66% of southern republicans want to Secede from the US

Page 2 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2021, 10:52 pm

Mona Pereth wrote:
How does what I said have anything do do with who is wrong or right?

He's playing his favourite game of sniping at other posters rather than looking at the data

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2021, 1:16 am

Mona Pereth wrote:
Brictoria wrote:
Mona Pereth wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
The democrat pacific states wanting to secede is understandable in the California and Hawaii are the only culturally progressive states in the US not dominated by the white christian right. If I was Californian I'd want to have nothing to do with the redneck states.

No, there are plenty of other states (such as New York, New Jersey, and the New England states) that aren't dominated by the white Christian right.

Furthermore, the cultural divide really is, primarily, a rural vs. urban thing, rather than a regional thing. The Democratic-dominated states are, for the most part, states in which the majority of the population lives in large cities or nearby suburbs thereof. The Republican-dominated states are states in which that's not the case. But, within almost every state, there are some culturally left-wing areas and some culturally right-wing areas.

Be careful: You're poking holes in his belief that the "left" can never be wrong, and the "right" can only ever be wrong...

How does what I said have anything do do with who is wrong or right?

The "right or wrong" was in relation to how the OP reflexively seeks to present their interpretation of "information" in the manner I described.

The focus of the original post was on how the "evil right" wanted to secede, and assertions that only 2 states were "culturally progressive", whereas you were demonstrating that the country was not divided in the way the OP assumed.

As you mentioned in your post, the OP's assertion that all other states besides California and Hawaii are "redneck states" was demonstratably false, yet had been used as a "justification" to present the desire of the "left" as being "good" (In this case: 'that it is "understandable" that California would wish to secede as a result').

This was presented as a counterpart to the prior assertion in the original post that the 13 southern states (or '"part of Abraham Lincoln" wants to fly confederate flags and bring back Jim Crow') were in favor of seceding solely for bad reasons, which again had no evidence supplied to support those assertions, but was presented in this manner in a way that demonstrated a belief that there could not be a "good" reason for the "right" to wish to take the very same action as the "left".

As you noted in your post, the cultural divide is more of a rural v. urban divide (we have similar divisions here as well), which tends to feed into people's approach to government: Rural people are genrally more self\local community reliant, given their isolated nature making it harder\more costly for government to provide services compared to those in urban areas. As a result, Urban people tend to see the government as "good" in terms of the services they receive, and the actions it takes that benefit them, whereas the rural people see it more as an impediment upon them, as they do not tend to receive the same "value" from it as urban people do, nor do politicians (in general) tend to spend as much time listening to rural people as they do to urban people - it is easier to have a single community meeting and listen to 1000 people in a city than to have to do multiple smaller meetings to hear from the same number of rural people, for example.

Taking out the "left"\"right" bigotry ingrained in the original post, the more likely reason for the 13 states to wish to secede would be that they feel they aren't being listened to in the way that other, more populated states are - either through not receiving support they feel those other states receive, or because they feel the Federal government is implementing rules\laws that are promoted by\designed for the more populated states but which are detrimental to the people in these states (restrictive gun laws - such as on long-arms, for example - may be perfectly suitable in urban areas, but fail to take into account the requirements of those in rural areas who may have a legitimate need for them, and so a unifom set of laws across the country is likely to inflame those on one side or the other).

Similarly, a desire to secede from the 48 "redneck states" (OP's description), is likely to be connected to a feeling they are providing a large amount of money to the federal government, but not receiving enough of a return - Either because they don't feel enough weight is placed on their desires at a federal level (based on the contributions they make), or because they don't see enough of a "return" in services, etc. as a result of their contributions, with large amounts destined for the less affluent states instead.

As I alluded to in my reply to your post, this topic was intentionally presented by its originator based upon a divisive insistence that "the left's motives are good", while "the right's motives must be evil", which was specifically designed to push a particular set of prejudices\biases, rather than in a neutral way that would permit discussion about potential reasons each region may have had for wishing to secede...

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2021, 3:39 am

Brictoria wrote:
Mona Pereth wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
The democrat pacific states wanting to secede is understandable in the California and Hawaii are the only culturally progressive states in the US not dominated by the white christian right. If I was Californian I'd want to have nothing to do with the redneck states.

No, there are plenty of other states (such as New York, New Jersey, and the New England states) that aren't dominated by the white Christian right.

