Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

TimmyTurnerFan1
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Jul 2021, 12:51 am

Unseen Unheard wrote:

I have also lived overseas and interstate and travelled widely but that doesn't seem to stop me from having much the same dreams over and over again. I think the "back in school" dream is pretty common. I had it again last night and it's been almost 40 years since I left school. But I have this recurring dream that it's the last day of school and I didn't sit for any exams so I know I have failed but I just keep pretending that I am graduating like everyone else. It's actually a super annoying dream I have very regularly.

Eh, we're all different and dream differently. What happens to one person doesn't always happen to another!

I guess what happened with me was I was a little kid and didn't see very much or live long enough and that might be why I kept having the same dream though I didn't have it every single night. But when I lived more years, my brain developed more, and I got to see more places and things, those dreams I had of Martin Luther King or whoever that Mustached man was slowed down. Unfortunately I still still had nightmares of MLK tickling me but they were different, my last one happened when I was 10!

But the variety of my dreams have gotten wider!

Well I guess I still have recurring dreams, but they're not repeating dreams like I had when I was 1 or 2-4 years old! (Yes I can remember some dreams I had back when I was 2! Don't get jealous, I didn't like some of them!) But my recurring dreams are as I said of me still being in school, and college, and forgetting to do my homework by its due date, or not remembering where my class is! Or me still living under my parents rules, being bossed around by them, going along with things, etc. Sometimes though I was aware of what was going on and did have the courage to stand up to my parents, try to resist them, even walk out on them (in my dreams!) Still I hear you on the annoyance!

I think reading your post helped me explain myself better!

To everyone reading, I made my own dream post by the way viewtopic.php?t=398635 I'm hoping to get some comments to that.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2021, 5:32 am

Unseen Unheard wrote:
For as long as I can remember I do this thing each night as I begin to fall asleep, where I pick up from the last dream I had the night before and just continue on with the dream. This can happen any time I sleep, even if it's a nap. Whatever I was dreaming last, I continue with the next time I sleep.

I have been searching for years for someone who can explain this to me, unsuccessfully. So I'm now wondering if it is possible that it's an Autistic trait?

Thats fascinating. Never did that. Never even heard of that type of dreaming before.

Have heard of "recurring dreams" which are not quite the same thing. I dont have recurring dreams. Though similar images, recur in my dreams. When I was a child I would fall off tall buildings all of the time, or get squashed in somekind of big machine. As a grown up celebs reappear in dreams- years ago it was Eric Clapton. Recently Taylor Swift appears now and again.

I dont know if the type of dreaming you're talking about is anyway autistic. But aspies/autistic do have a certain kind of recall. People are amazed that I remember conversations I had with them years before (dosnt seem to be amazing to me). And a certain famous jazz musician of the Fifites (whom I suspect was aspie) would finish sentences that he started years earlier when he re met the person he started the conversation with years later.

Unseen Unheard
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Jul 2021, 6:57 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
People are amazed that I remember conversations I had with them years before (dosnt seem to be amazing to me).

Haha... my husband HATES that I can do that. He says that I remember everything that he has ever said to me, and he's not far wrong.

cornerpiece
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 Jul 2021, 9:57 pm

Unseen Unheard wrote:
Haha.... that's so cool. I know I'm not dreaming remembering the previous dream cause I am not completely unconscious yet. It starts before I am completely asleep, just remembering the previous dream as I fall asleep.

But do you also remember those dreams during the day? Or do they only come to you as you are starting to fall aeep?

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2021, 1:55 pm

I've had those rare few sleep dreams where I feel I'm mostly neurotypical (NT) - readily interacting with familiar people beyond small-talk.

Personally, objectives to boost social-skills beyond small-talk might possibly have been symbolized via sleep dreams.

What's most amazing is these sleep dreams didn't seem based on any real-life experiences - go figure!

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2021, 3:56 pm

JustFoundHere wrote:
I've had those rare few sleep dreams where I feel I'm mostly neurotypical (NT) - readily interacting with familiar people beyond small-talk.

Personally, objectives to boost social-skills beyond small-talk might possibly have been symbolized via sleep dreams.

What's most amazing is these sleep dreams didn't seem based on any real-life experiences - go figure!

ADDENDUM: Why the lack of interest on Autism Spectrum sleep-dreams feeling very NT-like? Descriptions of such dreams would seem like that "goldmine of sorts" here on WP!!

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2021, 4:43 pm

^^ I have a friend who pays a lot of attention to his dreams, and has lost touch with reality.

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2021, 6:49 pm

AS dreams feeling NT-like usually stem from real-life experiences.

Juliette
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2021, 6:41 pm

Picking up from the last dream I’ve had is something I’ve experienced alot of. I have action packed dreams that almost always involve me not running away/flying from threat(people wanting to harm me ….) and desperately trying to find my way home but never being able to. Sometimes, I’m rescuing babies/children from the same threat and desperately trying to keep them safe with me. Something I learned last week … never sleep, having consumed Seeded bread(with poppy seeds) and any amount of alcohol no matter how small … :o !

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2021, 2:07 pm

Anybody try remembering sleep dreams where one feels NT-like?

Dream descriptions of feeling NT-like might just be of interest here on WP!

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2021, 2:32 pm

JustFoundHere wrote:
Anybody try remembering sleep dreams where one feels NT-like?

Dream descriptions of feeling NT-like might just be of interest here on WP!

That is meaningless. To "feel NT" in a dream. I always "feel NT" awake or asleep, even though I am diagnosed aspergers.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2021, 7:00 pm

^
Seems about right. ASD rarely features at all in my dreams. The plots of my dreams don't normally include any situations where my autism might be thrown into relief. I suppose it's kind of surprising, given that I think about ASD on most days while I'm awake - dreams usually consist of the things we've been experiencing and thinking about.