Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Jul 2021, 6:59 am

Even better with them than with people?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2021, 8:03 am

I'm pretty good with cats----not so great with certain dogs.

Other animals: forget about it.

neilinmich
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Jul 2021, 8:33 am

I hope I'm not the normal response here. I'm not good with animals. I don't want to have pets. I don't mind others who have pets. But pets are not for me. Someone asked me to take care of their dog while they were on vacation. The dog walked all over me just like people do (especially the person who asked me to take the dog). It owned me instead of the other way around. I felt used.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2021, 9:47 am

Domesticated animals usually like me if they were not abused or trained to be attack/guard animals.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

gwynfryn
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2021, 10:06 am

Technic1 wrote:

Ha! With over six decades of practice, I’ve learned to get on well with pretty much everybody, but always could with most animals. I’ve been nipped twice, once as a toddler when I stepped on the poor dog’s tail, so no complaints there. The other time was just a few years ago, by a dog that didn’t get the difference between owned property and public highway.

It may be down to, as the author of discworld pointed out, not ever using deodorants; I don’t smell wrong.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2021, 10:56 am

I am pretty good with domesticated animals and get along with them better than people. They are easier to "read" and very easy to win over. lol

Wild animals aren't really scared of me and let me go near them, but don't go out of their way to come to me unless they're a stray domesticated animal, or a few types of insects/jumping spiders (jumping spiders seem to like everyone though).

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2021, 11:38 am

Yes, fairly good. Most cats seem to like me, so I guess I get their vote. I'm OK with dogs as long as I have the time, but I wouldn't want to keep one. They tend to want a lot of attention and I have ethical problems with ordering them about, which often seems the only way of dealing with them, but I hate hierarchies even when I'm at the top of them. One of the things I like about cats is that they're so hard to push around.

I get a lot of delight from cute animals, but I notice a lot of people seem to think cuteness is all there is to them. I try to see beyond that and to figure out how it is from the animal's point of view.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2021, 3:16 pm

I usually am. I'm calm, quiet, patient, and far better at reading their non-verbal cues. I have had people tell me that they were going to tell me a cat didn't like to be petted, until they saw that I was busy scratching its chin as it purred. I have the most experience with cats, but I seem to have a calming effect on many animals, not only cats. I'm pretty good at not scaring wildlife away, too (as long as I don't have my dog with me, of course :lol: ). Just yesterday I was sitting on a swing on my grandparents' porch, and a wild bird (I think some species of titmouse) flew over and hovered two or three feet in front of me. They put out hummingbird feeders, but I don't think they directly feed any birds, so I don't think it was hoping for a snack, just checking me out.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

Danusaurus
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2021, 6:58 pm

Technic1 wrote:

Don't know how I'd go with animal care.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2021, 7:03 pm

Am I good with animals? The ones that speak English are easier to deal with as we once had a Welsh speaking goat called Annie and she would chase me and butt me. Never happened with the English speaking goats, apart from a goat with horns called Sian who may have been Welsh speaking? I am not sure as her bleats were hard to tell.

Last edited by Mountain Goat on 23 Jul 2021, 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2021, 7:08 pm

I can be.

Only that I'm mostly indifferent to most animals and just as untrained with it.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2021, 2:05 am

I have a friend with a watchdog who once backed her former owner into a corner in terror. When people visit him, they get various degrees of barking until approved by her human. When I arrive, even her fur stays flat.
I find that if I make friends with their dog first, many humans will trust me, but others just lose faith in their dog.
I feel sorry for most pets and almost all domestic animals because I can understand them but their owner's can't. Bovine is a very simple tonal language, but most cowboys can't distinguish between the sound of "hi" and "HELP!"

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2021, 3:36 am

Not really, but they aren't unusually aggressive at me or anything, either.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2021, 3:49 am

Yes, except horses. They're skittish weirdos.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2021, 3:59 am

hurtloam wrote:
Yes, except horses. They're skittish weirdos.

Horses communicate by relative body positions. The few who master it amaze even lifelong horse owners, yet it is not complicated to learn.

chaosmos
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Jul 2021, 4:10 am

My connection with my dog is deep and trusting.
Many who meet him and me (often on long solo walks) have commented on how connected we are. I don’t know why he is so attuned to me but I think it’s because we have spent so much time together and as soon as I rescued him I felt like I was connected to his rhythms and what he needed to learn from me.

Sounds weird and abstract but if you met him I’m sure you’d understand!

And yes, much easier than humans!! !! !