One Woman’s crusade to change the default wake word on Amaon

Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Should Amazin change the default wake word?
Poll ended at 14 Aug 2021, 3:01 am
Yes 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
No 73%  73%  [ 8 ]
Maybe 9%  9%  [ 1 ]
I’m indifferent 9%  9%  [ 1 ]
I have some other opinion in the comments below 9%  9%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 11

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2021, 8:02 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I don't really understand this thread. I don't know what a "default wake word on Amazon" is?

My cousin's daughter is named Alexa. She was born in 1996. What does this have to do with Amazon? Why would someone bully her for being named Alexa? :scratch:

Also I don't understand the significance or problem of the name Carly. I know quite a few women named Carly including of course Carly Simon. I'm not sure why that's a problem name either, or what "iCarly" is.

Did you ever watch Star Trek? To alert the computer that they wanted it to do something they would say, "Computer" and then issue a command.

Alexa is Amazon's smart speaker which is connected to the internet. If you want it to do something like play music you say, "Alexa," to alert it that you are going to issue a command. So, "Alex, play Queen Bohemian Rhapsody" would tell it to play the song.

iCarly was a TV show. I'm too old to have watched it. That's not the same at all. Who doesn't want to be a popular teen girl over a robot slave?

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2021, 8:11 am

hurtloam wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
I don't really understand this thread. I don't know what a "default wake word on Amazon" is?

My cousin's daughter is named Alexa. She was born in 1996. What does this have to do with Amazon? Why would someone bully her for being named Alexa? :scratch:

Also I don't understand the significance or problem of the name Carly. I know quite a few women named Carly including of course Carly Simon. I'm not sure why that's a problem name either, or what "iCarly" is.

Did you ever watch Star Trek? To alert the computer that they wanted it to do something they would say, "Computer" and then issue a command.

Alexa is Amazon's smart speaker which is connected to the internet. If you want it to do something like play music you say, "Alexa," to alert it that you are going to issue a command. So, "Alex, play Queen Bohemian Rhapsody" would tell it to play the song.

iCarly was a TV show. I'm too old to have watched it. That's not the same at all. Who doesn't want to be a popular teen girl over a robot slave?

Thanks. Nope, I've never seen Star Trek. I've heard of Siri but not Alexa, and definitely not iCarly.

To me Carly means Carly Simon. :heart:

Come to think of it I also have a neighbour named Carly. She's likely about 30-35.

Dylanperr
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2021, 2:51 pm

Why would she spend all that time to change one word at amazon. Amazon needs something to call its device.

blackicmenace
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2021, 3:03 pm

hurtloam wrote:
Nick. I. Adding that your real name is Nicholas, shortened to Nick. You have a normal name. You have no idea what it's like to have a weird name or a name that can be twisted against you.

A name is a large part of your identity. It's traumatic to change your name. It's who you are.

I went by a shortened name for years, but then decided, I don't care what people think of name, the can call me the full shebang. ie I went by Annie for years, but decided to go by Anastasia even if it is a mouthful.

You don't know what it's like to have people tell you "your name is wrong, I'm gonna call you something else."

Saying she should change her name is so unempathetic.

Anastasia is a beautiful name. Just one persons opinion, even if you may not care.