Page 6 of 10 [ 148 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

The_Znof
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2021, 3:11 pm

ToughDiamond wrote:
The_Znof wrote:
I was diagnosed with adhd in 2011, but my psychologist said I didnt have autism because I did not lack theory of mind enough.

I'm sure you're correct that he was wrong. How can it be valid to withhold a diagnosis for a spectrum disorder on the basis of one parameter not being very strong? Especially when it was declared so subjectively. Others on WP have said they were similarly refused a DX or a referral. One of them was rejected for seeming too good at eye contact I think.

I am sure [she] is incorrect now too, after reading Uta Frith and Baron-Cohen.

Also I have always felt part sure she was incorrect, as I had full blown regressive autism as a child.

So by default I cant be aspie, but occasionally do refer to myself using that term.

ThisTimelessMoment
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Jul 2021, 5:58 am

I thought better late than never:

Are you diagnosed / self-diagnosed, and at what age?

Self diagnosed last year at age 47

- Did you have difficulty finding a diagnostician as an adult?
Haven't tried to get diagnosed yet.
- Were you taken seriously by your GP, your family and friends, etc?
I've had several people tell me "you can't be autistic, you look people in the eyes." and things like that. I've realized I need to be careful who I mention it to. The autism thing is still quite new to me so I tend to want to talk about it though.

- If you weren't diagnosed in school, what challenges did you face trying to fit in?

I never fit in. I even felt out of place in the group of wierdos I would inevitably end up in. I learnt how to act from observing others and copying. I didn't consciously think about learning how to behave or bridge the gap between my weirdness and everyone else, I just subconsciously "absorbed" what I needed to survive.

- If you were diagnosed in school, or you went to special ed., how did that affect your social confidence?
N/A.
- How did your autistic traits affect your relationships or your self-concept?
I associated with others who were outsiders. Even with them I felt alone. At home Mum and dad (I now understand) were both autistic and in their own worlds. I felt quite detached from them. My self-concept never really developed. Copying people all the time made it feel as if I didn't exist. I had huge trouble making choices because I didn't know who was making the choice, and couldn't decide what my priorities were. Still an enormous issue.
- Did you feel pressure to hide your autistic traits? (sensory issues, special interests, etc)?
I didn't realize I had sensory issues. Have only realized this in recent years. I just tried to hide everything. There became a distinct difference between alone me and public me. This also relates to trauma though. Being traumatized caused me to hide myself. I think it also forced me to pretend not to have sensory issues. I wasn't allowed to have such issues.

- Did you feel pressure to hide your emotions or fake them?

Hiding was just second nature. It wasn't conscious.

- Did you play sports or get ridiculed if you didn't play sports? (male stereotyes?)

Didn't play sports and was ridiculed for it.

- Do you feel that society judged / will judge you for not conforming with NT boys / men?

Some of society will, yes.

- Do you feel like you wore a "mask" socially, or tried to fake it?

I masked without knowing it my entire life. Within certain groups of people I managed to develop some kind of social functioning. Mostly by copying.

- How does it feel knowing other autistic men are often branded as serial killers or psychos?

Sad. Add trauma to any human and you can make a monster. Autistic people are prone to be deeply effected by trauma. I can see though, how a loose connection to rules of all sorts (like I have) could easily land one in trouble.

- Did you ever feel like you'd be called an INCEL if you wanted to date or have sex?

Yes, though there was no name for it back then.

- Were you ever worried to tell a partner that you were autistic, or thought you were autistic?

No. Was never an issue as I didn't know. Even in recent years when I "thought I might be a little autistic" I really had no concept of what that means. I've always been very open with partners about stuff like that.

- Do you feel society / women have unfair expectations about your career or your income / skills?

My problem has always been that I appear very bright and manage to cope socially well enough that there are high expectations of me. As I now realize, I actually have some learning disabilities that have always hampered me. I have been totally unable to function in the world of money. I've changed jobs often due to the autism making working impossible from intense anxiety. I've never really owned anything. This has had an extremely negative effect on my self worth.

In relationships this has caused a fair bit of trouble. At the moment I am fortunate to be with a very supportive partner, so things are a bit better. But the tension this causes never goes away. I am going to look at getting a disability grant, but the red tape is daunting and I'm not sure I'll even get diagnosed with ASD.

- Is your mental health taken seriously, overall?

Yes
- Do you feel like autistic men's voices are heard in the media?

Not much.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2021, 12:22 pm

I haven't forgotten about this thread. I was away for the weekend but I'll catch up and respond when I can.

Thanks for all the new posts.

AngelL
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Dec 2021, 1:37 pm

- Are you diagnosed / self-diagnosed, and at what age?

