Autisticvs non autistic people, as confident re ablity?

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2021, 2:45 am

My default mode is to think I'm useless and worthless. That's punctuated by brief periods of fear driven hubris. Doing well at anything is far more often than not reduced to 'I only did well because it was easy'. The belief being that tons of people could do equally well, or better.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2021, 4:49 am

You are not useless. You know what hubris means. I don't. So already you know more then me! :D

Is hubris the same as debris? A human form of debris? Hu=human?

I think everyone thinks the things they can do are easy and the things they can't do are hard. The difference is that where the difference between easy and hard are in different places for us all.

Uhmmm. I am not helping, but I am trying to say you are a good guy just the way :D you are.

I realized that even in the subjects that I am good at, there are so many tallented people better then me. But this does not matter because I can add some "Me" character to what I do which is something no one else can do, and this "Me" bit in what I do more then compensates for not being as tallented as others are.

mohsart
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2021, 5:27 am

Hubris is when one thinks s/he can do more or better than s/he actually is able to.

/Mats

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2021, 7:59 am

I think I'm at least as confident as the average person in some of my abilities, and my knowledge of general science has always given me something of an edge over the majority who don't seem that familiar with science. I know I'm able to get good results with a variety of practical tasks. Where I'm not so adept, it's very often a result of falling foul of conventions that tend to engineer materials and products to standards other than the ones that would best suit me. In other words, I tend to do things my own way and the rest of the world isn't geared up to support my eccentric methods.

Not surprisingly most of my best abilities are to do with the non-people world. My performance in the world of people has often been rather limited, though it's surprising what I've achieved there too.

So in my case I'm confident in my general abilities. In fact I get a lot of my self-confidence from knowing that if I turn my mind to a specific practical problem, I can usually find a solution that works pretty well. I don't think I'm guilty of hubris. The results of my work, being of a practical nature, are plain to see. If I was often failing to solve problems, it would be obvious.

gwynfryn
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2021, 9:19 am

ToughDiamond wrote:
I think I'm at least as confident as the average person in some of my abilities, and my knowledge of general science has always given me something of an edge over the majority who don't seem that familiar with science. I know I'm able to get good results with a variety of practical tasks. Where I'm not so adept, it's very often a result of falling foul of conventions that tend to engineer materials and products to standards other than the ones that would best suit me. In other words, I tend to do things my own way and the rest of the world isn't geared up to support my eccentric methods.

Not surprisingly most of my best abilities are to do with the non-people world. My performance in the world of people has often been rather limited, though it's surprising what I've achieved there too.

So in my case I'm confident in my general abilities. In fact I get a lot of my self-confidence from knowing that if I turn my mind to a specific practical problem, I can usually find a solution that works pretty well. I don't think I'm guilty of hubris. The results of my work, being of a practical nature, are plain to see. If I was often failing to solve problems, it would be obvious.

I would have given a similar reply: The autistic ego is self referential, and has a very objective view of its own worth. Hubris is for people who have an over developed sense of their own importance, which is to say, most normal people.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2021, 10:31 am

When I'm feeling very frightened and stressed that's when the empty bragging occurs. Outside of that I tend to think that I only do well on things most other people would do well on.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2021, 10:50 am

Mine is confusing. And I want to know why it happens other than just poor sleep.
I want to know why poor sleep happens.

There are literally days I'm as capable as I think I do. And there are times I'm not.

It's frustrating -- if I'm currently truly capable and act that I don't, I'd just waste my time and energy worrying and confused.
And if I thought I'm currently capable when I can't, I'd just be pissed.

No matter how much capacity I currently have, it doesn't equate to awareness until it's too late.

I want internal consistency or self monitoring, self management awareness or both, not confidence.
Confidence, even if backed and tried, is meaningless without consistency.

I'm sick of holding out on "either".

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

demeus
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2021, 11:14 am

I think confidence is something that is learned. If you are told all day that you cannot do something and you believe it, you will never do it, even if you would have the ability had you thought that you could the activity.

Harry Haller
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Jul 2021, 11:59 am

Suspect how we pan out has a lot to do with childhood -
couple 'fun' clips

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WjOowWxOXCg
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fyO8pvpnTdE&t=11s

(There's one on autism also but can't easily locate)

Being consistently targeted by neurotypicals as a child also a factor.

I think seeing "what's real" - to include the past - is the first step in optimizing the now

(Also helps to remember, that just because the mind tells us something, doesn't mean it's true :D )