Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Unseen Unheard
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Jul 2021, 7:18 pm

For as long as I can remember I do this thing each night as I begin to fall asleep, where I pick up from the last dream I had the night before and just continue on with the dream. This can happen any time I sleep, even if it's a nap. Whatever I was dreaming last, I continue with the next time I sleep.

I have been searching for years for someone who can explain this to me, unsuccessfully. So I'm now wondering if it is possible that it's an Autistic trait?

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2021, 8:31 pm

I don't see how autism can dictate the way you dream. It's probably just some skill you have. I bet there are some people out there who share this same experience. Not me though.

Unseen Unheard
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Jul 2021, 8:41 pm

Joe90 wrote:
I don't see how autism can dictate the way you dream. It's probably just some skill you have. I bet there are some people out there who share this same experience. Not me though.

I thought that maybe it had something to do with the way the Autistic brain stores and access information. It is thought that dreaming is the brains way of processing info.

cornerpiece
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Jul 2021, 11:00 pm

Sometimes in my dream I have a feeling that it is a continuation of the previous dream. But when I wake up, I can't remember that I had the first dream, and I usually conclude that I dreamed up not only my dream, but also the fact that I had the preceding dream.

So its like dreaming of memories of other dreams... if you know what I mean.

Unseen Unheard
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Jul 2021, 12:04 am

cornerpiece wrote:
Sometimes in my dream I have a feeling that it is a continuation of the previous dream. But when I wake up, I can't remember that I had the first dream, and I usually conclude that I dreamed up not only my dream, but also the fact that I had the preceding dream.

So its like dreaming of memories of other dreams... if you know what I mean.

Haha.... that's so cool. I know I'm not dreaming remembering the previous dream cause I am not completely unconscious yet. It starts before I am completely asleep, just remembering the previous dream as I fall asleep.

mohsart
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2021, 2:41 am

I very seldom remember my dreams.
When I do it's either reoccuring dreams or lucid dreams.
One perhaps strange thing is that I quite often have what others would concider nightmares, but I usually enjoy them!

/Mats

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2021, 7:58 am

I have had some recurring dreams, and sometimes a series of similar themes. "Continued" dreams are very rare, about on par with prophetic ones.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2021, 9:58 am

No continuing dreams here, but I do get some dreams with recurring themes. The most common one is that I'm back at my workplace and I realise that I've been working for them for nothing for a year, and that I'm free to walk out any time I like without any financial penalty.

Unseen Unheard
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Jul 2021, 5:59 pm

ToughDiamond wrote:
No continuing dreams here, but I do get some dreams with recurring themes. The most common one is that I'm back at my workplace and I realise that I've been working for them for nothing for a year, and that I'm free to walk out any time I like without any financial penalty.

I also have a few recurring theme dreams as well. I often dream I am back working for people I haven't worked for in decades. I also very often dream about old houses I used to live in and either I am living there again, or I am purchasing the house now. Weird.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2021, 7:37 pm

Unseen Unheard wrote:
I also have a few recurring theme dreams as well. I often dream I am back working for people I haven't worked for in decades. I also very often dream about old houses I used to live in and either I am living there again, or I am purchasing the house now. Weird.

Beats me why that "back in the old workplace" thing is so common - yours is the third case I know of. But mine is the only one I know of so far that has anything like a happy ending.

TimmyTurnerFan1
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Jul 2021, 8:16 am

I used to have recurring dreams when I was a toddler, and later when I was four of my mother walking out on me and then this bald man in a mustache would come and tickle me and sometimes rub his mustache against where mine would eventually be, and that's one reason why I don't like mustaches. Later that Martin Luther King Jr became that man (my great great grandmother, who I was living with or visiting at the time had a picture of him in her basement,) and that's why despite my being black, I didn't like Martin Luther King Jr at the time, I was scared of and turned off by him, not fully understanding he was dead. Don't worry most of my attitude towards Dr. King changed, sad he was shot and killed, he was a really good man too, especially since he was invited to dinner!

I don't have recurring dreams anymore, well I rarely do, maybe because I've lived for years and seen lots of things, even lived overseas. No usually my dreams are random and every dream is different from the previous one. I rarely have dreams that pick up where they left off (it only happened once to me that I can remember) and I too have dreams of memories of other dreams or dreams based on previous dreams!

I also have dreams of people and places I haven't seen in years like old schools, old homes, teachers, classmates, etc. Sometimes I dream I'm still in school though I've graduated college and that's so annoying! I even still dream of living under my parents' rules, which is also annoying especially since I'm an adult, especially when I get spanked despite being an IRL adult! I feel helpless and more like a puppet in my dreams!

But you know what I wish? I could lucid dream more and control what I dream about or choose what I dream about instead of just having random unexpected and sometimes unwanted dreams! One thing I like to dream about is being with cartoon characters in person or having pet rabbits, and other things I want to do but cannot do in real life!

Unseen Unheard
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Jul 2021, 5:26 pm

TimmyTurnerFan1 wrote:
I don't have recurring dreams anymore, well I rarely do, maybe because I've lived for years and seen lots of things, even lived overseas.

I also have dreams of people and places I haven't seen in years like old schools, old homes, teachers, classmates, etc. Sometimes I dream I'm still in school though I've graduated college and that's so annoying!

I have also lived overseas and interstate and travelled widely but that doesn't seem to stop me from having much the same dreams over and over again. I think the "back in school" dream is pretty common. I had it again last night and it's been almost 40 years since I left school. But I have this recurring dream that it's the last day of school and I didn't sit for any exams so I know I have failed but I just keep pretending that I am graduating like everyone else. It's actually a super annoying dream I have very regularly.

AngelL
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Jul 2021, 7:07 pm

I am certainly not trying to hijack your thread but my experience, while different, might be close enough to yours to be of interest to you. While I don't pick up where I left off, I very often seem to pick up where I didn't like the direction the dream went in.

i.e. I approach someone and ask them for a date, they say 'yes'. I get to their house late to pick them up and things start to deteriorate from there. Next time I go to sleep, I might begin the dream after they said yes, or as I'm pulling up to their home to pick them up on time this time. We stopped for dinner before the movie and dinner was great but they hated the movie. Next time I go to sleep the dream might start as we're leaving the restaurant.

I always thought it weird but never mentioned it to anyone. Just putting it here in the event you find any value in hearing about this experience.

Unseen Unheard
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Jul 2021, 8:40 pm

AngelL wrote:
I always thought it weird but never mentioned it to anyone. Just putting it here in the event you find any value in hearing about this experience.

That's pretty cool actually. I wish I could do that. Especially with recurring dreams I'm not fond of. Would love to be able to give a different ending to those. Thanks for sharing. :heart:

AngelL
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Jul 2021, 8:43 pm

Unseen Unheard wrote:
That's pretty cool actually. I wish I could do that. Especially with recurring dreams I'm not fond of. Would love to be able to give a different ending to those. Thanks for sharing. :heart:

Apparently I'm such a perfectionist that I won't stop dreaming about it till the dream is perfect. lol :)

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2021, 10:05 pm

Another one of mine is where I'm travelling by plane and I get lost / lose items from my baggage / fail to get to the airport in time.