Self-diagnosed at 12 years old; officially diagnosed at 56 years old (53 days ago).

Yes and no. I found many diagnosticians. My requests for diagnostic testing for autism were regularly and routinely ridiculed prior to being refused.

When I told my mother I was on the spectrum at 12 years old I was struck with sufficient force to lose consciousness. I'm not certain if that's taking it serious or not, actually. I never considered mentioning it to family again until after I was diagnosed. I began to tell my father and once he saw where the conversation was heading he became so angry that I abandoned the idea. I was molested for years by my pediatrician which kept me from getting a GP as an adult until my late 40's; and I shared only what was vital - which did not include anything related to autism. I've never had a friend.

- If you weren't diagnosed in school, what challenges did you face trying to fit in?

Fitting in was not a challenge; it was an impossibility. I was bullied incessantly, both emotionally and physically, by both students and teachers. From first grade till high school, there was never a school day in which I was not physically hurt.

- If you were diagnosed in school, or you went to special ed., how did that affect your social confidence?

N/A

I really have no way of knowing. In the same way that we wouldn't know light if there was no dark to contrast it with, this is the only self-concept I've ever had; I have no idea what it would have looked like if I hadn't been autistic. Likewise with relationships. I could speculate I suppose, but it would be a pure guess.

- Did you feel pressure to hide your autistic traits? (sensory issues, special interests, etc)?

Absolutely.

Again, absolutely.

- Did you play sports or get ridiculed if you didn't play sports? (male stereotyes?)

Yes, I played sports; I was required to.

- Do you feel that society judged / will judge you for not conforming with NT boys / men?

No & yes. Society has not judged me for not conforming because I always have. But they certainly shall as I continue to commit to not conforming for the sake of conforming.

Yes, absolutely.

- How does it feel knowing other autistic men are often branded as serial killers or psychos?

Well, frankly, men in general are branded poorly. We're all misogynistic, violent, potential rapists don't you know? People are afraid of what they don't understand, neurodiversity is just another thing for people to fear.

- Did you ever feel like you'd be called an INCEL if you wanted to date or have sex?

Actually, I have never given this any thought but think that I'm inviting more derogatory judgment since I've concluded that I have no interest in either of those pursuits.

- Were you ever worried to tell a partner that you were autistic, or thought you were autistic?

No. I could say anything because really, since I mask so darn well and never took it down around my partner either, it didn't affect them.

- Do you feel society / women have unfair expectations about your career or your income / skills?

Sure. According to my grades and IQ, I could have been anything...then why haven't I? The expectation that I could have spent twenty, thirty, forty or more years in a work environment interacting with others is so incredibly impossible for me, yet it is expected. My life trajectory has been a disappointment to many people.

It is by my therapist; that's all that matters to me.

I don't know; I don't watch the media.

rowan_nichol
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2021, 3:03 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I've noticed there's a lot of talk and research lately about autistic women masking. The research makes it seem like masking and social pressure for conformity only apply to women. In my opinion, the onslaught of "women's autism" information suggests that autistic girls and women are capable of creating such strong facades they are afraid to come out, or that no one will believe they are autistic. I know this is true for some women, but certainly not all women. I can't mask and never really could. I was always perceived as different or weird whether people had a label for it or not.

I believe autism is just as challenging for men as it is for women, especially when compounded by toxic masculinity and societal expectations of how a man should act. When boys aren't diagnosed in childhood, for whatever reason, or even when they are, what is the male experience? Most research talks about little boys, or now girls and women. Men's voices seem to be ignored when it comes to questions about masking and social pressure.

Men / Trans Men - I'd love your feedback on these questions if you're willing.

