Male rideshare driver said he wanted to be "Friends"

Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2021, 1:35 pm

I would have said no to him right off the bat.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2021, 2:01 pm

Cockney,

No, I regret even telling him that I live alone too. What I should have done was tell him "Well it was good talking to you but I would like to look at my phone." Honestly, that was one of the most uncomfortable conversations I had while riding in the car with him. I could not wait to get out his vehicle and go on about my business. Because I felt like he was being too pushy with me next to making me feel bad because he was lonely.

As I said, I gave him a bad rating and reported him.

That said, I had another Lyft driver do all kinds of inappropriate things.
1. He asked me if I had a boyfriend
2. He smoked while driving
3. He was speeding to get home

I reported this guy as well

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2021, 4:11 am

I went through a phase where i was using Uber but realised you can't control the quality of the drivers you get. A lot of them smoked, but mostly they were unfriendly, coughed a lot like they were sick and sped like they were stunt-drivers.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2021, 12:15 pm

Cyberdad, for me, most of the ride share drivers have been fairly pleasant. I have only had a few of them actually flirt with me.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2021, 3:22 am

Summer_Twilight wrote:
Cyberdad, for me, most of the ride share drivers have been fairly pleasant. I have only had a few of them actually flirt with me.

Generally the younger drivers are very good, nice clean vehicles, pleasant and accommodating. I guess they want to maintain a good driver rating.

Older uber drivers seem to be like a little more in a hurry, speed, smoke a lot, lots of facial hair, even if they are clean the cars seem to smell of tobacco or alcohol. I think they care more squeezing as many customers in a day than worrying about a 5 star rating.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2021, 12:42 pm

I have had some older drivers who were really nice. That said, I had a younger driver pick me up on Friday who was very unfriendly and had an attitude indicating he didn't care. In so many words he told me "Yeah whatever." He didn't greet me more anything. He did a good job driving but that was it. When I left the vehicle, I told him he needed to work on learning to be more professional and I didn't like his attitude before shutting the door. However, I was in a bad mood myself as I had just lost a loved one on Thursday. I also didn't know what he was going through.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2021, 6:37 am

Summer_Twilight wrote:
I had a younger driver pick me up on Friday who was very unfriendly and had an attitude indicating he didn't care. In so many words he told me "Yeah whatever." He didn't greet me more anything. He did a good job driving but that was it. .

In my view I respect the driver's right to privacy/quiet so long as the vehicle is clean, he/she drives normally and doesn't overcharge. Does that and he/she will get 4 stars from me.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2021, 1:21 pm

I had an issue with a driver who was different than in the person in the profile. Rather, he explained that he was the lady's son who was driving. Though he seemed nice enough he was nosy. He kept trying to talk to me but I told him to drive carefully and that I was texting a friend. I also told him "That's personal information." I was able to get my money back.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2021, 7:24 pm

I appreciate the dynamics are different for younger female lyft users when you have a male driver. There has been lingering concerns over female safety and the lack of regulation over screening lyft driver backgrounds.

TBH Lyft or Uber can't logistically check for creeps, its up to female users like yourself to be vigilant and report such drivers but you also need to be mindful (this is the tricky part) of knowing when a male driver is just being friendly to create a comfortable ambience while driving. In my experience I think male drivers from non-English speaking backgrounds (who are the majority of drivers) do have difficulty with small talk and might come across as a bit weird/awkward to a female client.
But the drivers themselves need to learn not to freak out females, if they don't know what to say then just smile courteously and drive carefully.