Page 3 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2021, 3:18 pm

carlos55 wrote:
Edna3362 wrote:
From where I came from, it's complicated.

It varies between regions (at least 17, and it's individual 'economy', climate and certain demographic traits), ethno-linguistics (in which at least 100+ variations of), other circumstances and affiliations a neighborhood, a household, an individual or so choose to follow.

Acceptance and tolerance are easier if it's plausible to a person or a community.
Go past that, networks and sociability too, are easier.

But the awareness, knowledge and understanding sucked -- it can be bypassed though.
And availability and accessibility of services, formal services more so, are harder to get.

This culture is very counter-aspie overall. But lean towards socially inclusive allistic.

My biggest worry are to do with borrowing too much ideas from the abroad, take the negative ones to heart and carry the fear mongering stigmas.

And the in-joke on plenty overpopulated countries -- "From where I came from, less financial stability = more children" not the other way around. :lol:

But seriously, I understand how that's an issue.
It's not just the family centric culture or poor sex education -- there's also this mindset with children as some form of investment.

Quote:
It's not just the family centric culture or poor sex education -- there's also this mindset with children as some form of investment

Thats because life is hard with no outside support, healthcare or welfare so the parents expect the children to look after them when they are older

There`s also a safety in numbers mindset where if there`s more of you its possible to share round the wealth or food.

The same thing existed here a century ago where larger families were the norm, but this was sadly also because it was expected that some children would die.

In principle, yes.

In fact, that's how it works here. Usually around the rural areas. Better around 50+ years ago.
Disastrous in less sustainable places with high standards and cost of living though.

Another norm here is sending breadwinners abroad and gamble their fate in it.
Because it has more opportunities and their slave wages is 10x worth in average.
Common economy status norm.

I think this norm may be dying because of this year.

The degrees of separation in effect is more observable here to some extent.

And yes, it requires social skills to facilitate it. It can be so annoying though if one doesn't close their lines.

Speaking of socializing...
There's a lot of holidays here. There are feasts. There are religious doings. ​Then Christmas that lasts for at least 3 months...
Yadda-yadda..

New year is always super chaotic. It's getting quieter since fireworks became less legal to get.
The best holiday is a religious holiday; where many places are basically ghost towns for a few days...

Religion. I dunno about this, even if I were so close in proximity at it. Etc...

The attitudes is at least influenced by a Chinese belief where having a mentally disabled child pays some karma balance book and brought luck... Here it extends to any children with disabilities.
Not everyone subscribes to this belief.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.