Clapton is not God just another flawed person

Page 2 of 6 [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2021, 7:24 am

In this era when so many old songs have been cancelled a lot of the songs we have been discussing are still regularly played on “oldies”, “Classic Hits”, and “Classic Rock” stations. If it was creepy back in the ‘70s what does it say about the sixtysomethings audiences for these songs?

Those who read my posts know I am anti cancel culture. If I was the owner or program director of a radio/internet station I would play plenty of old songs considered offensive, I would play and not replace the slurs with euphemisms in this song and this song. You would never hear that Ringo song nor Gary Puckett’s and the Union Gap’s ‘Young Girl’ even though the protagonist rejects the advances of an underage girl on my station.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2021, 7:42 am

He says he opposes discrimination.

“I wish to say that I will not perform on any stage where there is a discriminated audience present".
https://news.yahoo.com/eric-clapton-fan ... 42972.html

Why the name calling of "anti-vaxxer", and "flawed person"?

Be the hero of your life.

TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2021, 7:53 am

He did get vaccinated with two shots.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/er ... r-BB1gPT02

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2021, 7:58 am

TheRobotLives wrote:

“I wish to say that I will not perform on any stage where there is a discriminated audience present".
https://news.yahoo.com/eric-clapton-fan ... 42972.html

Why the name calling of "anti-vaxxer", and "flawed person"?

Beyond doing something that might cause a super spreader event there are xenophobic things he has done as demonstrated in the OP.

Eric Clapton is a public figure not a member of wrong planet. Eric Clapton made a very public political statement. Saying bad things about public figures is allowed here.

It was the headline writer that said anti vax. He talked about the negative reaction he had to the vaccine. “Anti vaxx” has come to mean not only being against vaccinations but being skeptical of them and opposing government mitigation measures. I agree Anti lockdown would be more accurate language. That said if you read the article you know exactly what he is against, if you just read the headline that is on you.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 25 Jul 2021, 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2021, 8:12 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
In this era when so many old songs have been cancelled a lot of the songs we have been discussing are still regularly played on “oldies”, “Classic Hits”, and “Classic Rock” stations. If it was creepy back in the ‘70s what does it say about the sixtysomethings audiences for these songs?

Those who read my posts know I am anti cancel culture. If I was the owner or program director of a radio/internet station I would play plenty of old songs considered offensive, I would play and not replace the slurs with euphemisms in this song and this song. You would never hear that Ringo song nor Gary Puckett’s and the Union Gap’s ‘Young Girl’ even though the protagonist rejects the advances of an underage girl on my station.

Did you forget to put the word "But" at the start of the last sentence?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2021, 8:17 am

naturalplastic wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

But, wouldn’t that be redundant?

TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2021, 8:28 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
That said if you read the article you know exactly what he is against, if you just read the headline that is on you.

I read the article and it shows Clampton's public statement that he doesn't support discrimination.

https://t.me/robinmg/6116

The article does not say Clapton was skeptical, rather, it says Robin Monotti was skeptical.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2021, 9:40 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

Not at all.

Without the "but" either you're not making sense. OR you are making sense and I totally misunderstand you. So if its the later then what am I missing?

You are saying..."I hate cancel culture and censorship and such, and...if I owned an oldies station I would play the unvarnished versions versions of the old songs"

Then you say

"I would NOT play song A and song B ".

The second thing doesnt follow from the first thing. In fact it's is a seeming contradiction of the first thing.

If you had said "I would play the unvarnished version of old songs, BUT I would not play song A, and song B" then that would have made sense. See what I mean?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2021, 10:56 am

naturalplastic wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

Not at all.

Without the "but" either you're not making sense. OR you are making sense and I totally misunderstand you. So if its the later then what am I missing?

You are saying..."I hate cancel culture and censorship and such, and...if I owned an oldies station I would play the unvarnished versions versions of the old songs"

Then you say

"I would NOT play song A and song B ".

The second thing doesnt follow from the first thing. In fact it's is a seeming contradiction of the first thing.

If you had said "I would play the unvarnished version of old songs, BUT I would not play song A, and song B" then that would have made sense. See what I mean?

It might be a regional or local or family dialect type of thing. I often find myself reminding myself that I am posting in an autism forum, that I should begin sentences with words such as “But” or “I” but I do not always remember because I often naturally do not use those words. Instead of “I went to work, then I went to the store, then I went home” I might say “I went to work, went to the store, went home”

I have heard sentences constructed that way and I have never had a problem understanding them. Many song lyrics are constructed that way.

When you asked did I forget the “but” my first inclination was to reply “Wouldn’t that be redundant?” I added the “but” as a half serious joke. In the beginning of my post I was criticizing oldies stations playing those type of songs. Then stating that 1. As a program director I would not censor songs that are generally censored 2. I would censor songs dealing with older guy, young girl sex I subconsciously assumed the reader would understand I was trying to emphasize my particular dislike for adult/underage sex songs. Assumed is the operative word, there was no thought given to it at the time.

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2021, 4:28 pm

So why isn't Clapton allowed his own view?
Its a concert..Nobody is forced to go.
Don't like the mask/vax policy. don't go to his concerts.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2021, 6:16 am

TheRobotLives wrote:

He does now, But not in 1976
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/eric- ... cist-rant/

To me its not a big deal. Clapton and Bowie went through a transformation and were different people at the end of their careers, 1960s Bowie would have angrily racially abused his future wife African wife Imam and his own daughter.

People can change.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2021, 11:43 am

Mr Reynholm wrote:
So why isn't Clapton allowed his own view?
Its a concert..Nobody is forced to go.
Don't like the mask/vax policy. don't go to his concerts.

Who says he isn't allowed his own view?

Also, more like if he doesn't like the venues mask/vax policy, he can refuse to play there. He doesn't get to decide what policy concert venues have even if he does think he is some kind or rock god.

But, you are right that he has the right to whine and complain about it all he wants.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2021, 11:48 am

TheRobotLives wrote:
He did get vaccinated with two shots.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/er ... r-BB1gPT02

Also though, from the article
Clapton noted that he “should’ve never gone near the needle” because of his “peripheral neuropathy” but added the “propaganda said the vaccine was safe for everyone.”

Did he bother to inform the person administering the vaccine about the peripheral neuropathy?

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2021, 3:30 pm

Maybe give the guy a break he`s just a musician, you dont have to go to his concerts & maybe he`s standing against forced identity cards & manditory population trackers via mobile apps.

As someone who`s had the pfizer vaccine im still against vaccine passports.

By the way the data now shows the vaccine doesnt stop you getting COVID neither passing it on, just developing a serious illness from it. That was always the case, since big pharma transmition data was based upon the obvious fact a person is more likely to transmit COVID if they have a more serious form of it, since they have more of it in their body.

The flaw here is someone who`s dying of COVID is unlikely to go to a concert or be walking around in public, but a complicit media & gov kept the misinformation & semantics going to encourage vaccination overall.

https://swprs.org/covid-vaccines-the-go ... -the-ugly/

- George Bernie Shaw

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2021, 3:39 pm

Eric Clapton is just one more has-been/wannabe who is trying to stay relevant to the media-gobbling public.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2021, 4:02 pm

carlos55 wrote:
The flaw here is someone who`s dying of COVID is unlikely to go to a concert or be walking around in public, but a complicit media & gov kept the misinformation & semantics going to encourage vaccination overall.

https://swprs.org/covid-vaccines-the-go ... -the-ugly/

You don't need to be dying of an infectious disease to spread it to others though.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う