Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Technic1
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Jul 2021, 2:42 am

What are systems?

How good are you at them?

Could you design your own world system of law and politics?

Technic1
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Jul 2021, 12:56 pm

I heard autistics are good at learning about systems?

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2021, 2:20 pm

Technic1 wrote:
What are systems?

Yes, but I can't impose it. Neither can I herd cats.

Danusaurus
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2021, 3:55 am

Technic1 wrote:
What are systems?

Systems - likely organisations.

f*****g terrible at them..

No. I don't believe so though this would be something that people as individuals have not control of.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2021, 5:11 am

Systems... Do you mean our logical ways we invent to avoid our traits from hindering us?

Example, if I am forgetful because my mind is focussed on one thing, I will need to double, triple or even qadruply check I have locked doors when leaving the house or locking the car etc.

Or how about systems we make to avoid undue stress and anxiety? Like I will wake up a couple of hours earlier and sit on the loo for an hour to relax, or wen I was working I would get to work half an hour to an hour early and just sit somewhere quietly to de-stress....

Or do you mean I will talk around the world and back to reach the point I was going to say in my own developed system which keeps changing the subject in a different tangent so I will avoid getting mindblank... And hopefully I will eventually get to what I intended to say!

Or do you mean the sort of systems I will work out in my mind to tackle jobs I need to do where I will work out what needs doing and then make a plan in my mind (Or on paper) of how to do it? Where if the plan gets interupted I can get partial or full shutdowns because I find it difficult to fit an extra plan into my current plan as I am less able to make the changes without plenty of notice...?

Or do you mean government systems? Or money systems? Or heating systems? Road systems? Railway systems?

What sort of systems do you mean?

And yes, I could design my own governing system but I would have to be given a fresh start to do this. It will only work if all existing laws, taxes and ways would be cancelled and I would be able to start afresh. If I am given a fresh start I could do this. I would need lots more information to do it so I won't leave anyone or anything out. My concepts would be simplicity and fairness.

Technic1
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Jul 2021, 5:32 am

Mountain Goat wrote:
Systems... Do you mean our logical ways we invent to avoid our traits from hindering us?

Example, if I am forgetful because my mind is focussed on one thing, I will need to double, triple or even qadruply check I have locked doors when leaving the house or locking the car etc.

Or how about systems we make to avoid undue stress and anxiety? Like I will wake up a couple of hours earlier and sit on the loo for an hour to relax, or wen I was working I would get to work half an hour to an hour early and just sit somewhere quietly to de-stress....

Or do you mean I will talk around the world and back to reach the point I was going to say in my own developed system which keeps changing the subject in a different tangent so I will avoid getting mindblank... And hopefully I will eventually get to what I intended to say!

Or do you mean the sort of systems I will work out in my mind to tackle jobs I need to do where I will work out what needs doing and then make a plan in my mind (Or on paper) of how to do it? Where if the plan gets interupted I can get partial or full shutdowns because I find it difficult to fit an extra plan into my current plan as I am less able to make the changes without plenty of notice...?

Or do you mean government systems? Or money systems? Or heating systems? Road systems? Railway systems?

What sort of systems do you mean?

And yes, I could design my own governing system but I would have to be given a fresh start to do this. It will only work if all existing laws, taxes and ways would be cancelled and I would be able to start afresh. If I am given a fresh start I could do this. I would need lots more information to do it so I won't leave anyone or anything out. My concepts would be simplicity and fairness.

We’ll kind of…I mean coming up with the legal system.

A complex set of rules to make something work.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2021, 7:10 am

Currently, a complex system of laws is not working. I'm in favour of a simple system that does.

AngelL
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Jul 2021, 10:12 am

Dear_one wrote:
Currently, a complex system of laws is not working. I'm in favour of a simple system that does.

Well said.

There is a quote that I have spent a fair amount of time searching for to no avail, but I'll paraphrase it here. It's a quote from one of the United States founders and framers of their Constitution:

'When the law becomes so complex that the common man can't determine if he is breaking the law or not, the common man with lose respect for the law.'

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2021, 10:21 am

No. :lol: I don't.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2021, 1:51 pm

AngelL wrote:
Dear_one wrote:

Well said.

There is a quote that I have spent a fair amount of time searching for to no avail, but I'll paraphrase it here. It's a quote from one of the United States founders and framers of their Constitution:

'When the law becomes so complex that the common man can't determine if he is breaking the law or not, the common man with lose respect for the law.'

Sometimes, people complain about new regulations that are a necessary response to more people sharing the same space. Some are just unfair to various groups without looking obvious about it. Sometimes a complex law is hard to read and understand. Sometimes, it is more often seen to be ignored, so it does not seem valid. Sometimes, it is only applied to harass people selectively, producing "a government of men, not laws." However, that is not my major concern.
I think that laws to fix problems usually fail because psychopaths are so nimble and unpredictable. To rein them in, we need a much bigger and better net, including a ban on private wealth. With the invention of the 'net, all of patent and copyright law became obsolete. It no longer encourages innovation; it just feeds an army of lawyers. We could let all the creative people share ideas freely to collaborate, and recognize the copied and shared innovations with small sums from the public purse. Crowd funding has replaced the only social function of millionaires.

Something Profound
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Jul 2021, 6:28 pm

Having a complex system may seem to make sense for some, but we all have to agree that complex systems make very little sense to a lot of people, and many will ignore the complexities, even the elegant ones, because it takes too much effort to do so.

As has already been said, our legal systems (I think I speak for more than just my native country here, as it is a problem many countries face) are already failing and ineffective. That doesn't mean that simple systems would work better, however. If a law is too complex, it is easy to get hung up in the convolutions to the point that it becomes ineffective in practice. If it is too simple, it will be ineffective because it doesn't address all the nuanced needs.

There has to be a balance struck between complex laws and simple laws, and there has to be people who understand both sides of this compromise in order to effectively interpret and uphold the law. *ARGUABLY* we have such systems in place, but people are imperfect, and what one person thinks is fair is very likely unjust towards somebody else.

There is no simple solution. And there are a lot of people who are not qualified to make laws who do, and a lot of people who are qualified but do not have the ability to do so easily. But if we scrapped the whole thing and started over, I doubt that a complex system of rules would suffice to address everything. Nor, for that matter, would a simple set of rules.

We are back to square one with the same problem as before, then. It is very frustrating.

timf
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2021, 7:33 am

People have designed mechanical systems and electrical systems. However, when one designs human systems (collectivism), one exposes intrinsic human flaws. These are often attempted to control with force which gives collectives such a bad reputation.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2021, 7:40 am

timf wrote:
People have designed mechanical systems and electrical systems. However, when one designs human systems (collectivism), one exposes intrinsic human flaws. These are often attempted to control with force which gives collectives such a bad reputation.

We have been discovering and working with material flaws all along. Human "flaws" are the specs we need to document to get systems to work. The big difference is that humans are prone to lying more than inert substances, so it is harder to define them.

Technic1
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Jul 2021, 7:08 am

Computer systems, organising traffic lights, solar systems.

I have read that Aspergers are good at them?

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2021, 7:18 am

Technic1 wrote:
Computer systems, organising traffic lights, solar systems.

I have read that Aspergers are good at them?

Was Mendelev an Aspie? Inventing the Periodic Table got him invited to all subsequent conventions, but he never managed a collaboration, AFAIK.