Suspicion started age 51, assessed against criteria cage 54
No, found a private service doing non clinical assessment.
GP does not know assessment stopped short of being clinical. Neice knows,and we both suspect the traits run in our families.
Not a sports person, fitted in well with other science nerds and also the small number of musicians. Managed to be popular by being slightly larger than life, which kept me mostly out of trouble. Small circle including pupils a year or two older
- If you were diagnosed in school, or you went to special ed., how did that affect your social confidence? Not Applicable
- How did your autistic traits affect your relationships or your self-concept? Got good at fitting in with shared concepts, humour, etc, in adult life resulting in two three-year terms in the role of elder at place of worship.
Occasional request to change subject
- Did you feel pressure to hide your emotions or fake them?Not sure
- Did you play sports or get ridiculed if you didn't play sports? (male stereotyes?) Did getsome teasing. Was elected captain of athletics as a joke, but did the job diligently and looked after those who weren't athletic.
- Do you feel that society judged / will judge you for not conforming with NT boys / men? No, sufficiently private most don't know meor know me in a professional setting where knowledge, skill and experience is recognised
- Do you feel like you wore a "mask" socially, or tried to fake it? I always felt it important to watch myself unless absolutely sure of the situation. Found unstructured social activities stressful, unsatisfying, hard work and avoided them wherever possible.
I have only recently been aware and don't know what I think. I read accounts of how some people on the spectrum were bullied without mercy, and could understand someone getting so focused on such past hurts that something snapped. Likewise, a lawyer may find it appropriate to explore such a possibility when looking for any mitigation.
- Did you ever feel like you'd be called an INCEL if you wanted to date or have sex? No, more worried about being called a creep if attempting initiation of social contact with words which proved I'll chosen, or becoming unable to process gress past approaching someone.
- Were you ever worried to tell a partner that you were autistic, or thought you were autistic? Have told two people close to me, and they submitted information for my assessment to help me and the assessor.
- Do you feel society / women have unfair expectations about your career or your income / skills? I don't know. I feel cautious in case the situation of my having always been employed, and retired early with pension and second career made me a target for manipulation.
It was when I had breakdowns 25 and 20 years ago.
- Do you feel like autistic men's voices are heard in the media? I really don't want the media anywhere near me.

Thanks.

Any input you can give to these types of questions would be greatly appreciated.

mohsart
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2021, 2:09 am

Diagnosed at age 52

Yes and no, it was complicated and time consuming to do it via the ordinary health care system, so I gave up.
Then I was recommended a private practitioner and paid up, and that was straight forward and easy.

I feel that my GP really doesn't know much about autism.
My family either don't really believe in autism or regards it akin to eg being left handed.

I was and wasn't trying to fit in. I've always been stubborn and try to not give in for preassure, sometimes even over doing it.
But I faked interests my peers had, which got me in trouble since I didn't know enough and was caught as a fake.

I had some special ed classes at age 8-9, for reading/writing. It didn't affect me.

Always had low self esteem, struggled to keep a relationship going for longer than a year. But hard to tell if it's because of autism.

Well, I felt pressure to "be normal".

I felt pressure to show (more) emotions.

I was strong and fast, but terrible at team sports. A bit of riducule/bullying for sure, but nothing major.

Maybe, but there is also a bit of respect that comes from standing up for yourself and going against the stream.

For sure.

I didn't know that, but that's terrifying.

No.

I haven't had any relationships since I started suspecting autism, but I doubt I'd worry about telling.

I don't really know, but I don't think so.

I don't think so.

Not more or less than autistic women.

/Mats

Rexi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: "I know there's nothing we can do. But my heart can't accept it." "If this is real, then I want to change the future."

08 Dec 2021, 9:20 am

funeralxempire wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
I was pretty oblivious to how people viewed me when I was younger. And I really didn't care all that much.

Nowadays, I care a bit more, and I'm more aware--in general.

I don't believe there are separate "autisms" for males and females.

Females are underdiagnosed, though. Because there is the tendency for them to be shy, rather than demonstrative like males. Although, it must be said, I've met plenty of females with autism who exhibit their autism just like males do.

I think the issue between 'male' and 'female' presentations largely comes down to social awareness and social conditioning, with the choice of labels basically being sexist stereotyping.

Because I can mask (even if I describe it as compartmentalization) and have some degree of social awareness compared to a lot of men with ASD I'm sure my experience with ASD could be described some closer to what's sometimes labelled as female presentation, it wouldn't even make me butthurt because it wasn't until reading resources about autism in women that I was convinced because some sources at the time describing autism in men made me assume I might not count.

I don't believe I mask effectively because I slip too much but I believe I try to subconsciously most of the time, even after pro-actively disclosing.

Omg, you used to have a child picture, right? Last night I was like, I miss that person, what was "his" name. Where did "he" disappear anyway and why? Then today I remembered your name when I saw it. xD

Any topic, PM me; mind my profile.

Last edited by Rexi on 08 Dec 2021, 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2021, 9:22 am

I wish I could miss "being a child"----but I just don't. My childhood wasn't all that happy, though it wasn't all that sad, either.

Rexi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: "I know there's nothing we can do. But my heart can't accept it." "If this is real, then I want to change the future."

08 Dec 2021, 9:53 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I've noticed there's a lot of talk and research lately about autistic women masking. The research makes it seem like masking and social pressure for conformity only apply to women. In my opinion, the onslaught of "women's autism" information suggests that autistic girls and women are capable of creating such strong facades they are afraid to come out, or that no one will believe they are autistic. I know this is true for some women, but certainly not all women. I can't mask and never really could. I was always perceived as different or weird whether people had a label for it or not.

