Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2021, 10:47 pm

Pepe wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
A good point to reflect on the words from one of Clapton's songs.

"Would you know my name, if I saw you in heaven" "Cause I know I don't belong here in heaven"

Predicted the outcome his own dumb behvaior

Wow .05% chance of dying. Guess he better get his affairs in order.

Even if Clapton doesn't die from Covid, he could give it to someone else who might die.
No overreach. Just common sense and responsibility.

People *fully vaccinated* also pass on the virus. 8)

Kraichgauer wrote:
Correct me if I'm mistaken, but hadn't Clapton a while back bragged about being a racist?

Misquoted.
He actually bragged that he was a *rabbit*.
I think he had a joint in his mouth, at the time. :mrgreen:

Yes, they "can," but it's less likely.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2021, 1:33 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

"Would you know my name, if I saw you in heaven" "Cause I know I don't belong here in heaven"

Even if Clapton doesn't die from Covid, he could give it to someone else who might die.

Kraichgauer wrote:
Correct me if I'm mistaken, but hadn't Clapton a while back bragged about being a racist?

Misquoted.

It may be less likely, but it does happen.
I believe the chance is more than 1 in 4 people fully vaccinated.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2021, 1:40 am

Pepe wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Kraichgauer wrote:

Misquoted.

Whereas it's 100% transferable by the non-vaccinated.

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2021, 8:32 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Kraichgauer wrote:

Misquoted.

How so?
Vaccination just protects you from the virus. It doesn't change how the virus travels. Even vaccinated people will encounter, carry and spread the virus.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2021, 7:00 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Kraichgauer wrote:

Misquoted.

This is a logically invalid statement and has no connection to the reasoning I presented.
I can explain it to you if you wish. :mrgreen:

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2021, 7:33 pm

Mr Reynholm wrote:
Vaccination just protects you from the virus. It doesn't change how the virus travels. Even vaccinated people will encounter, carry and spread the virus.

In the same exposure, the vaccinated are less likely to end up carrying any load at all, and when they do it is for a shorter time. All told I believe the vaccinated are only 25% as likely to carry or transmit than the un-vaccinated. Its a significant difference.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2021, 11:27 pm

Mr Reynholm wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Kraichgauer wrote:

Misquoted.

How so?

People smart enough to get vaccinated will also be smart enough to wear masks, and social distance. That, along with vaccination, makes it all less likely.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2021, 11:29 pm

Pepe wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Kraichgauer wrote:

Misquoted.

This is a logically invalid statement and has no connection to the reasoning I presented.
I can explain it to you if you wish. :mrgreen:

No need.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2021, 6:21 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Kraichgauer wrote:

Misquoted.

How so?

People smart enough to get vaccinated will also be smart enough to wear masks, and social distance. That, along with vaccination, makes it all less likely.

I don't think you can say all people who don't want the vaccine are stupid.
Conversely, blindly following the establishment's edicts is not a sign of intelligence either.

Recently, on TV, I heard the reasoning of a learned person speaking about forced vaccination in the workplace.
One of the points she, err, pointed out what that the drugs are still experimental without long term investigation and could have possible long term consequences.

Another obvious point is that if someone chooses not to be vaccinated, they are putting themselves at greater risk and present virtually no danger to those who have been double/triple vaccinated.

Another point she was making was that it was a case of personal freedoms, and the government is not in an ethical position if they are mandating vaccination.

Also, covid seriously affects only a small number of people who are usually the aged and/or those who have comorbidities.

As per usual, things aren't as simple as they may first appear. 8)

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2021, 6:50 am

[quote=“pepe”]
Another obvious point is that if someone chooses not to be vaccinated, they are putting themselves at greater risk and present virtually no danger to those who have been double/triple vaccinated.[/quote]

What bothers me is that it ISN’T just about them. The unvaccinated are roughly 4 times as likely to carry and spread the virus. That is 4 times the opportunity for it to mutate. 4 times the opportunity to push a breakthrough infection onto someone who is vaccinated.

They are ten times as likely to need hospitalization, putting pressure on limited resources and forcing hospitals to defer potentially life saving care for non-COVID patients. People who successfully protected themselves from COVID have died because the local hospital couldn’t take them in for their medical emergency because they were over burdened with COVID cases.

