Luke Prokop Comes Out As Gay And Makes NHL History

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2021, 10:14 am

NPR

Quote:
Nashville Predators prospect Luke Prokop has come out as gay, becoming the first active player under contract to an NHL team to do so.

"It has been quite the journey to get to this point in my life, but I could not be happier with my decision to come out," Prokop, 19, said in an Instagram post.

"From a young age I have dreamed of being an NHL player, and I believe that living my authentic life will allow me to bring my whole self to the rink and improve my chances of fulfilling my dreams," he added.

High-level female hockey players, such as Olympic gold medalist Meghan Duggan, have previously come out as gay, according to the league. But until Prokop's announcement Monday, no other player signed to an NHL team — active or retired — had come out in the history of the professional league.

Prokop's team and league officials congratulated him on social media, saying the defenseman was setting an example for others.

NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman thanked Prokop for coming out and said he hoped more professional hockey players and staff members would feel comfortable enough to do the same in the future.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman