$3k worth free of coke, heroin, and meth handed out in front

Page 2 of 4 [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Jun 2012
Age: 57
Gender: Female
Posts: 15,595
Location: Aux Arcs

24 Jul 2021, 12:14 pm

Opiate users don’t usually get violent on a high.Tweakers often do.No way would I hand out meth.
I personally know people that are dead because of violent methheads.
My family member had to do a medical detox from it in the state hospital.
I hate meth with a passion.


_________________
I am the dust that dances in the light. - Rumi


goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Feb 2013
Age: 39
Gender: Male
Posts: 14,752
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada

24 Jul 2021, 5:20 pm

Misslizard wrote:
Opiate users don’t usually get violent on a high.Tweakers often do.No way would I hand out meth.
I personally know people that are dead because of violent methheads.
My family member had to do a medical detox from it in the state hospital.
I hate meth with a passion.


The docuseries "Drugs Inc." calls meth "the most dangerous drug in the world," mostly for it's affects on the human brain & body - basically, long term use burns out the mechanisms that release dopamine and eventually you can never experience the feeling of happiness again.

Meth isn't exactly a harmless drug, that's for sure.. but a dose of meth isn't typically lethal like an accidental OD of fentanyl. That's why they're giving out clean drugs of varying types - OD harm reduction. It's not to encourage more meth use, just to prevent fentanyl OD's/deaths as the street drug supply in Vancouver is basically extremely toxic.

The safe assumption is that any street dealt drugs sold in Vancouver are cross contaminated with lethal amounts of fentanyl. This is what happens when the black market controls the drug supply with zero regulation. These aren't pharmacists or chemists of any sort, just hardcore addicts dealing to make enough money to feed their own habits.

Even drugs sold above street level should be Assumed to be contaminated and at the very Least tested for the presence of fentanyl. They sell urine test strips at some dollar stores for $1.50, so for responsible partiers there's no excuse not to test your supply. More of a barrier to try to have everything run through a mass spectrometer, though.. UNLESS our government decided to stop working for organized crime & cartels and took control of recreational drug distribution - then 100% of everything could be tested and determined to be pure.


_________________
No :heart: for supporting trump. Because doing so is deplorable.


Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 19 Feb 2019
Age: 55
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,215
Location: Tulsa, OK

24 Jul 2021, 8:15 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:
This will cause the drug abuse problem to explode to far greater than it is now. When you subsidize something you get more of it.


False.

Addicts are going to do drugs, anyways, regardless of where they get them from.

More than 12,000 British Columbians have died of overdoses during the opiate crisis. This is why we need a clean supply from government regulated sources vs. the contaminated street drugs that are killing people - as well as straining first responder and medical resources unnecessarily.

I hope you never run for public office.
People can and do get off of drugs but by making it easy to obtain it is just inviting new people to get on drugs. This will spin out of control and leave many destroyed lives in it's wake.
But of course, government never has to account for it's failures.


~90 years of prohibition has created this mess. What makes you think more prohibition is the solution?

There is a huge difference between prohibition and the government being your dealer. I would have no problem with the government staying out of the the drug enforcement business if they would actually hold persons accountable for the destruction caused by doing the drugs. DUI, negligence, assaults and the like.
The government just handing out drugs is a recipe for disaster.



goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Feb 2013
Age: 39
Gender: Male
Posts: 14,752
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada

24 Jul 2021, 8:20 pm

Mr Reynholm wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:
This will cause the drug abuse problem to explode to far greater than it is now. When you subsidize something you get more of it.


False.

Addicts are going to do drugs, anyways, regardless of where they get them from.

More than 12,000 British Columbians have died of overdoses during the opiate crisis. This is why we need a clean supply from government regulated sources vs. the contaminated street drugs that are killing people - as well as straining first responder and medical resources unnecessarily.

I hope you never run for public office.
People can and do get off of drugs but by making it easy to obtain it is just inviting new people to get on drugs. This will spin out of control and leave many destroyed lives in it's wake.
But of course, government never has to account for it's failures.


