Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

CloudSea
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Jul 2021, 7:00 am

Hi guys, this question has probably been asked before in this forum but I couldn't find the thread, sorry! So I'm figuring that others who are interested in this question would also have difficulty.

I'd love to know what careers work for Aspies (no pun intended). I myself am in customer support (phone-based, so none of the dreaded eye-contact necessary :lol: ). Still, I do wonder if the grass is greener on the other side sometimes. (I'm over-qualified for this role :| )

Thanks!

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2021, 3:26 am

CloudSea wrote:
Hi guys, this question has probably been asked before in this forum but I couldn't find the thread, sorry! So I'm figuring that others who are interested in this question would also have difficulty.

I'd love to know what careers work for Aspies (no pun intended). I myself am in customer support (phone-based, so none of the dreaded eye-contact necessary :lol: ). Still, I do wonder if the grass is greener on the other side sometimes. (I'm over-qualified for this role :| )

Thanks!

Landscaper might work.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2021, 3:52 am

Without much thought, the most popular and in-demand occupation for aspies is software programmer or coding
https://www.codemonkey.com/blog/3-reaso ... ogramming/
https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-46538125

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2021, 8:39 am

Accounting

Manual labor

NeilM
Toucan
Toucan

15 Jul 2021, 6:33 pm

Anything you can do with computers holds promise, especially now with all of the robotic applications. Robotics are growing exponentially and every last one of them has to be installed, programmed, maintained, upgraded, and either repaired or declared not cost effective to repair. Someone has to do all of those tasks, it may as well be you. And sounds like perfect work for HFA/AS individuals.

AQ = 38 MBTI = ISTJ Gender = Non-binary
I strive not to perseverate. You can PM me for more info.

CloudSea
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Jul 2021, 6:35 am

Thanks guys! I'm aware that I'm reasonably fortunate to have something to do and to get paid for it. Believe me that it's a journey that's had its fair share of twists and turns.

For the benefit of those who are searching for a (new) vocation, please keep the suggestions coming. Also why it would be good for Aspies (i.e. suit the unique strengths and weaknesses), if you have the inclination to further edify your fellow person :wink:

timf
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2021, 9:36 am

If you are an extrovert (which some aspies are), sales might be a fit.

If you are an introvert, IT, Medicine, mechanic, or any work that is more one your own.

Harry Haller
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Jul 2021, 1:06 pm

Most fields pretty large, with many subdivisions.

Biggest challenge is finding what one genuinely likes to do. Genuine interest goes a long way.
From there once identified, then selecting a subdivision that allows intense focus with a minimum of being interrupted/distracted.

So like the post above suggests if the interest is medicine, than might be most satisfied in radiology or pathology - otherwise there will be constant interruption. Surgery is fine too, except for clinic.

(BTW suggest a field that optimally allows self-care, not being on-call 36 hours etc. Optimizing nutrition, rest/sleep, working out helps optimize brain performance - which helps a lot)