Page 3 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Technic1
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Jul 2021, 5:37 am

The_Znof wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Especially when I consider most people who struggle with outbursts of rage tend to understand the need to control them and not post them on forums like this.

autistics understand dont post autistic rage on an autistic forum?

count me out of that one!

ps - are you autistic?

Diagnosed Aspergers.

The_Znof
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2021, 12:19 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
But, would you agree that most meltdowns make autistic people want to retreat from society and go into a shutdown mode afterward, rather than lashing out at other people or plotting a crime?

Ive had 2 meltdowns post covid, one was after checking myself into a psych ward - there were about half a dozen staff people in the watchbooth-office thingee doing a shift change.

I wanted a pen to write down some things I wanted to tell a shrink that I was afraid I would forget when I got to see one.

after a few minuites nobody came out of the office thingee, so I started jesturing in front of a window, as a knock seemed more interuptive.

they did not respond so I started jesturing more enthusiastically, and at this point I felt ignored when they did not respond, so I had a meldown, a psuedosiezure on the ground.

even though nobody was close to me, now they feel it is time to get back to work, and drag me into a padded room, and lock the door.

after they were done I said "I just wanted a pen"

one guy said "dont be a baby, just ask"

the same guy who said this came back and apologised about 5 mins later, and I apologized to him.

which brings up the question, if that is how a decent man responds, what could I have expected from a mean man?

the next one was in public, and I attracted hecklers.

ps - these meldowns that go full psuedoseisure started when I was 48 years old, and often happen when Im in shock at the coldness of staff for services of homeless and mentally so called ill.

They seem to me clearly PTSD, but my PTSD is clearly a result of my autism/add.

oh, the one in the psych ward may have been started with autism, I cant understand why they couldn't figure out I wanted to ask them something.

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2022, 3:31 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
I dont know IF people in general "think ASD equals criminal".

But in the US SOME spree killers were said to be autistic (like the Sandy Hook guy).

So folks (in the United States) MAY think that autistics are more prone to that one crime ...spree killing and mass murder.

And (hate to say it) its not impossible that there maybe some truth to that about that particular crime ( maybe spree killers are more likely to be autistic then percentage of autistics in the general population). But thats probably the opposite of the truth about crime in general. Aspies/auties are more likely to be victims of crime, than perps. Were trusting, and like that.

ADHD people are the thrill seekers, who tend to get rap sheets in juvenile court. Not aspies.

Had a friend who I thought at the time must be ADHD. Havent seen him in ages, but I now also think that he may have been a sociopath too. But I digress.

The problem is that there are people with ASD that have ADHD, Distributive, Impulse Control and Conduct Disorders as well, clear communication is needed.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2022, 4:43 pm

Technic1 wrote:
Why do people think ASD = criminal Or that we are more likely to commit crimes?

According to an August 2021 book by a Washington DC political correspondent who is autistic the news media bears a substantial portion of the responsibility for leading the public to have that attitude.

Book is:
We're Not Broken: Changing the Autism Conversation
Hardcover – August 3, 2021
by Eric Garcia

:arrow: I just finished reading it. I'm going to call it information packed and quite good overall.

From Amazon:
Quote:
With a reporter’s eye and an insider’s perspective, Eric Garcia shows what it’s like to be autistic across America.

Garcia began writing about autism because he was frustrated by the media’s coverage of it; the myths that the disorder is caused by vaccines, the narrow portrayals of autistic people as white men working in Silicon Valley. His own life as an autistic person didn’t look anything like that. He is Latino, a graduate of the University of North Carolina, and works as a journalist covering politics in Washington D.C. Garcia realized he needed to put into writing what so many autistic people have been saying for years; autism is a part of their identity, they don’t need to be fixed.

In We’re Not Broken, Garcia uses his own life as a springboard to discuss the social and policy gaps that exist in supporting those on the spectrum. From education to healthcare, he explores how autistic people wrestle with systems that were not built with them in mind. At the same time, he shares the experiences of all types of autistic people, from those with higher support needs, to autistic people of color, to those in the LGBTQ community. In doing so, Garcia gives his community a platform to articulate their own needs, rather than having others speak for them, which has been the standard for far too long.

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2022, 6:31 am

What if the general public is saying that there has to be a link between some kind of rare Pervasive Developmental Disorder and criminal behavior?

I am sure that people with high intelligence, from the general public, about this topic will understand that numerous studies point out that most people with ASD are more likely to be victims than being perpetrators.

Even some scientists argue that since diagnostic criteria for Pervasive Developmental Disorders became more broad, there has to be some kind of rare neurodevelopental disorder that causes autistic traits and psychopathic traits, and that is exactly what the general public is trying to talk about, and it's informally known as Criminal Autistic Psychopathy.

We should at least try to understand both sides of the story ten times more without getting our emotions the best of us, and try to understand that there are people from general public that understands that generalizing people with ASD as being all the same is insanely overgeneralizing.

Last edited by FranzOren on 13 May 2022, 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2022, 6:59 am

Statistics on crime and autism are misleading because autism is a massive spectrum so when they say autistic people are more likely to be victims of crime, what part of the spectrum are they talking about?

I think we can agree the only autistic people who commit crime will be aspies & ASD level 1.

So that leaves out the massive ASD 2 &3.

The question then remains what proportion of ASD 1 or aspies commit crime and what type of crimes are they

- George Bernie Shaw

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2022, 7:13 am

That is what I am trying to say, if we get more technical. But yes, it is true that most people with ASD are more likely to be victims than being perpetrators, and it is also just in order to remove stigma about ASD, but we have to see the harsh reality of the broadness of the diagnostic criteria for Autism Spectrum Disorder, it is broad to the point were even some people with Antisocial Personality Disorder also meet diagnostic criteria for Autism Spectrum Disorder as well, and statistics gets messed up in those situations.