Well, Trump was working for the Russians all along.

Page 5 of 7 [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2021, 6:17 pm

@Kraichgauer
You completely missed the point.

When I brought up American propaganda in influencing politics in Cuba, the point was that foreign influence and meddling can occur WITHOUT consent or even knowledge from the factions they're working for or against.

Yes, Putin may have "weaponized' Trump; doesn't mean Trump orchestrated or consented to the weaponization.

Also, you could argue it was more of a weaponization against Hillary. Regardless of outside propaganda, you're lamenting how your countrymen ultimately chose to vote in 2016. The article doesn't allege that Putin altered the votes.

In any election, there is propaganda. With a World Wide Web, non-Americans can add their own propaganda. Propaganda exists. Ultimately it's up to the voters to decide.

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2021, 6:21 pm

...and all the article really tells us is that Putin believed that being pro-Trump would be a good thing in destabilizing America's role in the world. So, he feigned admiration and went along with support for Trump, and Trump ate it up.

Foreign policy- we can't control how foreign leaders chose to behave toward our leaders and for what reason.

So, Putin had an ulterior motive in being pro-Trump. What does that have to do with the American voter?

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2021, 6:32 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:
This doesn't sound very "pro-Russia" either:

https://amp-cnn-com.cdn.ampproject.org/ ... 5251%2524s

Trump bent over backwards denying that Putin had first instigated a cyberwar with us, and only reacted against the Russians when pushed by political opposition.
As far as Syria is concerned - - not much actually grew out of what might have been theater put on for Americans by Putin and Trump. Yes, I know I sound paranoid by saying so, but then again, such things are hardly beyond the realm of possibilities when it comes to a spymaster like Putin.

You may be correct, but it still doesn't mean Trump was working for the Russians.

Again, it's a piece of a puzzle, making a picture clearer. And that picture is of Trump clearly favoring Putin over our traditional allies. One has to ask - perhaps rhetorically - why.

Read the last paragraph of my previous post. Of course he might favor Putin because of shared beliefs, interests and values. Prime Minister Netanyahu of Israel and Trump were great buddies for the same reason.

When you complete the puzzle, and have solid evidence to support your claims, I'd be happy to hear it. Until then, it still remains conjecture.

Yes, Trump loves his strongmen, which he had yearned to be one of. And Putin used that to manipulate Trump. Have you taken into account that Putin wants to see American power destroyed and humiliated on the world stage? Because it fits with his use of Trump. Maybe what I'm seeing is ultimately just conjecture, but that hardly means I'm wrong. Why are you so eager to exonerate Trump?

I'm not eager to "exonerate " any one. I just deal in truth and the facts.

If further evidence emerges, I'll be happy to examine it. Until then, your assumptions are just a theory.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2021, 7:07 pm

As mentioned in The Guardian article internal Russian documents are almost never leaked. Who leaked this and why now? The timing of this leak does not seem to make sense. The mid terms are over a year away and the next Presidential election over three years away. But something like this does not happen without a reason.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2021, 7:38 pm

ezbzbfcg2 wrote:
@Kraichgauer
You completely missed the point.

When I brought up American propaganda in influencing politics in Cuba, the point was that foreign influence and meddling can occur WITHOUT consent or even knowledge from the factions they're working for or against.

Yes, Putin may have "weaponized' Trump; doesn't mean Trump orchestrated or consented to the weaponization.

Also, you could argue it was more of a weaponization against Hillary. Regardless of outside propaganda, you're lamenting how your countrymen ultimately chose to vote in 2016. The article doesn't allege that Putin altered the votes.

In any election, there is propaganda. With a World Wide Web, non-Americans can add their own propaganda. Propaganda exists. Ultimately it's up to the voters to decide.

With intelligence work, one can "work" for another entity without realizing it. Personally, though, I believe Putin did have something compromising on Trump. No, it didn't necessarily have to be a "pee tape," though that would be funny. More likely, it was Trump being financially indebted to Russia through Deutsche Bank.

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2021, 9:11 pm

Fnord wrote:
Brictoria wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:
Fnord wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:
Fnord wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:
cyclist_Netherlands wrote:
Is it not wiser to consider Donald Trump as a symptom instead of a cause?
He was a symtom of the disease...
... and a cause or catalyst of others.
Maybe. You'll have to elaborate.
A slow or non-existent response to a global pandemic could catalyze the pandemic into a deadly plague, for example.

I agree, but I give him partial blame, because the U.S. isn't the only country with s poor Covid response..

It wasn't just other countries: I seem to recall leadership in the legislative branch were also working against actions that he was trying to take (trying to convince the public that his travel bans were"racist", for instance)...
Thank you for highlighting my quotes in orange!  It is not my usual "basic black", but it is much more noticable!

I may start using it myself!

Well, I figured you wouldn't mind being the local "orange man" when I chose the colour, based upon your signature and posts...Seems I was right :D

Last edited by Brictoria on 16 Jul 2021, 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2021, 9:23 pm

Orange Cat good. :nerdy:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2021, 9:29 pm

My previous cat Floyd’s father was orange.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2021, 10:19 pm

It isn't incredibly shocking given the Trumps were the ones who approached the Russians
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa- ... SKBN19W1VW

Russian intelligence will of course deny any link they had with Trump during this time and remove any loose ends that might expose communication between them/Putin/Trumps.

I look forward to more intelligence leaks.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2021, 12:09 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
My previous cat Floyd’s father was orange.

Was he an exotic shorthair like Momo (or Garfield), or some other type? :nerdy:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2021, 12:18 am

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2021, 4:46 am

cyberdad wrote:

:lol: :lol:

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2021, 4:48 am

cyberdad wrote:
It isn't incredibly shocking given the Trumps were the ones who approached the Russians
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa- ... SKBN19W1VW

Russian intelligence will of course deny any link they had with Trump during this time and remove any loose ends that might expose communication between them/Putin/Trumps.

I look forward to more intelligence leaks.

If true - and I believe it is - that means so much for the notion that Trump was being used unbeknownst to him.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2021, 5:10 am

Nope. He was an alleycat named Ike.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2021, 5:27 am

This has been known for years. Russian trolls boosted trump online because he was putin's favoured useful idiot.. that has been in the news for years. There were articles about Russian intelligence agents toasting their success when trump got elected etc. How is this leaked document supposed to be a revelation about anything?? :?

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2021, 8:48 am

Mountain Goat wrote:
Did you know in the cold war, the American and Russian governments were in daily talks about all sorts of unrelated things such as education and other policies. There was no actual cold war as both governments at high level were on friendly terms. They just kept up the cold war idea to keep their people in fear so they could control them more easily.

I think this is an oversimplification.

It's true, alas, that the cold war was sometimes used to create authoritarian panics, e.g. McCarthyism. But that doesn't mean the cold war itself was fake.

There really WAS a cold war. Rivalry between great powers is an inevitable fact of geopolitical life.

Nevertheless, it was in the best interests of both sides to keep the peace and, where possible, to cooperate on matters of international concern.

The cold war ended -- temporarily -- only when the Soviet Union dissolved and the Russian government realized it needed to take a break from being a superpower.

The only way to permanently end cold wars (other than a nuclear Armageddon) would be to give the U.N. a lot more power than it has now. But hardly anyone wants to do that, partly because almost everyone fears being subjected to incompatible cultural values, and partly because the currently-existing national governments just don't want to give up their sovereignty.