Furthermore, the cultural divide really is, primarily, a rural vs. urban thing, rather than a regional thing. The Democratic-dominated states are, for the most part, states in which the majority of the population lives in large cities or nearby suburbs thereof. The Republican-dominated states are states in which that's not the case. But, within almost every state, there are some culturally left-wing areas and some culturally right-wing areas.

Be careful: You're poking holes in his belief that the "left" can never be wrong, and the "right" can only ever be wrong...

Don't you just luv hyperpartisanship? :mrgreen:

It is beyond me how some people can be so binary. 8O

Life is not black&white...
except for skunks. :mrgreen:

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2021, 8:14 am

cyberdad wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
They talk about it but it won’t happen.

The purpose of the post was to illustrate what is inside the heads of southern republicans and the impact of the Trump era on reinforcing existing beliefs lurking just below the surface. I agree they don't have the strength to pull of secession but the desire is clearly there and this supports/validates the media proposition that Trump caused America to fracture into seperate polar opposites.

They’ve been whining about this forever.
It’s nothing new.Basically they are just frothing at the mouth.

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2021, 11:19 am

cyberdad wrote:
Misslizard wrote:

The purpose of the post was to illustrate what is inside the heads of southern republicans

Were that to be the true purpose (rather than an opening to continue a constant attack on anything "right wing"), there would have been quotes, and explanations from actual "southern republicans" stating this...

The post comes across more as a case of a person from the left trying to cause further antagonism towards the "southern republicans" (or the "right" in general) by putting words\opinions in their mouths.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2021, 11:34 am

This truly is a frightening situation.

As mentioned there is always somebody calling for succession and sometimes trying to act on it. Here in New York we have been anything but immune from it. Succeeding from the “inferior” America west of the Hudson River has been joked about often, sometimes half seriously, sometimes more then that.

And it not likely to happen because it would be such a daunting thing to do. As mentioned it would not be regional you would have either a pockmarked countries with one town in “Progressive Diversity”, the next one in “America is Great Again”. Either that or massive dislocation and death in order to get countries with recognizable boundaries. Either way would require complete economic and functional collapse.

That it won’t happen should not make us not take this polling seriously because it is cooccurring with increasing dysfunction which is indicative this is more than the usual postering.

Optimists like to point out that America despite continuous predictions of doom always finds a way to rally together and come out stronger including actual succession. This argument rests on the false assumption that just because it always happened it will happen again. America did not rally together because of COVID or the insurrection shock to the system type events that previously did bind the countries wounds. It is becoming increasingly obvious that in the case of the civil war we did not bind the nations wounds, we papered them over. First it was the lost cause attempts to retain the lost cause confederate monuments. Now it is the progressives continuous bringing up of The Confederacy in regards to the insurrection. Both were treasonous but that was about all they had in common. The South willfully by force broke away from the Union. The insurrectionists were under the assumption they were taking America back. Despite the odd Confederate flag or two the vast majority of flags there were the stars and stripes. I think not only have we never gotten over the 1860s but also the cultural divisions of the 1960s.

Like I said all of the above does not mean breakup. Even if we again manage to find a way to rally together again getting to a point where people actually stop country destructive actions is going to be painful enough to frighten me.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2021, 12:52 pm

While not the most likely scenario, it is not inconceivable that the US will fragment into several political entities in the 21st century.

The US is a fairly young country (234 years old) spread over a very large area with a weak (and fiercely contested) national identity. There isn't a whole lot of things holding the country together, so a major political crisis could possibly act as a tipping point.

On the other hand, the current political divisions in the US are not as "geographically dangerous" as in other countries. The two largest population centres in the US - New York and Los Angeles - are located at the opposite coasts of the US, but are both solidly Democratic.

It LA and NYC had instead been politically opposed, then this could act as a catalyst for splitting up the country along more easily defined geographical lines.

Current examples of such a scenario is Spain (Madrid vs. Barcelona/Catalonia), Belgium (Flanders vs. Wallonia) and to some extent the north-south divide in Italy as well.

But I suppose Texas could re-join Mexico, then... :shrug:

roronoa79
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2021, 1:24 pm

Is this really surprising to anyone? It shouldn't be.

Aspiegaming wrote:
I say let 'em. They're beyond saving.