I believe autism is just as challenging for men as it is for women, especially when compounded by toxic masculinity and societal expectations of how a man should act. When boys aren't diagnosed in childhood, for whatever reason, or even when they are, what is the male experience? Most research talks about little boys, or now girls and women. Men's voices seem to be ignored when it comes to questions about masking and social pressure.

Men / Trans Men - I'd love your feedback on these questions if you're willing.

Thanks.

Any input you can give to these types of questions would be greatly appreciated.

I'm glad that someone's in the holiday spiiirriit and gives guys the gift of being heard.

Any topic, PM me; mind my profile.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2021, 10:22 am

Rexi wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
I was pretty oblivious to how people viewed me when I was younger. And I really didn't care all that much.

Nowadays, I care a bit more, and I'm more aware--in general.

I don't believe there are separate "autisms" for males and females.

Females are underdiagnosed, though. Because there is the tendency for them to be shy, rather than demonstrative like males. Although, it must be said, I've met plenty of females with autism who exhibit their autism just like males do.

I think the issue between 'male' and 'female' presentations largely comes down to social awareness and social conditioning, with the choice of labels basically being sexist stereotyping.

Because I can mask (even if I describe it as compartmentalization) and have some degree of social awareness compared to a lot of men with ASD I'm sure my experience with ASD could be described some closer to what's sometimes labelled as female presentation, it wouldn't even make me butthurt because it wasn't until reading resources about autism in women that I was convinced because some sources at the time describing autism in men made me assume I might not count.

I don't believe I mask effectively because I slip too much but I believe I try to subconsciously most of the time, even after pro-actively disclosing.

Omg, you used to have a child picture, right? Last night I was like, I miss that person, what was "his" name. Where did "he" disappear anyway and why? Then today I remembered your name when I saw it. xD

Yeah, that was my baby picture. 8)

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2021, 6:55 pm

A lot of questions.

But they dont quite fit my life experiences. But they dont quite not fit either.

My parents sent me to shrinks since I was in early grade school when JFK was POTUS, but I wasnt officially diagnosed with aspergers until around 2015, when I was around 60.

But even around ten I remember hearing a radio show about the then newly discovered thing called "autism". A panel of doctors and parents talking about autistic kids. And I remember thinking that "I am not as severe as these kids labeled autistic but I have things in common with them, and that maybe there is a mild version of autism, and that maybe I have it". But then I dismissed the idea. But decades later both of those things were proven right. Science caught up with my ten year old self.

That takes care of the first four questions.

you're interesting in "masking". Masking that I had autism. For most of my life I didnt know that I had autism, nor even suspect it until a few years ago. So I would mask having numerous seemingly unrelated "things that are odd about me" without knowing that those desperate things were all under the same rubrick. Being diagnosed showed how all of those things were really one thing.

"Hiding emotions" wasnt really an issue. If anything I was always accused of lacking emotion.

I always sucked at sports.

Actually "serial killers" are NOT associated with autism. Its mass murderers who are associated with autism. Not the same thing. If you kill 20 people one at a time over a period of five years (and you take pleasure in slowly torturing each one) you are a serial killer. If you mow down 20 people all at once with a car, or with a gun, you are a "spree killer", or "mass murderer". The motivations for the two crimes are usually quite different.

The Ted Bundies, and Jack the Rippers of the world do not generally have autistic traits. Its the guys who whip out an AR15 and mow down dozens of folks at once in their school or office, or in the Mall who turn out to have autistic traits.

And -yes it does effect me emotionally that that sort of thing is associated with autism. And for that very reason it irks me to see folks on an autistic website advocate for leniency for autistic killers. To my mind such leniency would just add to the stigma of autism by reinforcing the stereotype. But thats just my emotional prejudice. That we should be held to the same moral standards as others. Other autistics seem to disagree.

Thats enough questions for now. Whew!

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2021, 7:51 pm

14. Aspergers.

I'm pretty much a stranger to doctors.

No my family downplayed it, partially disbelieved it. did not understand it.

I fit in ok at school. But as i got older i tended to drift apart from mainstream values and culture. I realized I really AM different and I really AM autistic and no amount of fitting in was going to bring me any kind of peace of mind.

I was always bright academically. Diagnosis definitely did something to my sense of self.

Autistic traits make me extremely guarded about who or what i let into my life. I present myself amorphously.

