Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-Ga) Banned From Twitter.

Page 1 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2021, 8:42 am

Marjorie Taylor Greene was banned from Twitter for spreading misleading COVID-19 data.

The Republican Rep. was taken off her most-used platform over claims the virus only affects people under 65. Adding to a series of controversial comments about the pandemic, she tweeted Monday that vaccines should not be mandated and that COVID-19 "is not dangerous" for people aged under 65 who are not obese.

Source:
 This Newsweek Article 

:D Freedom of Speech does not grant freedom from the consequences of what is said, nor does it grant freedom from oversight in the venues used to say it.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2021, 9:09 am

Sadly, all the misinformation that meets the approval of government and the oligarchs will remain, and anyone who dare debunk it will be circled by the establishment sharks. And before anyone misinterprets my words, I don't agree with the statements by Greene.

The only way to counter misinformation is ripping it apart with factual data. It's a troubling trend that so many people today are cheering on this type of censorship.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2021, 9:15 am

VegetableMan wrote:
[...] The only way to counter misinformation is ripping it apart with factual data.  It's a troubling trend that so many people today are cheering on this type of censorship.
The difficulties with this are: (1) "everyone" thinks he or she is an expert on everything, and (2) giving any two opposing people the exact same data set will result in two opposing conclusions.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Last edited by Fnord on 20 Jul 2021, 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2021, 9:19 am

Fnord wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:
[...] The only way to counter misinformation is ripping it apart with factual data.  It's a troubling trend that so many people today are cheering on this type of censorship.
The difficulties with this are: (1) "everyone" thinks he or she is an expert on everything, and (2) giving any two people the exact same data set will result in two opposing conclusions.

I don't see that as a problem. That's an atmosphere for further discussion and debate.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2021, 9:22 am

VegetableMan wrote:
Fnord wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:
The difficulties with this are: (1) "everyone" thinks he or she is an expert on everything, and (2) giving any two opposing people the exact same data set will result in two opposing conclusions.
I don't see that as a problem. That's an atmosphere for further discussion and debate.
If all people want is debate, then let them waste their own time, not mine.  I look for solutions and results, not conflict.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2021, 9:27 am

Fnord wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:
Fnord wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:
If all people want is debate, then let them waste their own time, not mine.  I look for solutions and results, not conflict.

People can debate on social media. If you don't like it, you are not being forced to read it.

If Joe Biden reiterates his lie that Medicare for all will cost more that the ACA, on Twitter, I'm fairly certain that won't be removed.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2021, 9:43 am

VegetableMan wrote:
Fnord wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:
Fnord wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:
People can debate on social media.  If you don't like it, you are not being forced to read it [...]
People wanting a debate with me usually try to "bait" what they say with trigger words and phrases.

It is difficult to have a reasonable conversation with the goal of finding workable solutions when others involved in the conversation seem hell-bent on provoking a debate just to delay the process and draw attention to themselves.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2021, 9:47 am

Fnord wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:
Fnord wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:
Fnord wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:
People can debate on social media.  If you don't like it, you are not being forced to read it [...]
People wanting a debate with me usually try to "bait" what they say with trigger words and phrases.

It is difficult to have a reasonable conversation with the goal of finding workable solutions when others involved in the conversation seem hell-bent on provoking a debate just to delay the process and draw attention to themselves.

That still doesn't address the issue of what misinformation is allowed and what isn't.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2021, 9:54 am

VegetableMan wrote:
Fnord wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:
Fnord wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:
Fnord wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:
People wanting a debate with me usually try to "bait" what they say with trigger words and phrases.  It is difficult to have a reasonable conversation with the goal of finding workable solutions when others involved in the conversation seem hell-bent on provoking a debate just to delay the process and draw attention to themselves.
That still doesn't address the issue of what misinformation is allowed and what isn't.
Obviously, misinformation (not expressly stated as fiction) that runs contrary to scientific fact is (and should be) disallowed.  Of course, this would inhibit the spreading of religion, superstition, and conspiracy theories, but it is a sacrifice I am willing to make.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2021, 10:10 am

Fauci lied about masks being effective when the pandemic began. I'm sure you would agree that he should have censored, then.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2021, 4:29 am

VegetableMan wrote:
If Joe Biden reiterates his lie that Medicare for all will cost more that the ACA, on Twitter, I'm fairly certain that won't be removed.

There should be a form of "Godwins" law to cover people who bring in Biden when the thread is about republicans.

Biden is being blamed by even moderate GOP idiots for things he could not possibly have done

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2021, 8:31 am

VegetableMan wrote:
Fauci lied about masks being effective when the pandemic began. I'm sure you would agree that he should have censored, then.
Dr. Fauci was misinformed at first, and then changed his mind when more accurate data was presented.  That is how science works.

Rep. Greene was misinformed about covid19 and has not changed her mind, even when presented with accurate data.  That is how Republican stupidity works.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2021, 8:47 am

Fnord wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:
Dr. Fauci was misinformed at first, and then changed his mind when more accurate data was presented.  That is how science works.

Rep. Greene was misinformed about covid19 and has not changed her mind, even when presented with accurate data.  That is how Republican stupidity works.

The reason Fauci told people that masks weren't effective is because there was a shortage, and the supply needed to be reserved for medical personnel. He should have told us the truth, and warned people to isolate themselves as much as possible until the supply increased.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2021, 8:52 am

VegetableMan wrote:
Fnord wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:
Dr. Fauci was misinformed at first, and then changed his mind when more accurate data was presented.  That is how science works.  Rep. Greene was misinformed about covid19 and has not changed her mind, even when presented with accurate data.  That is how Republican stupidity works.
The reason Fauci told people that masks weren't effective is because there was a shortage, and the supply needed to be reserved for medical personnel. He should have told us the truth, and warned people to isolate themselves as much as possible until the supply increased.
He did that, as soon as he was fully informed ... by someone other than Donald J. Trump.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2021, 8:54 am

Biden is certainly better than Trump but he’s not perfect.

These people, mostly older, and of color should not be sent back to prison.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatod ... 7980882002

Time to end the useless war on drugs.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.politi ... ion-499642

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2021, 8:55 am

Fnord wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:
Fnord wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:
Dr. Fauci was misinformed at first, and then changed his mind when more accurate data was presented.  That is how science works.  Rep. Greene was misinformed about covid19 and has not changed her mind, even when presented with accurate data.  That is how Republican stupidity works.
He did that, as soon as he was fully informed ... by someone other than Donald J. Trump.

So, a doctor takes the advice of someone without a medical degree. That's rather odd, wouldn't you say?

Oscar Meyer Lansky