All I hear when I hear people say this is:
"I do not give a single s*** about anyone in the South who isnt a white, hetero, male, christian conservative."
You think Southern conservatives treat queers and non-whites bad now? How much worse do you think they'll be without liberal Northerners and the Supreme Court to keep them in check? Do you think queers could get married if the south were independent? Do you think blacks would have their right to vote protected? Do you think abortion rights would be protected? Do you think Christianity wouldn't be the de jure religion of the state? Do you think mass incarceration wouldn't be even more massive? You think millions more black americans wouldn't be enslaved in the prison system?
Southern conservatives have shown time and time again for centuries that they cannot be left to their own devices or they will strip as many rights as they can away from minorities.

Brictoria wrote:
Were that to be the true purpose (rather than an opening to continue a constant attack on anything "right wing"), there would have been quotes, and explanations from actual "southern republicans" stating this...

The post comes across more as a case of a person from the left trying to cause further antagonism towards the "southern republicans" (or the "right" in general) by putting words\opinions in their mouths.

Aussie, if you had lived here for any significant amount of time you would find this survey extremely unsurprising. Go anywhere in the south and for 160 years there has been constant bluster about "The South shall rise again!" It is ubiquitous. The resentment towards the north has never gone away. They resent the north for stopping secession, they resent the north for siding with the Civil Rights movement, they resent the north for siding with fags like me. If anything I'm surprised it wasn't as high as 66% before the Trump presidency.
You want examples of Southerners expressing these sentiments? Go to the American South. Or just look on the internet. Southerners who feel this way are extremely easy to find. This isn't demonization so much as it is pointing out that the sky is blue.

Δυνατὰ δὲ οἱ προύχοντες πράσσουσι καὶ οἱ ἀσθενεῖς ξυγχωροῦσιν.
Those with power do what their power permits, and the weak can only acquiesce.

- Thucydides

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2021, 2:34 pm

/\We’re not all like that.Sadly there are people that live here that have those attitudes and they are very vocal about them.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2021, 5:36 pm

roronoa79 wrote:
Is this really surprising to anyone? It shouldn't be.

All I hear when I hear people say this is:
"I do not give a single s*** about anyone in the South who isnt a white, hetero, male, christian conservative."
You think Southern conservatives treat queers and non-whites bad now? How much worse do you think they'll be without liberal Northerners and the Supreme Court to keep them in check? Do you think queers could get married if the south were independent? Do you think blacks would have their right to vote protected? Do you think abortion rights would be protected? Do you think Christianity wouldn't be the de jure religion of the state? Do you think mass incarceration wouldn't be even more massive? You think millions more black americans wouldn't be enslaved in the prison system?

I am not defending anyone.
Just pointing out that in some countries, you would be thrown off a cliff for just being gay. 8O

Humanity. :eew:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2021, 5:43 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
This truly is a frightening situation.

As mentioned there is always somebody calling for succession and sometimes trying to act on it. Here in New York we have been anything but immune from it. Succeeding from the “inferior” America west of the Hudson River has been joked about often, sometimes half seriously, sometimes more then that.

Western Australia has talked about succeeding pretty much since the beginning of Invasion day. <sic> 8)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2021, 5:46 pm

Brictoria wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Misslizard wrote:

The purpose of the post was to illustrate what is inside the heads of southern republicans

Unfortunately, some have a reputation of extreme bias which follows them around.
If one destroys one's credibility, one's credibility is destroyed.
Who would have thunk it?

Hyperpartisanship. :eew:

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2021, 5:52 pm

Even skunks should understand it's not all black and white. :nerdy:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2021, 5:59 pm

funeralxempire wrote:

Even skunks should understand it's not all black and white. :nerdy:

Fake news.
That brown skunk was photoshopped. 8)

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2021, 6:38 pm

Brictoria wrote:

That's your projections, feel free to critique the data....still waiting for you to come up with some credible evidence for left wokeness destroying civilisation from another thread but you responses on that thread follow the same pattern as I am observing in this current thread. Playing the man and not the ball.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2021, 6:46 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Despite the odd Confederate flag or two the vast majority of flags there were the stars and stripes. I think not only have we never gotten over the 1860s but also the cultural divisions of the 1960s. .

The writing has been on the wall (or on the beer gut) for quite some time at trump rallies. In addition to confederate flags there's plenty of placards and t-shirts calling to "secede" from the union. Infact I have been witnessing it at tea-party rallies during the Obama years.

To me this seems like unfinished business from the 1860s that hasn't been resolved. I would prefer that if the US is taking the role as a global leader it sort this internal mess.