COVID-19 is a fickle, unpredictable disease. Children are being orphaned as presumably low risk parents both die from it.

It doesn’t matter if odds are still relatively low. They remain high enough to create devastation for large numbers of families.

My kids aren’t ready to figure out our estate and have to fend for themselves if something happens to my husband and I, but I am exposed regularly to someone who is choosing not to vaccinate and who really isn’t thinking about my risk AT ALL. It’s selfish. I’m being respectful and doing my best to work it out, but their selfishness and the needless risk put on me is gnawing at me. How could it not?

It isn’t just their own risk. That is the (literally, at times) fatal fallacy in their logic.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2021, 7:40 am

I don't deal too much in "formal logic" and syllogisms and stuff like that. All this scholastic stuff has its place----but it's not a panacea by any means. There are "faults" even when the precepts of "logic" are fully adhered to.

I deal with practicalities.

About 97% of the hospitalized patients in NY State (which is fortunate in not being severely overburdened like places such as Texas) are UN-vaccinated.

The vaccinated might, or might not, have less of a "viral load" than the unvaccinated. But, at least, they have antibodies which offer at least some protection against someone getting pneumonia as a complication of simple COVID.

And, many times, more virulence (severity) in one person equals more virulence in another person.

I just hung out with somebody who had a rather severe reaction to his second Moderna shot. But this was because he has a pre-existing condition affecting the stomach. He developed digestive symptoms that lasted 1.5 weeks.

I've known quite a few people who got vaccinated. He was the only one who had symptoms for more than 2 days. Most people I know only had pain at the injection site, and maybe some slight flu-like symptoms for less than a day.

I wish the vaccines offered more protection against acquiring COVID. I wish they were better, over all. But taking the vaccine, logically and otherwise, is much more to everyone's advantage than not taking the vaccine.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2021, 8:45 am

Pepe wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Kraichgauer wrote:

Misquoted.

How so?

I don't think you can say all people who don't want the vaccine are stupid.
Conversely, blindly following the establishment's edicts is not a sign of intelligence either.

Recently, on TV, I heard the reasoning of a learned person speaking about forced vaccination in the workplace.
One of the points she, err, pointed out what that the drugs are still experimental without long term investigation and could have possible long term consequences.

Another obvious point is that if someone chooses not to be vaccinated, they are putting themselves at greater risk and present virtually no danger to those who have been double/triple vaccinated.

Another point she was making was that it was a case of personal freedoms, and the government is not in an ethical position if they are mandating vaccination.

Also, covid seriously affects only a small number of people who are usually the aged and/or those who have comorbidities.

As per usual, things aren't as simple as they may first appear. 8)

Then we'll just have to agree to disagree. People rejecting the Covid vaccination are primarily doing it out of the right's political indoctrination, and the notion that science must bend to political ideology.
I would much rather be following the herd and get vaccinated rather than take horse dewormer, which has actually killed many of the feeble minded.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2021, 6:08 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:

Then we'll just have to agree to disagree. People rejecting the Covid vaccination are primarily doing it out of the right's political indoctrination, and the notion that science must bend to political ideology.
I would much rather be following the herd and get vaccinated rather than take horse dewormer, which has actually killed many of the feeble minded.

There are feeble-minded on both sides.

The biggest problem seems to boil down to overwhelming the health system.
*That* is the real issue, I believe.

BTW, I received my certificate for being fully vaccinated, yesterday. :thumright:

"My life, my choice." 8)

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2021, 6:23 pm

Pepe wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

There are feeble-minded on both sides.

The biggest problem seems to boil down to overwhelming the health system.
*That* is the real issue, I believe.

BTW, I received my certificate for being fully vaccinated, yesterday. :thumright:

"My life, my choice." 8)

Good for you getting shot... I mean vaccinated.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2021, 8:03 pm

Pepe wrote:

"My life, my choice." 8)

Thank you for choosing wisely and helping protect your community.

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2021, 8:10 am

DW_a_mom wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:

In the same exposure, the vaccinated are less likely to end up carrying any load at all, and when they do it is for a shorter time. All told I believe the vaccinated are only 25% as likely to carry or transmit than the un-vaccinated. Its a significant difference.

That makes no sense.
How does the "vaccine" change the way the virus behaves? Real vaccines protect the vaccinated against the disease not the unvaccinated.