~90 years of prohibition has created this mess. What makes you think more prohibition is the solution?

There is a huge difference between prohibition and the government being your dealer. I would have no problem with the government staying out of the the drug enforcement business if they would actually hold persons accountable for the destruction caused by doing the drugs. DUI, negligence, assaults and the like.
The government just handing out drugs is a recipe for disaster.


That's right, there is a huge difference. The government being a regulated dealer works way better than prohibition - as we learned with alcohol, tobacco, marijuana, and pharmaceuticals.

Police do enforce laws against DUI, negligence, assaults and the like - those are criminal code offences here and we have government employees to deal with them.

The government, or anyone else, handing out drugs is a recipe for change & improvement, for the creation of harm reduction models that result in fewer OD's and deaths, less strain on first responders, law enforcement, hospitals, doctors and nurses, the judicial & prison systems etc. It's the next step along the path towards a win-win for everyone.

Recreational drugs are said to be the 3rd largest market in the world next to only energy and food. People spend their hard earned money on drugs of all sorts. There's no sense in perpetuating a system of prohibition that benefits organized crime while killing people and stressing many public resources.


_________________
No :heart: for supporting trump. Because doing so is deplorable.


techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Feb 2005
Age: 41
Gender: Male
Posts: 22,104
Location: The 27th Path of Peh.

26 Jul 2021, 7:52 am

I genuinely wish her the best on this. My guess is that it will indeed help them lower OD's. We'll have to see if they follow up on the rest of the Portugal model as well like find out what's hurting those who are addicted and helping them find what they need in terms of employment, meaningful social ties, etc..

In the US I'm not even sure this would happen in California or Oregon unless it gets to be such a resounding success in other places that our federal government finally has to give it the nod of approval after years of being the lead drug warriors of the world twisting everyone else's arm to be so.

Clearly the most offensive thing about the drug war approach - it isn't just racist and classist by outcome, it seems to have been engineered that way from the start and it's probably one of the biggest, if not the biggest, things that the woke validly have to complain about.


_________________
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privelege of owning yourself" - Rudyard Kipling


goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Feb 2013
Age: 39
Gender: Male
Posts: 14,752
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada

26 Jul 2021, 10:22 am

This one act will hopefully ripple out and start changing minds. Ideally they do it again and again, like medical marijuana dispensaries that broke prohibition laws more than a decade ago, and the new psilocybin microdose dispensary. Otherwise $3k worth of drugs is just a tiny drop in the daily consumption bucket and won't make much impact in the grand scheme of things.

Repetition, repetition, repetition.. it's good for marketing new laws, too.


_________________
No :heart: for supporting trump. Because doing so is deplorable.


The_Znof
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 14 Sep 2011
Age: 51
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 616
Location: Vancouver Canada

26 Jul 2021, 12:31 pm

Mr Reynholm wrote:

I hope you never run for public office.
People can and do get off of drugs but by making it easy to obtain it is just inviting new people to get on drugs. This will spin out of control and leave many destroyed lives in it's wake.
But of course, government never has to account for it's failures.


your answers are particularity nonsensical in Vancouver, where hard drugs have been nearly decriminalized by the police for over a decade, and are everywhere.

everywhere, and probably full of fentanyl and benzos.



Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 19 Feb 2019
Age: 55
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,215
Location: Tulsa, OK

26 Jul 2021, 1:00 pm

The_Znof wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:

I hope you never run for public office.
People can and do get off of drugs but by making it easy to obtain it is just inviting new people to get on drugs. This will spin out of control and leave many destroyed lives in it's wake.
But of course, government never has to account for it's failures.


your answers are particularity nonsensical in Vancouver, where hard drugs have been nearly decriminalized by the police for over a decade, and are everywhere.

everywhere, and probably full of fentanyl and benzos.

If people want to do the drugs and risk addiction or death. Fine.
But, government should not be their supplier this is just encouraging drug use and all of the societal evils that go with it.



Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 19 Feb 2019
Age: 55
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,215
Location: Tulsa, OK

26 Jul 2021, 1:02 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:
This will cause the drug abuse problem to explode to far greater than it is now. When you subsidize something you get more of it.


False.

Addicts are going to do drugs, anyways, regardless of where they get them from.

More than 12,000 British Columbians have died of overdoses during the opiate crisis. This is why we need a clean supply from government regulated sources vs. the contaminated street drugs that are killing people - as well as straining first responder and medical resources unnecessarily.

I hope you never run for public office.
People can and do get off of drugs but by making it easy to obtain it is just inviting new people to get on drugs. This will spin out of control and leave many destroyed lives in it's wake.
But of course, government never has to account for it's failures.

I can't tell if you are being serious or not. This sounds like the premise for an SNL sketch.

~90 years of prohibition has created this mess. What makes you think more prohibition is the solution?

There is a huge difference between prohibition and the government being your dealer. I would have no problem with the government staying out of the the drug enforcement business if they would actually hold persons accountable for the destruction caused by doing the drugs. DUI, negligence, assaults and the like.
The government just handing out drugs is a recipe for disaster.


That's right, there is a huge difference. The government being a regulated dealer works way better than prohibition - as we learned with alcohol, tobacco, marijuana, and pharmaceuticals.

Police do enforce laws against DUI, negligence, assaults and the like - those are criminal code offences here and we have government employees to deal with them.

The government, or anyone else, handing out drugs is a recipe for change & improvement, for the creation of harm reduction models that result in fewer OD's and deaths, less strain on first responders, law enforcement, hospitals, doctors and nurses, the judicial & prison systems etc. It's the next step along the path towards a win-win for everyone.

Recreational drugs are said to be the 3rd largest market in the world next to only energy and food. People spend their hard earned money on drugs of all sorts. There's no sense in perpetuating a system of prohibition that benefits organized crime while killing people and stressing many public resources.



goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Feb 2013
Age: 39
Gender: Male
Posts: 14,752
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada

26 Jul 2021, 5:02 pm

Mr Reynholm wrote:
The_Znof wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:

I hope you never run for public office.
People can and do get off of drugs but by making it easy to obtain it is just inviting new people to get on drugs. This will spin out of control and leave many destroyed lives in it's wake.
But of course, government never has to account for it's failures.


your answers are particularity nonsensical in Vancouver, where hard drugs have been nearly decriminalized by the police for over a decade, and are everywhere.

everywhere, and probably full of fentanyl and benzos.

If people want to do the drugs and risk addiction or death. Fine.
But, government should not be their supplier this is just encouraging drug use and all of the societal evils that go with it.



Government are the people and the people fund the government via taxes and the people are sick of wasting money on constant 911 calls, police/fire/ambulance, ER visits, hospital stays, naloxone kits, social workers, cremations and body storage/disposal etc etc etc related to a tainted drug supply. It costs less money AND is more humane to simply give people access to a clean drug supply.


_________________
No :heart: for supporting trump. Because doing so is deplorable.


funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Oct 2014
Age: 36
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 13,439
Location: I'm right here

26 Jul 2021, 5:48 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
Government are the people and the people fund the government via taxes and the people are sick of wasting money on constant 911 calls, police/fire/ambulance, ER visits, hospital stays, naloxone kits, social workers, cremations and body storage/disposal etc etc etc related to a tainted drug supply. It costs less money AND is more humane to simply give people access to a clean drug supply.


Image


_________________
the problem with capitalism is that eventually you run out of other people's resources and cheap labour to exploit
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う


techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Feb 2005
Age: 41
Gender: Male
Posts: 22,104
Location: The 27th Path of Peh.

26 Jul 2021, 5:57 pm

Another reason this won't happen in the US anytime soon - Biden's too busy trying to ban menthol cigarettes and flavored cigars. Entirely the opposite 'Think of the children' drug warrior mentality.


