Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

cglenn
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Jul 2021, 12:24 pm

[These questions should be in an FAQ, but I don't see any such thing.]

New here, and I'm experiencing search frustration. First, can I search within a forum? How come search results don't even say at which forum they were posted?

Also, mulit-thread post question: If I don't get (helpful) responses from one area, how long do I need to wait to try another area?

Found another issue to ask about: After looking thru a few forums, all only have one page of topics, maybe going back only 1-2 months. So at the bottom I selected to show posts up to 1 year ago, clicked on GO, only to find the exact same one-page list of topics. So how do I look at older posts, or can't I.

PS TX for letting me edit!

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

15 Jul 2021, 12:33 pm

search.php

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

cglenn
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Jul 2021, 12:59 pm

Thank you. Do I need to bookmark this, or is there something I can click on to get there? All I see is the simple search box and see now way on the forum site to click to your valuable posted link.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

15 Jul 2021, 1:26 pm

Unfortuantely, no easy click I would know of.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

15 Jul 2021, 3:44 pm

cglenn wrote:
Thank you. Do I need to bookmark this, or is there something I can click on to get there? All I see is the simple search box and see now way on the forum site to click to your valuable posted link.
Click on that link and then bookmark the page that appears.
It may be useful to have it available in a separate browser tab so once it's bookmarked, right-click on the bookmark and select "Open in new tab" (the wording probably varies between browsers but it should be clear).

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

15 Jul 2021, 3:59 pm

cglenn wrote:
Also, mulit-thread post question: If I don't get (helpful) responses from one area, how long do I need to wait to try another area?
That depends on what you're asking and in what forum but in general, choosing the most appropriate forum should avoid any multi-posting.
Also, how long is a piece of string? :wink: There are many unknowable factors that could influence members' decisions to post/not post in response so it might take some time. Members post from many different time zones so that's another factor.
Quote:
After looking thru a few forums, all only have one page of topics, maybe going back only 1-2 months. So at the bottom I selected to show posts up to 1 year ago, clicked on GO, only to find the exact same one-page list of topics. So how do I look at older posts, or can't I.
You can indeed - at the bottom of the search results display you can click on "Previous" (to go back one page) or select a specific page number for larger jumps. If there is no "Previous" link displayed then the only results found are being displayed.

This Previous/page number selection also applies on any thread exceeding one page, where it's available at the head and foot of a thread's page.

cglenn
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Jul 2021, 4:03 pm

Thank you, Mr. Giraffe :lol:

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

15 Jul 2021, 4:11 pm

Umm, "woof". :lol:

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2021, 5:13 am

cglenn wrote:

Another thing you can do in that case is ask the moderators to move your original thread, if in retrospect you see another area that looks more appropriate.