This is why I don't want the internet to take over our lives

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2021, 6:19 pm

I hate glitches and other weird things that happen for no reason that sometimes even an IT expert can't understand or solve. And yet the government wants everyone to do everything online.

Anyway, this isn't exactly a rant about the lockdown hoax to get everyone to live their whole lives online (that's another topic) it's a rant about a weird glitch I have on my Facebook messenger where I can't find any answers or solutions to.
So I sent my cousin a short video of me and my friend (nothing breaking any rules) on Facebook messenger and when I sent it a box came up saying "you can't reply to this conversation". I tried again but it did the same thing. I restarted my phone but that didn't work. I force closed the messenger app and cleared cache but that didn't work.

But every time I go on the help thing on messenger, and when I search on Google, I get the same useless answer: "your friend has blocked you/you have blocked your friend". OK, there is no way that my cousin (who I'm close to) has blocked me, there is no reason for her to and she wouldn't block me anyway, I just know. And I know I haven't blocked her. She was last active on messenger about 15-20 minutes ago and it doesn't look like her messenger or Facebook has been deactivated. I would text her but I wanted the video to be a surprise, if you know what I mean.

Without trying to convince me that she might have blocked me because she secretly hates me but is using her NT powers to look like she loves me and I'm a gullible Aspie who can't see that (she's not exactly NT anyway), does anyone know what could be wrong and how I can send my message? I sent her a video a few days ago and it sent and she replied, so I don't know why it suddenly won't let me do it now.

Technology! :roll:

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2021, 10:04 pm

Maybe she blocked you by mistake? I've had people do that before, like when they're cleaning out their friends list. (or at least they claim it was a mistake...)

You could call her on the phone. You don't have to spoil the video, just ask if she knows why PMs aren't working.

Have you tried using Facebook through a Web browser? I doubt that would solve the problem, but it's worth a try.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2021, 12:54 pm

It appears I only can't send videos, even though I sent her a video last week. I can send a message but not a video. It just keeps saying "you cannot reply to this conversation" when I try to send a video. :?

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2021, 11:27 pm

Well that's good, at least.
Dunno how to help with the rest, I don't use FB much, nor cell phones.

Blue_Star
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Jul 2021, 5:42 am

Have you tried uninstalling & reinstalling the fb messenger app? Android has both the full fb messenger app & fb messenger lite, have you tried uninstalling whichever you use & installing the other to try?

Is the app letting you choose a video before the "you cannot reply"? If not, that sounds more like an app issue. If it's occurring after choosing, it might be a file size or format issue of the video. It also might be worth making a very short (like 2 sec or such) video & trying to send that. If that works, it very likely could be the file size.

I don't actually send or make videos, but these are the things I'd look into.