_________________
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privelege of owning yourself" - Rudyard Kipling


Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Jun 2012
Age: 57
Gender: Female
Posts: 15,595
Location: Aux Arcs

27 Jul 2021, 11:49 am

Watched this documentary on the problem last night.
http://www.sidewaysfilm.com/ten-dollar- ... yl-crisis/
Something has to be done ,and if this is the only way to save peoples lives ,then do it.
Hopefully they only get a small dose of meth and won’t get too jeetered out.


_________________
I am the dust that dances in the light. - Rumi


The_Znof
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 14 Sep 2011
Age: 51
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 616
Location: Vancouver Canada

27 Jul 2021, 12:24 pm

goldfish21 wrote:


The safe assumption is that any street dealt drugs sold in Vancouver are cross contaminated with lethal amounts of fentanyl. This is what happens when the black market controls the drug supply with zero regulation. These aren't pharmacists or chemists of any sort, just hardcore addicts dealing to make enough money to feed their own habits.



I dont know about safe, but I think the people putting fentanyl and benzos in the heroin and meth are above the hardcore addicts dealing to make enough money to feed their own habits., and probably well, well above.

On the meth side at least, the contamination is always subtle and consistent.

I think it has more to do with CIA goofballs than junkies and tweakers.

https://www.brucekalexander.com/article ... s/rat-park



Last edited by The_Znof on 27 Jul 2021, 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Feb 2013
Age: 39
Gender: Male
Posts: 14,752
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada

27 Jul 2021, 1:21 pm

The_Znof wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:


The safe assumption is that any street dealt drugs sold in Vancouver are cross contaminated with lethal amounts of fentanyl. This is what happens when the black market controls the drug supply with zero regulation. These aren't pharmacists or chemists of any sort, just hardcore addicts dealing to make enough money to feed their own habits.



I dont know about safe, but I think the people putting fentanyl and benzos in the heroin and meth are above the hardcore addicts dealing to make enough money to feed their own habits., and probably well, well above.

On the meth side at least, the contamination is always subtle and consistent.

I think it has more to do with CIA goofballs than junkies and tweakers.


Mmhmm; if you mean the Chinese Infiltration Agency, then yes.

Much of the fentanyl or precursor chemicals are coming from mainland China.

According to people that work at Insite, other drugs aren’t being cut with fent to create fent addicts out of coke heads or tweezers, they’re accidentally being cross contaminated by morons who are using the same bowls and spoons and scales to divvy out all their drugs, or accidentally mistaking a bag of fent for something else because they’re stupid/high/drunk etc. These are street level dealers slanging crack in the ghetto, not university educated pharmacists carefully portioning medications.


_________________
No :heart: for supporting trump. Because doing so is deplorable.


slam_thunderhide
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

User avatar

Joined: 5 Dec 2014
Age: 35
Gender: Male
Posts: 176

29 Jul 2021, 12:23 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
of the Vancouver Police Department:

https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/vanc ... F0iQbAHn6w

Among those helping distribute clean drugs was a Vancouver city councillor. Good for her! ~6 people die from overdoses in BC every single day -> more than 12,000 people have died from OD's in BC since the opiate crisis began. The need for harm reduction via a clean safe drug supply is extreme and I'm glad that this organization is taking action.


That's all fine as a short-term solution.

goldfish21 wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:
This will cause the drug abuse problem to explode to far greater than it is now. When you subsidize something you get more of it.


False.

Addicts are going to do drugs, anyways, regardless of where they get them from.

More than 12,000 British Columbians have died of overdoses during the opiate crisis. This is why we need a clean supply from government regulated sources vs. the contaminated street drugs that are killing people - as well as straining first responder and medical resources unnecessarily.


This is typical liberal defeatism. Most liberals can't even conceive of a society where most people have enough to live for that they don't need to indulge in self-destructive behaviours. Or they don't want to conceive of such a society because they (liberals) want to feel useful by handing out sticking plasters.