Right-wingers are responsible for the flooding in Germany

Page 3 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2021, 2:01 pm

Mr Reynholm wrote:
The same people who say they follow the science are saying that The only way to end global warming is to give money to the UN.

I'm pretty sure what they actually say is to drastically curtail greenhouse gas emissions. :scratch:

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2021, 2:07 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:
The same people who say they follow the science are saying that The only way to end global warming is to give money to the UN.
I'm pretty sure what they actually say is to drastically curtail greenhouse gas emissions.
Wait, let me get out my Illuminati Decoder Ring.

"Drastically Curtail Greenhouse Gas Emissions" = "D ... R ... I ... N ... K ... O ... V ... A ... L ... T ... I ... N ... E"

:roll: Why does every message from the Illuminati always say the same damned thing?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2021, 6:23 pm

I prefer it with hyperlinks: "D ... R ... I ... N ... K ... O ... V ... A ... L ... T ... I ... N ... E"

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2021, 7:52 pm

Mr Reynholm wrote:

Don't worry, we will fix the climate before an American President will ever face trial in Den Haag, if that's what you're afraid of.

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2021, 1:04 pm

Fnord wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:
I'm pretty sure what they actually say is to drastically curtail greenhouse gas emissions.
Wait, let me get out my Illuminati Decoder Ring.

"Drastically Curtail Greenhouse Gas Emissions" = "D ... R ... I ... N ... K ... O ... V ... A ... L ... T ... I ... N ... E"

:roll: Why does every message from the Illuminati always say the same damned thing?

Wow. You are the Gaslighter in Chief.
Environmental groups aren't about clean environment anymore. Its all a money making racket.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2021, 12:27 am

Mr Reynholm wrote:

So... we're not supposed to trust science?

Redd_Kross
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2021, 5:53 am

Got to love right-wingers who believe in the power of money above all else, but then get pissy when money is used as a tool to manipulate behaviours for environmental benefits.

OMG THEY'VE MADE IT ALL ABOUT THE MONEY AAARRRGGGGHHHHHHH

Should be pleased, it's basically backing up your ideology that money makes the world go round and people are intrinisically greedy. Can only achieve positive social change by wrapping it up in a mechanism that still promotes financial self-interest. What could be more right-wing than that, except not bothering with the positive social change bit at all?

Getting back to the situation in Europe, there have been land reclamation and flood prevention works for many centuries now. It's not that the risk of flooding has been ignored, more that the rate of environmental change might now be greater than the completion rate for new flood prevention / mitigation schemes.

Also worth noting that the philosophy on the Rhine and many other big rivers is controlled flooding rather than complete prevention, and until now that's generally worked very well indeed. It remains to be seen whether this year has been a freak one-off or marks a more fundamental shift.

If the latter, we might be looking at major social upheaval in relocating villages and towns, not just engineering schemes involving pipes, sluices and dams. That's not going to be an easy decision to make. Where do you draw the line and accept that major, expensive and disruptive change is now necessary? That's a genuine question not a rheotorical one. Very tricky judgement to make.

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2021, 7:49 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:

No you're supposed to use some critical thinking skills. Be suspicious of those who ask for money and those who claim government is the answer.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2021, 2:29 pm

Mr Reynholm wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:

No you're supposed to use some critical thinking skills. Be suspicious of those who ask for money and those who claim government is the answer.

As opposed to those scientists on corporate payrolls, such as those who once said lead wasn't harmful?

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2021, 2:47 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:

As opposed to those scientists on corporate payrolls, such as those who once said lead wasn't harmful?

You are talking in circles. But I am glad to see that you admit that scientists can be swayed by money. Big money also exists in other institutions that employ scientists such as academia, government, political parties and foundations. That is why it is important for individuals to not treat science as an oracle and to investigate things themselves.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2021, 6:42 pm

Mr Reynholm wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:

You are talking in circles. But I am glad to see that you admit that scientists can be swayed by money. Big money also exists in other institutions that employ scientists such as academia, government, political parties and foundations. That is why it is important for individuals to not treat science as an oracle and to investigate things themselves.

I'm not talking in circles, because it's corporations who have been proven to pay scientists to act as shills, as big business did when they tried to refute the dangers of lead poisoning.
Other than accusations, I fail to see evidence of the government paying scientists to lie, save for Trump's anti-vaxxer crusade.

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2021, 9:02 pm

Mr Reynholm wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:

okay. will you fund my research?

also: neoliberals and conservatives tend to talk about technical solutions for climate change, yet don't eant to fund research into those - while happily funding arms research and subsidizing fossil fuel technologies. - so new renewable energy tevhnologies need money to get off the ground, and carbon capture and sequestration needs more research. fine. this is a question about where eavh nation wants to go, this century.
not deciding is, due to the increase in atmospheric CO2 and the half life of CO2 in the atmosphere, de facto a decision against tackling the problem, and yes, it's also a decision against a technical solution to the problem.

I'd love to do my own research, but right now I have to study medicine and get a phase 3 trial for an mRNA vaccine for Coronavirus going, which soon 2 Billion people will have been vaccinated with. So that'll take me about 15 years. I also have to get an investogative journalism degree and find out whether someone stole the election, also more medocine to learn if 5G is actually deadly and lots of other things.basically, I'll spend the rest of my life doing research and getting the qualifications for it. by then, Miami and Shanghai should be gone.

oh god, I totly forgot I have to become an astronaut amd check the shape of the earth. I might not have time to do my own chemistry and physics and meteorology degrees so I can do climate research, even if you fund me. what now?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2021, 3:12 am

I mean these days I would not even put that past them.