George Floyd Mural Destroyed by Lightning.

Page 6 of 8 [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2021, 12:50 am

Pepe wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
No one should feel guilt for something that they're ancestors, or particular group they belong to, had done, but which they personally were not responsible for.

Well if we can't feel guilt for what our ancestors did that means we're not culpable for great great grandpa Adam and great great grandma Eve did.

We're talking about flawed human nature given to bad choices in that case, whether we accept the Adam and Eve story, itself.

You are a committed Christian.
It is your duty to believe in religious excentricities.
I should know.
I was one too. 8)

Bad choices?
Wanting to be enlightened via the fruit of knowledge is a bad choice?
Sounds like he is trying to discourage critical thinking. 8)

Whether you want to take the Genesis account literally with choosing to eat a fruit isn't the point. Human nature is flawed and pretty detestable, and is in need of setting right.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2021, 1:00 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
No one should feel guilt for something that they're ancestors, or particular group they belong to, had done, but which they personally were not responsible for.

Well if we can't feel guilt for what our ancestors did that means we're not culpable for great great grandpa Adam and great great grandma Eve did.

We're talking about flawed human nature given to bad choices in that case, whether we accept the Adam and Eve story, itself.

I should know.
I was one too. 8)

Bad choices?

Whether you want to take the Genesis account literally with choosing to eat a fruit isn't the point. Human nature is flawed and pretty detestable, and is in need of setting right.

Can't be done. Human nature will always be detestable.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2021, 1:05 am

Scientists have a very good idea what the original Adam (our collective ancestor) looked like

I'm afraid it will give conservative christian MAGAs nightmares
https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn ... uncovered/

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2021, 1:21 am

cyberdad wrote:
Scientists have a very good idea what the original Adam (our collective ancestor) looked like

I hope the MAGAs poop their pants in terror over that!

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2021, 1:24 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

I should know.
I was one too. 8)

Bad choices?

You won't get an argument from me on that. 8)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2021, 1:27 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Who doesn't know that?
Jesus wasn't a whitie either. 8)

Last edited by Pepe on 23 Jul 2021, 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2021, 1:28 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

I'm just replying to bump grandpappies image a few more times :lol:

This is the kind of thing the anti-CRT folk would like to ban from the curriculum because (coincidentally) they also object and probably protested evolution, (Now we know why :lol: )

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2021, 5:19 am

cyberdad wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

I'm just replying to bump grandpappies image a few more times :lol:

This is the kind of thing the anti-CRT folk would like to ban from the curriculum because (coincidentally) they also object and probably protested evolution, (Now we know why :lol: )

I doubt many of those who "protest evolution" would really care what those who belive in it have to say on the subject of what the "original Adam" looked like.

In fact, a large portion would likely be quite satisfied to see that the "original Adam" resembed the image supplied - Given a belief in creation would likely require a belief that the "word of god" (scriptures) be taken (at least in part) literally, and the bible (specfically the "old testament") covers more than merely the various branches of christianity (Judaism and Islam are also based upon this, for example), and with Christianity being a global religion, there would be a large portion of the global population who would likely welcome seeing the image.

Looking at the 2014 Pew "Religious landscape study" in the USA, the Jehova's Witnesses (74%) are the most likely to believe that "Human's always existed in the present form" (creation), followed by "Evangalical Protestant" (57%), Mormons (52%), "Historically Black Protestant" (45%) and Muslims (41%). [1]

Interestingly, there is not a huge difference between the "Democrats" and "Republicans" in terms of taking everything in scripture literally - which is the closest to a link between political views and a belief in creation\evolution that I could find there - (38% of those who believe this were\leaned Democrat, 44% were\leaned Republican), or only taking certain portions literally (38% of those who believe this were\leaned Democrat, 46% were\leaned Republican), as well as Females being more likely than males to believe scripture is the word of god (literally, partially literally, other\don't know how literal. Males were more likely to believe scripture is not the word of god, with an equal split for other\don't know). [2]

Above taken from: [1]https://www.pewforum.org/religious-landscape-study/views-about-human-evolution/ and [2]https://www.pewforum.org/religious-landscape-study/interpreting-scripture/

Certainly an interesting set of results, that may not necessarily align with the common stereotypes many perpetuate...

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2021, 7:41 am

Why would this "Adam" image give Conservatives nightmares? They are no more racist than Progressives.

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2021, 7:46 am

Speaking of taking scripture "literally"
One must apply the Literal Principal of Biblical interpretation while reading scripture. That is to take the individual passage in the sense that it was written. It may be instruction, history, poetry, prophecy, ect. Rather than taking it in a strict literal sense that would lead to many misinterpretations and distortions.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2021, 8:07 am

Damm, Adam is ripped.Just look at that six-pac.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2021, 8:09 am

Mr Reynholm wrote:
Why would this "Adam" image give Conservatives nightmares? They are no more racist than Progressives.

Than why do so many conservatives fly the blue line flag? Its not a secret that that's a racist symbol these days. No such thing as blue lives...least not on this planet.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2021, 8:15 am

According to those who believe in a god, they believe the old testament says not have any graven image before him. Still, those pesky prophets talked about hearing from their god that things like this would happen. This is second natural phenomenon. Just a few months earlier, in the Galapagos Islands, the ocean washed away Darwin's arch.

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2021, 9:38 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:

Than why do so many conservatives fly the blue line flag? Its not a secret that that's a racist symbol these days. No such thing as blue lives...least not on this planet.

It isn't a racist symbol to Law Enforcement. (Some of who happen to be black) Its a symbol of support for police.
Just because the ADL or SPLC says it is doesn't make it so. They were even trolled not too long ago into making the "OK" hand gesture into a racist symbol.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2021, 9:46 am

It's not a racist symbol, it's just a pro-police brutality symbol. See Sweetleaf, that's much better. 8)

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2021, 10:16 am

funeralxempire wrote:
It's not a racist symbol, it's just a pro-police brutality symbol. See Sweetleaf, that's much better. 8)

Who is most likely to be on the receiving end of police brutality?