Page 2 of 4 [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2021, 8:23 am

Update: The BIL has been intubated and given a 50/50 chance.  The baby is now in the ICU with COVID.  No change in the others.

The choices people make affect those who have no choice.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2021, 11:19 am

Fnord wrote:
Update: The BIL has been intubated and given a 50/50 chance.  The baby is now in the ICU with COVID.  No change in the others.

The choices people make affect those who have no choice.

:/

This is the worst part for me. It’s one thing for grown adults to make their beds and lay in them, entirely another to make poor decisions for an innocent infant that could end up lethal.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2021, 8:34 am

Update: The BIL passed away.  His wife and the others are recuperating at home.

Get the vaccine before it is too late!

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

06 Aug 2021, 9:41 am

Based on https://www.worldometers.info/coronavir ... alifornia/ Southern California is experiencing another wave :(
Stay safe, Fnord!

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2021, 9:48 am

Thanks, Magz!  We are all vaxxed up here at Chateau de Fnorde, we wear our masks everywhere, and we have also stocked up on hand-sanitizer.  If the vaccine boosters are approved, we will be charging to the head of the line.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2021, 9:58 am

goldfish21 wrote:
Yep, pretty lame that politicians and talking heads on the "news," are allowed to lie to people about public health and then people believe them because they've been conditioned to via lack of education & constant Billionaire sponsored propaganda. [...]
Moderators of social websites can be just as guilty.  Allowing the spread of lies and unfounded rumors about the coronavirus among a gullible members is irresponsible, especially when believing those lies and rumors could result in someone's death.  So what if someone's "rights" are being violated?  I do not get it...

Is it wrong to silence someone who shouts "Fire!" in a crowded theater?

No?

Then why is it wrong to silence someone who spreads lies about covid vaccines?

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2021, 3:32 pm

Fnord wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
Yep, pretty lame that politicians and talking heads on the "news," are allowed to lie to people about public health and then people believe them because they've been conditioned to via lack of education & constant Billionaire sponsored propaganda. [...]
Moderators of social websites can be just as guilty.  Allowing the spread of lies and unfounded rumors about the coronavirus among a gullible members is irresponsible, especially when believing those lies and rumors could result in someone's death.  So what if someone's "rights" are being violated?  I do not get it...

Is it wrong to silence someone who shouts "Fire!" in a crowded theater?

No?

Then why is it wrong to silence someone who spreads lies about covid vaccines?

It's not, and aren't they doing more of that now?

Iirc Jen Psaki said the feds have tracked a ~dozen offenders on FB spreading most of the bs and were working with FB to curtail it. Of course right wing media complained about saving lives and such.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2021, 12:30 pm

Twenty.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2021, 12:36 pm

Fnord wrote:
Twenty.

People dead from covid? This thread started with a count of 11 a couple weeks ago. 9 more?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2021, 12:39 pm

Yes. Nine more. In seven days.

None of them had the vaccine.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2021, 12:51 pm

Fnord wrote:

Jezuz. 8O Sorry to hear that. :/

We've had around 18-20 ppl die in a year and a half or so, only a few of them from covid - and they were in their 80's with other pre-existing conditions.

Our vaccination rates are decent, but it's still disappointing that there's hesitancy (or just laziness) here so not nearly as many people have been vaxxed so far as could have been. Walk-in clinics should have lineups of the unvaxxed, instead they're making pleas on social media for people to come before end of day and vaccines are wasted. Ridiculous. Some of it is just laziness, but some of it is because of nonsense conspiracy theory Q and trumpian republican crap spilling over the border and poisoning the minds of impressionable people who're all of the sudden smarter than virologists/immunologists after watching some YouTube video "warning," them that they "don't know what's in the vaccine," while they eat chicken nuggies that they have no idea the contents of. :/

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2021, 4:33 pm

Fnord wrote:

I am so sorry Fnord, it must be devastating to lose so many people. I am grateful that we have access to the vaccine, but even that is not enough to save people apparently.

Nearly every doctor around us advised to get vaccinated. My own mother has a history of cancer and thyroid disease yet her own doctor recommended to get vaccinated as soon as possible. I think only in cases of autoimmune diseases it is not recommended.

Flown
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2021, 8:47 am

Fnord wrote:
Dr. Brytney Cobia, who works at Grandview Medical Center in Birmingham, wrote: "I'm admitting young healthy people to the hospital with very serious COVID infections.  One of the last things they do before they're intubated is beg me for the vaccine.  I hold their hand and tell them that I'm sorry, but it's too late."

Of all her patients being treated for COVID-19 related illnesses, only one person had been vaccinated.  That patient needed oxygen but is expected to fully recover.

She said that while she may have initially tried to feel that unvaccinated patients made their own choice, she feels bad for them when they are "face to face".  She also noted how misinformation about COVID and the vaccines results in people not always making the best decisions for themselves.

State officials in Alabama recently reported that:

• 94 percent of COVID hospital patients since April have not been fully vaccinated.
• 96 percent of Alabamians who have died of COVID since April were unvaccinated.
• More than 11,400 people from the state have died from COVID.

Source:
 This Newsweek Article 

On a more personal note, so far, 11 of my friends and relatives have died of covid in the last year.  None of them had received the vaccine.  Every one of them had an unfounded (e.g., "lame") excuse:

• "Christians don't get covid."
• "Covid is a political hoax."
• "I megadose on vitamin D so I won't get covid."
• "It's just like a bad flu."
• "People with my blood type don't get covid."
• "The vaccines are nothing but salt-water."
• "The vaccines cause autism."
• "The vaccines cause covid."
• "The vaccines contain microchips."
• "White people don't get covid."

Every one of them begged for the vaccine before they were intubated.  For some of them, those were the last words they ever spoke.  Now they are all dead.

*hugs* I'm so sorry for your loss. I cannot believe some of the excuses you have listed here! People are ridiculous!

I've lost 3 family members so far to COVID. All were unvaccinated. My uncle was the most recent of these (caught the delta variant), and he was a hoaxer/devout Christian who refused to wear a mask or get a vaccine. He was young and fairly healthy. His family is heartbroken and shocked over his loss.

My in-laws are antivaxxers (more leftist politics, however). They are irked because we refuse to visit them. Their excuses are:
"I'm healthy and I am going to let my immune system do its job."
"Vaccines are toxic and I'm not going to take them (they also think vaccines cause autism).

I'm extremely concerned for them. They live in Alabama, where vaccination rates are low and infection rates are high. Hospitals are over capacity down here, and ambulances are LITERALLY waiting in lines to try to get patients help. It is similar here in Georgia.

Side note: I often fear going out wearing a mask (but do it anyway) because there is a risk of being harassed for doing so. My partner will drive to multiple gas stations (to find an empty one) so he doesn't have to risk being harassed or worse.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

31 Aug 2021, 9:06 am

^ What a crazy situation that people can get harassed for acting responsibly 8O

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Flown
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2021, 9:11 am

magz wrote:
^ What a crazy situation that people can get harassed for acting responsibly 8O

We are in the process of trying to sell our place here so we can move to a place where we feel a LITTLE less alien and a LOT more safe (not that we expect to ever fit in anywhere on this planet). This past year and half has been pretty terrifying. :wink:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2021, 9:13 am

In truth, most people really don't give a damn....

I find not drawing attention to myself saves a lot of trouble.