 million people, now.
OMFG!! ! :roll:

Quote:
Melbourne, Sydney lockdowns costing up to $2 billion a week
16 hours ago

Economist Warren Hogan says the Melbourne and Sydney lockdowns are costing Australia up to $2 billion a week.

Sydney and the whole of Victoria are currently locked down, accounting for nearly half of the country’s total population.

“We are getting up to a weekly cost of $1.5 billion to $2 billion. We’re talking about a 15 to 20 per cent hit to economic activity,” Mr Hogan told Sky News Australia.

https://www.skynews.com.au/business/fin ... 20%20share

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2021, 7:48 pm

I object to the use of the word "Australians" are fed up with Palaszczuk's conduct as that's simply parroting Sky news. This illustrates the federal government pitting state against state. Nobody gives a toss about Qld.

The truth is that people in all states are fed up with Scott Morrison's lack of leadership, his bungling of vaccine roll out, his reliance on hotels to quarantine overseas COVID + cases instead of building built for purpose facilities like in the NT to house people waiting to return to Australia and worst of all preferential treatment to states like NSW with a coalition state government.

The proof of the pudding was seeing conservative radio personality Steve Price grudgingly admit Morrison and Berijiklian are the ones who have stuffed things up and the focus of a lot of anger in other states.

Murihiku
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2021, 10:30 am

Brictoria wrote:
Quote:
The winning bid, expected to be Brisbane, is scheduled to be selected and announced by the International Olympic Committee on 20–21 July 2021

So, 2 days before the bid is to be announced there is a sudden need to rush out to promote Brisbane?

Oh yes:
Quote:
Brisbane was first announced as the preferred bid on 24 February 2021, gaining the formal approval of the IOC Executive Board on 10 July 2021. If selected, Brisbane would become the first host city to win an Olympic Games bid unopposed under the new bidding procedures

So, we have a state premier rushing overseas, 2 days before the venue is selected, in a bidding war where the state capital's bid is unopposed...

There's a final presentation that has to be made to the IOC committee before the final vote on Wednesday. Even with Brisbane being unopposed as preferred candidate, the bid can still be voted down by the full committee, unlikely though it may seem.

Does the Qld premier (along with Brisbane's Lord Mayor and the Federal sports minister) need to be there in person to ensure the success of the bid? Perhaps a Zoom call would've been enough in their case. But John Coates seems to think that having strong representation in person from all three levels of government would help to shore up support, and perhaps the bid organisers didn't want to take any chances. Personally, I don't mind the premier and the other government officials being in Tokyo for the bid, since this trip is for state business and it's been known about and planned for months.

What did annoy me was Palaszczuk's rhetoric on overseas returnees during the recent lockdowns here. Seriously, did she not anticipate the angry reaction that people would have so close to her own scheduled overseas trip? :roll: That said, Brisbane's Olympic bid is quite popular here in SE Qld, and so any resentment that locals feel might just dissipate if the bid is successful ... which I'm guessing it will be.

There's the rub, the task.

– Virgil, The Aeneid (Book VI)

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2021, 12:04 pm

Off Topic
cyberdad wrote:
I object to the use of the word "Australians" are fed up with Palaszczuk's conduct

And no doubt, many members of the "part of Abraham Lincoln" would object to people claiming they want "to fly confederate flags and bring back Jim Crow."
Or how about the citizens of the "progressive" states in the USA (outside of California and Hawaii), who would likely object to being told they are "dominated by the white christian right."

Then, how about the "MAGAs" who may object to a person hoping that a lot of the members of their group would be killed

Or maybe the hispanic, arab, native peoples, pacific islanders, etc. who would rightly object to being referred to as "Assorted darkies" (an exceptionally vile and racist description for people of those racial heritages, if you ask me).

And of course, I would guess that the citizens of QLD, may object to someone stating "Nobody gives a toss" about their state.

As you can see, quite a numer of people could "object" to things said about the group they may be a member of: How exactly is the use of the word "Australians" in this thread any different from the use of the varying groups in the examples I have supplied?

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2021, 9:17 pm

Murihiku wrote:
Brictoria wrote:
Quote:

Oh yes:
Quote:

There's a final presentation that has to be made to the IOC committee before the final vote on Wednesday. Even with Brisbane being unopposed as preferred candidate, the bid can still be voted down by the full committee, unlikely though it may seem.

Does the Qld premier (along with Brisbane's Lord Mayor and the Federal sports minister) need to be there in person to ensure the success of the bid? Perhaps a Zoom call would've been enough in their case. But John Coates seems to think that having strong representation in person from all three levels of government would help to shore up support, and perhaps the bid organisers didn't want to take any chances. Personally, I don't mind the premier and the other government officials being in Tokyo for the bid, since this trip is for state business and it's been known about and planned for months.

What did annoy me was Palaszczuk's rhetoric on overseas returnees during the recent lockdowns here. Seriously, did she not anticipate the angry reaction that people would have so close to her own scheduled overseas trip? :roll: That said, Brisbane's Olympic bid is quite popular here in SE Qld, and so any resentment that locals feel might just dissipate if the bid is successful ... which I'm guessing it will be.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but it is my understanding that the Olympic Games don't provide a net financial gain, these days.
Personally speaking, I don't think Australian's need the added financial burden, down the track.
I'd rather the money be spent on a missile industry to protect us from Nazi china, or at least make them question the cost of invading Australia.

Keep in mind that I am a moderate conservative independent, but I will call out fault where I see it on either side of the political divide. am not one of the hyperpartisan denizens that inhabit these parts. 8)

Having said that, I find Palaszczuk a gold plated prized goose with a political tin ear, lack of compassion for the common people, favouritism for celebrities, queen of double standards and the luck of the Irish that the pandemic happened when it did.

I find her to be one of the most disreputable politicians in Australia, and have a major problem she uses public funds to employ *18* media advisers. 8O
And engages in this unnecessary junket/trip to Tokyo while others are forbidden.
But then, we all know that she is better than us "little people", and I don't mean leprechauns. <vitriolic sarcasm>