Right-wingers are responsible for the flooding in Germany

Page 1 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

thinkinginpictures
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2021, 7:54 am

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-57858829

Massive rain has caused devastating flooding in Germany and Belgium.

This is because of the right wingers, making fun of anyone who wants to do something against the climate changes.

The Right never wanted to do anything against the climate changes.

This is what happens, when you allow the Right to have free speech.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2021, 8:13 am

thinkinginpictures wrote:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-57858829

Massive rain has caused devastating flooding in Germany and Belgium.  This is because of the right wingers, making fun of anyone who wants to do something against the climate changes.  The Right never wanted to do anything against the climate changes.  This is what happens, when you allow the Right to have free speech.
Yes ... let us not blame the people who knowingly chose to locate themselves in a flood zone...

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

16 Jul 2021, 8:32 am

^ Let's also not blame victims who found themselves in one, or those who were flooded and lost their homes as a result of rivers bursting their banks. Many of those houses are older than America.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

16 Jul 2021, 8:54 am

From another flood-prone country on European Plains:
The late 20th century was exceptionally dry in the region, kind of a decades-long mild drough. This encouraged building close to riverbanks, including in places that previously were left for floods.
Germany also had a strong policy of regulating rivers during all the 20th century, putting them into well-defined canals convenient for transport.

This plus shortsighted greed of developers resulted in many people living in what should be flooding plains, while flood waves in regulated rivers are much steeper than in unregulated ones - that was the difference between Odra and Wisła in 1997.

I'm very sorry for the Germans, it looks even worse than our 1997 :(

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2021, 8:58 am

Haha ok. Well thinkinginpictures you must in turn accept that the Left is responsible for all the migrant sex attacks in Germany over the last decade. They didn't want to listen regarding immigration and refugees.

This is what happens when you allow the Left to have free speech.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

16 Jul 2021, 9:14 am

I think we should tone down this kind of arguments, in favor of what are the problems we're facing and what to do to solve them.
Climate change operates in much longer timescales than one or another government, we're experiencing results of over 200 years of increasing industrial fossil fuel burning. The effects won't go away with winning a political fight, they would be here even if we wiped out the whole humanity (which I find a way worse scenario than the climate change itself).

There are various things that can be done to adapt to possible floods, cold spells, heat waves, etc. In this case - leaving uninhabited plains with willow woods to flood and avoiding building just next to the banks would make such events way less damaging.
That's how Warsaw suffered much less than Wrocław in 1997. Wisła, through all 20th century lacking funds for regulation, flooded fields and meadows, having its energy dispersed when finally reaching a big city. Odra, regulated back in its German times, hit the city with all the force at once.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2021, 10:25 am

magz wrote:
I think we should tone down this kind of arguments...
Find out who starts them and then deal with them appropriately (imho).

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

16 Jul 2021, 11:57 am

I just saw this:
The village has been built exactly where it shouldn't (old riverbed) and it's really no rocket science to predict what would happen with high water there...
I hope people learn from this.

roronoa79
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2021, 12:41 pm

Unless the right-wingers blew up a dam or intentionally placed these centuries-old towns in flood zones, then no, they are not responsible for this.

Δυνατὰ δὲ οἱ προύχοντες πράσσουσι καὶ οἱ ἀσθενεῖς ξυγχωροῦσιν.
Those with power do what their power permits, and the weak can only acquiesce.

- Thucydides

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

16 Jul 2021, 12:45 pm

It wasn't necessarily the right-wingers who channeled these rivers in 20th century. Everyone wanted to do it back then, to make navigation more efficient.
Typically, the centuries-old parts of the towns are on the high banks - but since 2nd part of 20th century, building in flood zones became common. My country has the same problems every now and then and it's never the Old Towns that get flooded, usually districts from 1970s or newer get underwater.

The climate prone to flooding have been here all the time but relying on artificial regulation makes it catastrophic when its capacity gets exceeded.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2021, 12:53 pm

Hmmmmmmmm. I don't see the connection and I appear to not be alone on this. Why is it that every single freak weather event is always the result of global warming too? They had freak weather events like this hundreds of years ago but many seem to forget that.

You know the proverb about assumptions do you?

roronoa79
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2021, 12:55 pm

magz wrote:
It wasn't necessarily the right-wingers who channeled these rivers in 20th century. Everyone wanted to do it back then, to make navigation more efficient.
Typically, the centuries-old parts of the towns are on the high banks - but since 2nd part of 20th century, building in flood zones became common. My country has the same problems every now and then and it's never the Old Towns that get flooded, usually districts from 1970s or newer get underwater.

Very interesting, I hadn't considered that. The Old Towns got built in more reasonable locations only for new development to spill over into flood-prone areas when the high ground got too full.
Also do you know what town is in that pic you linked? I can't seem to find it.

Δυνατὰ δὲ οἱ προύχοντες πράσσουσι καὶ οἱ ἀσθενεῖς ξυγχωροῦσιν.
Those with power do what their power permits, and the weak can only acquiesce.

- Thucydides

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2021, 12:58 pm

roronoa79 wrote:
magz wrote:

Very interesting, I hadn't considered that. The Old Towns got built in more reasonable locations only for new development to spill over into flood-prone areas when the high ground got too full.

They do the same here in the UK. It's often the result of poor maintenance of rivers and new houses being built on floodplains because floodplains are considerably cheaper to prepare for houses building.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

16 Jul 2021, 1:03 pm

roronoa79 wrote:
magz wrote:

Altenahr.
Quote:
In connection with the castle Burg Are, the valley of Altenahr owned a city wall with three gates, from which the last gate, the “Brückenpforte” (lit. “Bridge gate”) was washed away by the Ahr flood waters in 1804.
https://www.altenahr-ahr.de/en/history Looks like a once-in-200-years event for the location.

thinkinginpictures
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2021, 1:11 pm

Nades wrote:
Hmmmmmmmm. I don't see the connection and I appear to not be alone on this. Why is it that every single freak weather event is always the result of global warming too? They had freak weather events like this hundreds of years ago but many seem to forget that.

You know the proverb about assumptions do you?

It's not one single event. It's many. Flooding in Germany. Ice melting at the North and South poles. 50-60 degrees celcius heat wave in California/Death Valley. You see the pattern? It's all caused by the rise of global temperatures. These events just wouldn't occur with such a high frequency back in the 19th century or earlier.

It was one of these events every 100th year. This now happens EVERY DAMN YEAR!

Last edited by thinkinginpictures on 16 Jul 2021, 2:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

16 Jul 2021, 1:14 pm

Nades wrote:
roronoa79 wrote:
magz wrote:

They do the same here in the UK. It's often the result of poor maintenance of rivers and new houses being built on floodplains because floodplains are considerably cheaper to prepare for houses building.

I'm lucky to be living on the high bank, upriver from the Old Town. The worst that happened here was flooding of our underground garage after heavy rains some 12 years ago. Since then, the garage was modernized to account for such events. Two days ago, elevators stopped working after heavy rains leaked into the shaft. I really think we should account for heavy rainfall more, there were several floods in Poland in my personal memory.