Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2021, 7:36 am

Recruiting for talent on the autism spectrum

Quote:
Autism is a developmental disorder that can affect how the brain processes information. People with autism have a spectrum of abilities and disabilities. Some are unable to speak, or care for themselves, while others can live on their own and have unique skills like excellent memory or attention to detail. No matter where they are on the spectrum, many adults with autism have a difficult time finding a job. Even making it past a first interview can be challenging. But that may be starting to change. As we first reported last October, more companies are discovering the potential of people with autism, and some are now actively recruiting for talent on the spectrum.

Doing a television interview can be nerve-wracking for anyone, but for people with autism, it's potentially overwhelming. The cameras, lights, microphones, not to mention having to shake hands with a stranger.

But last year, before the pandemic, five adults on the autism spectrum agreed to talk with us about their struggles finding work.

Typical of this type of report about autistics getting employment in that it concentrates on the STEM type work and accommodations and alterations companies are making to recruit autistic prospects.

The bulk of the interviews are with the autistics, always a good thing.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman