Page 3 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2021, 8:46 pm

I would need something like that I think.

Alterity
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2021, 9:07 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
Dear_one wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:
Is it possible to find a way to mount handlebars on a horse to have something to hold onto and brakes that if one pulls them, they turn on a pre-recorded voice that says "Woah!"? As when I tried a horse, I could not switch off "Bicycle" in my brain.
Holding onto the horses ears and squeezing them in attempts to get it to stop does not really work as the horse kinda starts to run instead of stop.

So I was thinking if someone can invent some sort of handlebar interface device between the horse and the cyclist rider, a cyclist could get used to riding a horse.

You hold on with your legs, although a western style saddle has a hand hold available. Your hands belong on the reins, which combine the functions of accelerator, brake, and steering wheel.

The reigns (That is the word I was looking for when I said "Stringy things") are not in a fixed position so I can't use them to hold onto the horse. I had nothing to stop my whole body flopping forwards, backwards or sideways. It was scary!

Just like when you ride a bike you have to utilize balance for riding. Remember when you were first trying to ride a bike(no training wheels) you had to figure out how to balance and ride so you didn't tip over.

For someone that is just learning them holding onto the horn of western saddle, a strap that you attach to the D-rings on an english saddle, or even a chunk of mane is fine. Learning to establish your seat takes priority before you move and would even need to steer.

Establishing your seat - You need to sit on your butt. Heels down (toes to the sky); this is how you are going to maintain that balance. Back straight and tall, like someone is pulling on a string that is attached to the top of your head. Shoulders should be rolled back to give you an open chest. Your belly should remain soft, so don't clench it to sit up. Legs should be down, aligned with your body with a bit of a bend at the knee. Once you start moving you need to keep your hips open and loose to move along with the horse's movement. The rest of your body should be pretty stationary.

The reins aren't used for grip or balance they are only used for commands...but those commands are to be given via other means in addition to or instead of the reins also. For instance if you want to the horse to turn right you pull a bit on the right rein, give a little with the left. Move your right leg slightly back and add some pressure, while your left leg remains soft. Steering, going, and stopping involves our entire body when you are doing it properly. But it's not something to worry about too much when you are just starting.

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2021, 4:08 pm

I am much better with animals than with people. I think it is words that get in the way with people... the body language rarely matches with what comes out of the mouth. I spent my life working with animals, no regrets. I can name every horse I ever came in contact with in the order i met and interacted with them, the context of my interactions with them, full physical description as well as personality, from the first at my age of 4 to the last at age 68. I could probably do the same for dogs and cats but have never wrote it all down. Those interactions with animals were the best experiences and best memories of my life. I will be 70 this year.

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2021, 5:44 pm

Sounds like you have had a lovely repoire with animals all your life. And a early happy Birthday to you.
Have almost always had great experiences with most all the animals have known .
And must agree about people versus animals .

where ever you go ,there you are

Fern
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2021, 10:17 pm

I like to think that I'm good with animals.
Really, I think I'm best with the particularly nervous or neurotic ones, you know, the ones I can relate to. XD

chaosmos
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Jul 2021, 11:31 pm

Fern wrote:
I like to think that I'm good with animals.
Really, I think I'm best with the particularly nervous or neurotic ones, you know, the ones I can relate to. XD

Hahaha same!

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2021, 10:16 am

NO

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

LadeyX
Butterfly
Butterfly

28 Jul 2021, 11:08 am

No I'm terrible with animals. As soon as they come close I have to get away from them! If I touch them I have to wash my hands straight away. I can't stand it.

Harry Haller
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Jul 2021, 11:31 am

Made friends with all the wild animals in the forest here, they're no longer afraid of me.
Birds will return, nest in the feeders when ill.
Sometimes they make it; sometimes not.

Their lives are harsh.

WitchsCat
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2021, 1:51 pm

Yes. In fact, my cat and I were very close for 18 years now. I would often have more conversations with her than most anyone else. I also have a cockatoo named TJ who is usually noisy, but is usually quieter when I am around.

Not just my pets, but others as well. For example, I used to have a neighbor who had a ferocious dog, but it wasn't very ferocious when I was around him. I also wanted to become a veterinarian or zookeeper, but learned that it had a price: they both involve euthanizing an animal on occasion, and I don't think I can handle it.

My cat Kiki is epileptic for a year and a half now, and I have been giving her meds for it. Even so, I am preparing for when her time comes; I got a cuddle clone of her that is also an urn, because Kiki has always been there for me. Right now, she's in good health and always manages to get on my bed in spite of her age.

StrayCat81
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Jul 2021, 6:49 am

I certainly enjoy socializing with various animals. As long as they are not humans... :3

Juliette
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2021, 8:04 am

Definitely prefer animals to humans … the best part of a trip to Iceland was time spent with the Icelandic horses … they were incredibly affectionate and protective! They were so cute, miniature! :heart: I’m not even a horse person, but I lost my heart to them! Once rode bare back on the first horse I was ever on, and it was a wild horse! It threw a female friend who was 10 at the time and who later became a vet.

I’d never owned a dog before, but when in Crete couldn’t bare to leave a homeless dog there as dogs were being shot in the street and tied to barrel on hills and left to die. I arranged with Greek Animal Rescue to have him rescued, given a poochie passport and flown to England to me. Best thing I ever did! I also have two ragdoll kitties. In Australia, I grew up in sub-tropical Queensland with chickens, 16 guinea pigs, fish, aviaries of beautiful birds, surrounded by wildlife … kookaburras, parrots, galahs, blue tongued lizards, kangaroos, koalas … kangaroos were particularly special to me and very soothing to be around when my mother passed away when I was 4yrs. I used to visit a sanctuary for them called Lone Pine.