Amy Winehouse gone 10 years today

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2021, 8:07 am

Yes her life was the definition of hot mess and I wished she had went to rehab yes, yes, yes but she was a great talent and influence. At the time of her arrival here in 2006 British music once the staple on the American charts had largely disappeared. The sounds heard here had not appreciably changed since the early 90s. You had your alt rock, hip-hop, dance pop, and a bit of electronica. Winehouse did what all the great Brit acts do, put their stamp on American black music and sell it back to us. She opened up the charts to other female and British “neo soul” acts such as Duffy, Estelle and most notably Adele. Also she paved the way for non neo soul female Brit acts such as Lily Allen and Jessie J.

Towards the end there was talk of a holiday album of both Christmas and Hanukkah songs. Christmas songs have been the same old, same old seemingly forever. And there is that one Adam Sandler Hanukkah song. Being Jewish like Winehouse I still am curious as hell as to what an Amy Winehouse Hanukkah cover or original would have sounded like.

This is an autism forum so no anniversary should go by without a little speculation. That was not a thought of mine at the time I was not diagnosed yet. She had no filter, was said to have no concept of her stardom, naive and easily taken advantage of. Does that sound like something?. Yes ASD and a bunch of other plausible conditions, we will never know.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2021, 9:49 am

Her story reads much like that of Janis Joplin -- great talent, tragically wasted.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2021, 12:58 pm

She is my favourite celebrity! A special interest even. I love her and if she was alive today I'd go to her concerts.

RIP Amy, fantastic music legend. :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2021, 2:17 pm

Janis Joplin and Amy Winehouse have their differences and similarities......

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2021, 2:28 pm

Would it be appropriate to drink in her honour?

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2021, 3:09 pm

Somehow....I don't believe she would mind :P

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2021, 3:49 pm

Time flies. Its been that long! 8O

I gotta get to work!

Washington DC's own Godfather of Go-Go music, Chuck Brown, died at about the same time she did.

She died young. He died at a ripe old age but still active.

I started to work on a mash up of the two of them - separate recordings each made singing the same song. The old jazz standard "Moody's Mood For Love" to salute both of them.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2021, 7:48 pm

Here's one video of her when she wasn't drunk or drugged up. I have the same accent and voice as her. I'm happy about that. She speaks just like me. :heart:

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2021, 8:02 pm

Yes. She spoke in front of her band on a link to some US variety show I saw during her rise. And it struck me how thick her London Cockney dialect was. Maybe its her exotic Middle Eastern look that made it seem incongruous to hear that earthy Anglosaxon dialect come out of her mouth. Nothing wrong with it. Made her all the more fascinating.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2021, 4:51 am

Joe90 wrote:
Here's one video of her when she wasn't drunk or drugged up. I have the same accent and voice as her. I'm happy about that. She speaks just like me. :heart:

Like most Americans I am a sucker for British accents. Despite his accent the interviewer is a jerk.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2021, 4:55 am

Fnord wrote:
Her story reads much like that of Janis Joplin -- great talent, tragically wasted.

Like Joplin she is a member of the 27 Club.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2021, 6:02 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Yes. She spoke in front of her band on a link to some US variety show I saw during her rise. And it struck me how thick her London Cockney dialect was. Maybe its her exotic Middle Eastern look that made it seem incongruous to hear that earthy Anglosaxon dialect come out of her mouth. Nothing wrong with it. Made her all the more fascinating.

I think it's more of an Essex-chav accent, as cockney is slightly different. Only British people will tell the difference. But she seemed to sing her songs in an American sort of accent.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2021, 6:23 am

Joe90 wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

I think it's more of an Essex-chav accent, as cockney is slightly different. Only British people will tell the difference. But she seemed to sing her songs in an American sort of accent.

Yes. From my pov she sang in "no dialect at all" because she sounded pretty much like my American midwestern parents sounded when she sang.

There is SOME current UK band (I forget which one) that sounds cockney/chav when they sing. But most British bands iron out their regional and class kinks when they sing. Dont know if thats by accident or by design.

The Beatles themselves are a prime example. When I was a grade school kid in the Sixties I had no trouble understanding the words of their songs. But had to struggle to understand their spoken dialogue in the movie "A Hard Days Night" because of their Scouse (Liverpool) dialect.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2021, 6:53 am

Quote:
There is SOME current UK band (I forget which one) that sounds cockney/chav when they sing.

Like Chas and Dave. :lol:

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2021, 8:06 am

Joe90 wrote:
Quote:
There is SOME current UK band (I forget which one) that sounds cockney/chav when they sing.

Like Chas and Dave. :lol:

As an American the following might not be exactly Cockney
From your era there is Lily Allen and Kate Nash

For those that do not know LDN is shorthand for London

This is from my era but being an autism forum this song has to be included

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2021, 9:11 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Fnord wrote:

Like Joplin she is a member of the 27 Club.

It's odd that Robert Johnson wasn't mentioned in that article, who also died at 27, and is considered the Father of Rock and Roll.

Oscar Meyer Lansky