Veteran

24 Jul 2021, 9:56 am

A hit was put out on Craigslist.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mystat ... death/amp/

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2021, 10:36 am

It says it is unavailable to be viewed in my country. Was the peacock attacking people and that is why it has been killed?

Who actually is Craig? I have heard of his list before but I don't know anything about him or his list.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2021, 11:48 am

HUMBOLDT COUNTY, Calif. (WTVO) — A peacock which visited a neighborhood in California for the last six years was gunned down recently after a Craigslist post called for a hit on the bird.

According to the Los Angeles Times, the post went up on June 13th, two weeks before the bird – known as Mr. P or Azul – was apparently killed.

“It’s really sad because he probably suffered for at least two or three hours before he died, possibly more,” resident Melissa Glass told the outlet. “One of the neighbor’s daughters had actually recalled seeing a Craigslist ad in search of a peacock assassin.”
The June 13th ad appeared with the title “Someone to get rid of a peacock,” according to the Lost Coast Outpost.

The unidentified author said the bird had been waking him at dawn. “The bird came here about 4 months ago, no one knows from where, and no one here owns it,” the post said.

“Please contact me so we can form a strategy to eliminate this bird, and also to agree on how much you will be compensated,” the ad read.

Glass said one of the neighbors found the peacock’s body in her yard early Wednesday morning.
Her husband, Mike, said he went over and inspected the area, finding a large amount of blood on the roof and on the ground where the animal fell.

He also reportedly found an entry wound but no exit wound.

The Glass’ said a neighbor had come to them prior to the appearance of the Craigslist post (which has since been deleted), asking them to relocate the peacock. They said no, but offered alternative solutions, which the man declined, according to the Outpost.

Peacocks are not protected by California’s Fish and Game laws, and the agency told the Times the incident does not meet the criteria of a poaching incident.

“A potential suspect has been identified by deputies and a search warrant was served at a residence on Hewitt Road in relation to the investigation,” a spokesperson for the Humboldt County Sheriff’s Office said in a statement. “No arrests have been made at this time. The crimes currently being investigated are animal cruelty and conspiracy to commit a crime.“

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2021, 1:24 pm

This seems like an incident that belongs in an over the top comedy than real life.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2021, 2:12 pm

They have a suspect.
https://lostcoastoutpost.com/2021/jul/7 ... nection-p/

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2021, 3:20 pm

Nades wrote:
This seems like an incident that belongs in an over the top comedy than real life.

Yeah. It sounds like an old Stan Freberg record. :D

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2021, 3:47 pm

Nades wrote:

It's Always Sunny In Humboldt County?

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2021, 5:55 pm

We used to have a hundred peacocks a couple blocks away but the jerk that owns the house where their roosting tree was chopped the ~100+ year old tree down and they've mostly relocated farther away or been captured by the city. Neighbourhood was definitely very divided over it - most of us loved the peacocks everywhere - it was special.. but that homeowner and one or two others complained about having to clean bird crap off their houses. (Then why buy the house with the peacock tree??)

Mountain Goat wrote:
It says it is unavailable to be viewed in my country. Was the peacock attacking people and that is why it has been killed?

Who actually is Craig? I have heard of his list before but I don't know anything about him or his list.

Must be the first name of the guy who started craiglist - a classifieds ad site to buy and sell stuff or post jobs etc.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2021, 6:07 pm

Yes. Here in the states we have "Craig's list" and "Angie's List" on the web for services.

No one even is aware of who Craig nor Angie actually are.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2021, 9:12 pm

Act of animal cruelty. I hope the police are smart enough to investigate the neighbors.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2021, 9:26 pm

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2021, 9:37 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Act of animal cruelty. I hope the police are smart enough to investigate the neighbors.

People wouldn't complain if it wasn't an exotic and charismatic species. If it were a more mundane, local species I'm not sure the outcry would be the same.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2021, 9:47 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

People wouldn't complain if it wasn't an exotic and charismatic species. If it were a more mundane, local species I'm not sure the outcry would be the same.

Sadly, I think you're right.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2021, 9:55 pm

Well that's messed up, poor peacock.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2021, 9:57 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Well I would complain...but you're probably right about a lot of people. For one even if it were a more local species still seems messed up, but also its probably best if people aren't shooting animals in residential areas seems dangerous for people who live there to.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2021, 10:25 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Well I would complain...but you're probably right about a lot of people. For one even if it were a more local species still seems messed up, but also its probably best if people aren't shooting animals in residential areas seems dangerous for people who live there to.

It depends to some extent on what exactly you're shooting. There's a lot of pretty wimpy peashooter guns that are suitable for 'varmint control' and peacocks aren't exactly shy around people so it's not like it would likely be a difficult shot, it wouldn't be sporting like shooting a turkey, but that means the person who did it was a lot less likely to miss or place anyone at significant risk.

Unlike the people who knew the bird I'm not attached so I don't view it much worse than any other man shoots bird instances. As a general statement on those I hope they pass quickly for the bird, but I don't know why this bird's life matters more just because he had friends but that might just be because I largely lack in that department but it's odd how in a community where that trait is common (not having many friends) that we'd let having human friends factor into our sentimentality on this type of story which is basically our judgment of what a life is worth.

Some f*****g bird got more attention for it's passing than any of us are likely to ever see and I'm supposed to feel bad for it? No, I care about people and the cranky neighbour who we'll find out in 6 weeks is autistic and one of us and who shot it/had it shot because they had lost their mind over the thing disrupting their routine (sarcasm unless it's an accurate prediction in which case I totally meant it :lol: :lol: ).

If the neighbours are really grieving let them have a funeral and mourn their loss and shame the perps in the process but I'm not sure this is more than local news.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う