Autistic non verbal as a child plays non verbal autistic

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2021, 8:13 am

Actress with autism gives voice to the voiceless

Quote:
Rachel Barcellona has made a name for herself when it comes to what she says about autism awareness.

"I think everyone is special," she said during an interview at her Palm Harbor home, which is also her recording studio and writing workshop.

Her latest project is starring as "Mandy" in the film "Mandy's Voice," a film based on a Jacksonville-area girl with autism and is non-verbal.

"I had to really really tap into that inner-child that I had that couldn't talk," said Barcellona, who was non-verbal until she was five. "I am finally given this opportunity to do a story that is really close to myself even though I have a voice and some people may not, we really are not that different."

Director Roxanna Lewis says about a third of the cast and crew of 25 are either on the spectrum or are advocating for those close to them.

The film will be featured in festivals in 2022, with Lewis hoping it will not be seen as a story about "the others."

It's all music to Rachel's ears. She has spoken at the UN and works with numerous organizations to rip the barriers down between those who have autism, and the rest of us.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2021, 11:51 am

At least she apparently has a memories of what it was like to be monverbal.