I always act normal the best of my ability, i never reveal. I doubt anybody can guess, maybe the think im sightly weird, but i think my brain was socialized well enough as a child, no one ever suspected until i was a teen, i think that helped me able to 'blend in' in any setting. My sensory issues are mild, and my ability to read people is fairly good. I can be a quick talker and like to convesate with people , read them, calibrate a artful response, i dont think i have any issue reading facial language, body language , 'emotions in the eyes,' there i test as good, if not better than NT. But special interests do take over my life though, thats where there is no mistake i am on the spectrum.

Around strangers, yes. i can stonefaced to the point people double take, as if im trying to intimidate them or stare them down or something. Im neutral flat affect, easy going , as default. but round people i'm close to i can be highly animated. I keep my emotions to myself generally.

Yeah i played sports. I fit in, i enjoyed sports in my youth. And could still play sports if i wanted to, if i didnt think it was a waste of time.

I always had a stubborn minded insistence on doing what i wanted at the time, no matter the consequences. Wether it be a group activity or a lone pursuit.

Ive never tried to Mask, Ive always been just acted how i feel. Regardless of the impression it may have made, good or bad.

I laugh it off.

Thats a subculture of very bitter and angry guys. That doesnt even come into the equation in my mind.

Need to know basis. I dont tell anybody unless i think it necessary for them to know, or to my advantage even. I'm certainly not broadcasting it about.

I dont know what society expects. People are maybe surprised im so smart and normal, i guess they expect rain man. then they say things like "oh i guess it effects people in different ways". Almost like they don't believe me.

When your High functioning, your ina weird grey zone, where you seem capable enough to help yourself. But really on the inside you still f'd up, yet nobody can really tell, cause i keep a lid on it, and i can put on a nice facade of polite agreeableness.

Only if its Bill gates , Elon Musk or some other silicon valley guy or successful 'eccentric' who made it.

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2021, 8:31 pm

Something Profound wrote:
I have only told two coworkers on the condition they do not tell the rest of the company (And since I work for a therapuetic organization they understand that my request is a big deal). I told said coworkers because I feel they are the only ones I can trust at the moment. I feel that I will be judged rather harshly by everyone else if word got out, which is a bit interesting in a troubling sort of way (Again, therapuetic organization).

A bit off topic:

Seems to me that autistic and other neurodivergent therapists should be viewed as having a potentially VERY valuable niche role, due to their insights, from personal experience, into the challenges faced by similarly neurodivergent people.

Seems to me we also need a professional association of neurodivergent therapists. There already exists an Association of Neurodivergent Therapists in the U.K. We need a similar organization here in the U.S.A. too.

If you or anyone else would like to discuss this idea further, maybe we should start a separate thread about it?

quaker
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2021, 11:23 pm

I know many people in the Autism spectrum and find that women in the spectrum are much more noticeable than men, which debunks the socialisation theory. Most women I know present quite masculine and most men I know present quite feminine, the masculine / aspie-ness presentation draws my attention far more than the feminine / aspie-ness in men.

With respect to masking. My experience has been that adapted skills born in adversity at an early age will result in a more refined compensationary self and masking.

Also, those who are more right brain dominant have superior masking skills, this is an area that has been grossly overlooked. A good example here is Donna Williams, she presents (or more to the point her "presentations" - she had DID) very fluid and very "un- wooden" compared to her left brain dominant counterpart, Temple Grandin.

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2021, 11:49 pm

quaker wrote:
I know many people in the Autism spectrum and find that women in the spectrum are much more noticeable than men, which debunks the socialisation theory.

Sounds like anecdotal evidence.

quaker wrote:
Most women I know present quite masculine and most men I know present quite feminine, the masculine / aspie-ness presentation draws my attention far more than the feminine / aspie-ness in men.

My experience, admittedly limited, of actually talking to some genuine autistic people in real life group setting is the opposite. The men are typical definition, insular, overly quiet or overly loud, the geeky male stereotype, and the woman were quite feminine, take pride in their appearance, hair, makeup, dress, playful friendly attitude. (So much so, I tried to chat one up lol)
Unless you're talking appearance and not behavior. Again i disagree there also. What do you consider feminine and masculine anyway. I wouldn't use just one local group sample you might have encountered to define an entire world population that must be in the millions.

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)

quaker
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2021, 3:13 am

As a rule, we don't see things as they are; we see things as we are. Such subjective way of perceiving makes life all the more interesting, if not baffling and perplexing at times.

My experience of being a man and masking is that without concealing my natural autistic ways as a child, I would have been even more humiliated and mocked by my "caregivers" and children at school.

Post Dx support for me was invaluable in helping me better understand my psychological defences, and to begin to move beyond mere survival and into living more deeply and authentically. Not I hasten to add that survival has anything inauthentic about it.