Anyone out there have a retired NT partner?

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

HarpyEagle
Butterfly
Butterfly

15 Jul 2021, 6:00 am

Hi, I am 46 and have been married to an NT man for a long time. He is kind and a lot of fun, but in these (uk) Covid times, he has been working from home and I have learnt just how much I need my protected space. My mental health has really suffered and I even developed an eating disorder. Now, he has gone back to the office and all is hunky dory again. However, I am worried about what will happen when he retires. He is older than me, so it could be fairly soon (a few years). I have some work commitments outside of the home, but not many. Is anyone with an ASC in the situation where an autistic partner has retired and is suddenly home a lot? Has the relationship survived or is it crumbling? Thanks.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2021, 9:11 am

Is there any chance you could afford to move to a larger house/apartment/whatever with more rooms, or perhaps two separate neighboring apartments? If possible, that might be a good way to be together as much as you like, but stay out of each other's hair when you need your alone time.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2021, 9:13 am

I'm autistic. My boyfriend is NT and he's retired. We don't live together though.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2021, 1:10 pm

My partner got fired from his job about a year and a half ago, and thanks to the pandemic he's been unable to find a suitable job since (plus he was shielding before he got vaccinated). So he's been at home with me all day every day for the past year and a half. I don't think my ASD has made me unable to cope with him being there, as we're so used to each other now, that we just do our own thing like the other isn't there. But I do sometimes feel fed up when he was the TV on all day.

HarpyEagle
Butterfly
Butterfly

16 Jul 2021, 3:52 am

Thanks for the posts. Luckily, though our house now is quite small, it is in an expensive area and we have been thinking about selling up and moving somewhere that we like but that happens to be cheaper. If anyone knows the Uk south-west well, we love Glastonbury and will probably move there. I think I shall have to make sure that we buy a house with some sort of annex which can be my area alone. Hopefully then, I shall be able to keep both my marriage and my sanity.

that1weirdgrrrl
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2021, 12:22 am

HarpyEagle wrote:
Thanks for the posts. Luckily, though our house now is quite small, it is in an expensive area and we have been thinking about selling up and moving somewhere that we like but that happens to be cheaper. If anyone knows the Uk south-west well, we love Glastonbury and will probably move there. I think I shall have to make sure that we buy a house with some sort of annex which can be my area alone. Hopefully then, I shall be able to keep both my marriage and my sanity.

That sounds like a great solution! I hope it works out :heart:

This might sound crazy, but maybe if both you and he each get your own area, that would be even better. That way he wont feel banished from part of his own house, because he'll also have his own space as well. :lol:

HarpyEagle
Butterfly
Butterfly

17 Jul 2021, 1:42 am

Good point, that1weirdgrrl! Suggesting he has his own area as well would definitely be a better way to float the proposal.