Cleveland changing name from Indians to Guardians

Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

roronoa79
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2021, 1:13 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
The Blackhawks are paying tribute to a real person in the franchise's history, which obviously isn't true about Chief Wahoo.

Black Hawk lived a century before the hockey team existed. The team was named after the infantry division in which the team's first owner was a commander in WWI, which was itself named after the Sauk chief.
My angle was more to do with the logo itself rather than what it meant. Chief Wahoo is very cartoony, but the Blackhawks logo is more realistic--if still stylized--so the latter isn't ideal, but it's still less offensive than the former.

Δυνατὰ δὲ οἱ προύχοντες πράσσουσι καὶ οἱ ἀσθενεῖς ξυγχωροῦσιν.
Those with power do what their power permits, and the weak can only acquiesce.

- Thucydides

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2021, 8:17 pm

Thanks for clearing it up.

At least they didn’t go with “Flaming Rivers”

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2021, 8:30 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:
roronoa79 wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:
Don't they respect Indians any more? What have Indians done to them that they have decided to change the name?

Most Native Americans would rather sports teams such as the Indians change their names out of deference to the native community. Sports team names that don't have to do with where the team is (eg: Brewers (Wisconsin), Senators (Washington), Arsenal F.C. (the Royal Arsenal in London)) are often meant to seem fierce, intimidating, warlike (wildcats, eagles, bears, vikings). Indians in this case is used as the name not so much out of respect so much as so they could have a vaguely intimidating name. This is considered in poor taste as it frames the natives as warlike. Arguments that these names are used out of respect fall flat when one considers Native condemnation of these names, and the fact that Natives would rather we show our respect in more meaningful ways, like working to preserve their culture and improve their standards of living.

As far as visual depictions go, it’s similar to Muhammad?

It's more like not appreciating being represented by insulting caricatures.

Among things, it's not an issue that indigenous people all feel the same about but overall it's not appreciated because most examples that exist aren't intended to be respectful, they're just trading off of 'oh, they're dangerous' stereotypes and then they draw some stereotyped representation and act like it's motivated by respect.

Correct.

Totally different issue from Mohammed. In Islam its forbidden to make graven images of the Prophet.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2021, 8:32 pm

roronoa79 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
The Blackhawks are paying tribute to a real person in the franchise's history, which obviously isn't true about Chief Wahoo.

Black Hawk lived a century before the hockey team existed. The team was named after the infantry division in which the team's first owner was a commander in WWI, which was itself named after the Sauk chief.
My angle was more to do with the logo itself rather than what it meant. Chief Wahoo is very cartoony, but the Blackhawks logo is more realistic--if still stylized--so the latter isn't ideal, but it's still less offensive than the former.

After further reading the should make Tommy Hawk the new Blackhawks logo.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

roronoa79
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2021, 6:02 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
Thanks for clearing it up.

At least they didn’t go with “Flaming Rivers”

:lol: :lol:
Reminds me of this:

Δυνατὰ δὲ οἱ προύχοντες πράσσουσι καὶ οἱ ἀσθενεῖς ξυγχωροῦσιν.
Those with power do what their power permits, and the weak can only acquiesce.

- Thucydides