Women to be required to register for the draft

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2021, 9:18 am

Quote:
The Senate Armed Services Committee has approved language in its annual defense policy bill that would require women to register for the draft.

The National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) approved by the committee behind closed doors Wednesday “amends the Military Selective Service Act to require the registration of women for Selective Service,” according to a summary released Thursday.

The United States has not instituted a draft since the Vietnam War, and Pentagon officials have repeatedly said they intend to keep the force all-volunteer.

But men ages 18 through 25 still have to register with what’s officially known as the Selective Service System or face consequences such as losing access to federal financial aid for college.

Quote:
In June, the Supreme Court declined to take up a case challenging the constitutionality of the all-male draft, citing the expectation that Congress would soon act on the issue.

"It remains to be seen, of course, whether Congress will end gender-based registration under the Military Selective Service Act," wrote Justice Sonia Sotomayor in an opinion, joined by Justices Stephen Breyer and Brett Kavanaugh. “But at least for now, the Court’s longstanding deference to Congress on matters of national defense and military affairs cautions against granting review while Congress actively weighs the issue.”

Source: https://thehill.com/policy/defense/564423-senate-panel-votes-to-make-women-register-for-draft

I had seen discussions around the case when it was taken to SCOTUS, but hadn't expected this to happen so soon after they had declined to take the case up.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2021, 9:21 am

I wonder how the suffragettes of a century ago would react to trading one kind of second-class status for another.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2021, 9:34 am

Well it is unfair to only require men to register...so I am not against this.

Or they could just remove the selective service thing alltogether, I do not see what benefit there'd really be to having unwilling soldiers.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2021, 9:44 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
[...] I do not see what benefit there'd really be to having unwilling soldiers.
Tell that to the families and descendants of the people who won World War Two.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2021, 10:53 am

Its a good idea.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2021, 11:05 am

Abolish the military draft, but institute a term of national service for all high school grads. It could be anything from military training, to forest fire fighting, to office work, to food service at a military center.

I've known several young ladies who were in the Army national guard, and it actually was good career development for them.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2021, 11:07 am

^ No thanks. I enjoy my veteran's benefits...which I most likely wouldn't get if everyone was a "veteran."

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2021, 11:13 am

Fnord wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
[...] I do not see what benefit there'd really be to having unwilling soldiers.
Tell that to the families and descendants of the people who won World War Two.

Still I don't think it would have made it easy on the units that had them.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2021, 11:48 am

The majority of soldiers who served in WW2 were drafted - 61.2 according to the National WW2 Museum.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2021, 11:55 am

XFilesGeek wrote:
BeaArthur wrote:
Abolish the military draft, but institute a term of national service for all high school grads. It could be anything from military training, to forest fire fighting, to office work, to food service at a military center.  I've known several young ladies who were in the Army national guard, and it actually was good career development for them.
^ No thanks. I enjoy my veteran's benefits... which I most likely wouldn't get if everyone was a "veteran."
Actually, this could work.  How about...

For two years of reserve duty after high school, the service member receives free tuition toward a Bachelor's Degree in a STEM course.

For a minimum of two years of subsequent active service, the person receives all of the other benefits we enjoy (i.e., free medical exams and prescriptions, housing loans without down payments, et cetera).

For a total of 20+ years of service, servicemembers retire with full pay.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2021, 3:05 pm

VegetableMan wrote:
The majority of soldiers who served in WW2 were drafted - 61.2 according to the National WW2 Museum.

But how many might have gone either way? They probably do not have that statistic specifically.

That said though it was a different time and well all and all it was good that the allies won, but certainly some of how it was done does not sit well with me. I am not going to sit in judgement of it, but it does make me think the goal should certainly be to never have a world war like that again.

I am saying moving forward I would not be in agreement with a draft over-all but if they're going to have one it should include women as well. At the end of the day I am probably too old and out of shape and not mentally fit enough for them to want me anyways so also not an issue that directly effects me. I guess I'd care more what like 18-25 year olds think about it, since they are the ones most effected.