Does this Service for Aspies exist?

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

rabo
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

21 Jul 2021, 6:18 am

Hi, community
as an aspie that is working as a freelancer I have some problems, but generally, I have to admit, that I can survive. ;) Nevertheless, it is harder than for NTs. My problems are very specific. Sometimes it is like there was a gap or several gaps in my profile. In other words: Within a given field I can do everything, besides X and besides Y. But both X and Y are essential to do the whole job. They are not difficult to do, but I cannot do them.

I hope I could explain it. It is a bit like being a perfect painter, you know everything about painting, but you can't see one specific colour.

Therefore I would like to know if a service/ coaching for aspies exists that offers somehow the filling of the gap on a paid basis. It would be some kind of coaching secretary or however you want to call that.

My questions:
1) Does this idea make any sense to you?
2) Does it already exist? If so, I would like to book it. ;) Please send me addresses by PM. ;)

Thanks
rabo

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2021, 7:36 pm

If we had a better-organized autistic community, including a variety of career-oriented groups for people in specific categories of professions / occupations / jobs, this would make it easier for us to organize into teams that could go into business as teams rather than as individual freelancers. Members of a team could complement each other's strengths and weaknesses.

We also need more of a marketplace for teams. These days there are a lot of websites where individual freelancers can find jobs, but no similar online marketplace for teams, as far as I am aware. (There used to be a website called elance where both individual freelancers and teams could find jobs, but it doesn't exist anymore.) We need someone to create and promote a marketplace for teams.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2021, 11:32 pm

Could you explain it a little more clearly?

rabo

23 Jul 2021, 4:10 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
Could you explain it a little more clearly?

I will try by giving you an example. I am a web designer/ programmer. I like to write code and work with photoshop. I am quite good in these fields. What I hate/ cannot do is all kinds of communications. I do not know exactly how it works.

But I am a freelancer; I also do not like to work in a company. I tried, it was not good for me and the others. But if I work as a freelancer, I should know how to communicate. The best way of getting new clients is to go to a party or some other kind of event, talk about this and that and explain to people what you do. You can be sure that some of them will remember you and call you later. Unfortunately, I can't do that.

I also do not understand how communication on the internet works. How do I get people to buy my services? How do I make my services popular? If I spend money on advertising, I will advertise in the wrong places. If I did SEO (Search engine optimisation) , I would do it for topics that bring no clients.

Do you see my problem? I guess, that many autists have similar problems. Maybe someone sees that potential and offers it as a service. Or, like Mona Pereth suggested, autists could organize it themselves.

rabo

23 Jul 2021, 4:15 am

Mona Pereth wrote:
If we had a better-organized autistic community, including a variety of career-oriented groups for people in specific categories of professions/occupations/jobs, this would make it easier for us to organize into teams that could go into business as teams rather than as individual freelancers. Members of a team could complement each other's strengths and weaknesses.

Yes and no. ;) I am afraid, that the "problems" are the same for all of us. ;) e. g. communication. But I must admit that there are some ways of communication that the internet can do. In that case, it would be easier.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2021, 9:46 am

Maybe an advertising agency could help you.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2021, 11:45 pm

I used to freelance, and I had a similar problem. I don't know of any aspie-specific resources. This is not really an aspie-specific problem; it is common. Some freelancers deal with this problem by working with other freelancers as a team, and some hire people short-term to do their SEO, client management, advertising, website-building, etc.

Mona Pereth wrote:
These days there are a lot of websites where individual freelancers can find jobs, but no similar online marketplace for teams, as far as I am aware.
Upwork allows teams to freelance on their website. The teams are called agencies.

rabo

04 Aug 2021, 2:40 pm

starkid wrote:
...This is not really an aspie-specific problem; it is common.

Yes, I must admit that you are probably right.