Page 2 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

old_comedywriter
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2021, 11:08 pm

I thought this was going to be a metaphor for the demise of NBC's streaming service.

StrayCat81
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Jul 2021, 11:39 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
just because he had friends

Because that's how human social dynamics work? What's so hard to understand?

Your 'life worthiness' is proportional to your social status, and social status strongly depends on who you know and who backs you up. If nobody cares about you, then your life is bascialy worthless according to humans, and they only let you live because civilization gives some kind of protection to everyone who manages to look vaguely human... :3

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2021, 11:43 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Act of animal cruelty. I hope the police are smart enough to investigate the neighbors.

People wouldn't complain if it wasn't an exotic and charismatic species. If it were a more mundane, local species I'm not sure the outcry would be the same.

Well I would complain...but you're probably right about a lot of people. For one even if it were a more local species still seems messed up, but also its probably best if people aren't shooting animals in residential areas seems dangerous for people who live there to.

It depends to some extent on what exactly you're shooting. There's a lot of pretty wimpy peashooter guns that are suitable for 'varmint control' and peacocks aren't exactly shy around people so it's not like it would likely be a difficult shot, it wouldn't be sporting like shooting a turkey, but that means the person who did it was a lot less likely to miss or place anyone at significant risk.

Unlike the people who knew the bird I'm not attached so I don't view it much worse than any other man shoots bird instances. As a general statement on those I hope they pass quickly for the bird, but I don't know why this bird's life matters more just because he had friends but that might just be because I largely lack in that department but it's odd how in a community where that trait is common (not having many friends) that we'd let having human friends factor into our sentimentality on this type of story which is basically our judgment of what a life is worth.

Some f*****g bird got more attention for it's passing than any of us are likely to ever see and I'm supposed to feel bad for it? No, I care about people and the cranky neighbour who we'll find out in 6 weeks is autistic and one of us and who shot it/had it shot because they had lost their mind over the thing disrupting their routine (sarcasm unless it's an accurate prediction in which case I totally meant it :lol: :lol: ).

If the neighbours are really grieving let them have a funeral and mourn their loss and shame the perps in the process but I'm not sure this is more than local news.

Well I don't like people killing things just because they are a nuisance, like I guess from my perspective people can be just as much of a nuisance as various critters. but I can't just go out and kill people I find to be annoying...I have to learn to tolerate them as existing even if they are annoying. I couldn't even kill a nuisience mud-dauber that was hanging around my porch, I guess I got tempted when it kept persisting...but in the end I just put a peppermint tea bag where it was trying to build and it didn't come back after that.

But yeah I cannot say this is a bigger tragedy than a person getting killed, but it still makes me sad, peacocks are kind of cool and it seems mean to shoot one just because,it was annoying on some mornings. Crows and Blue Jays where I live are annoying in the morning...but I'd never think to try and go out and kill one.

Lol of course my boyfriends job though is to basically kill bugs that harm trees, by spraying with insecticides. And like well if he had killed the mud dauber and then learned what it was he probably would not have been as bothered as I would have been if I had killed it and then had looked up it was a harmless to humans pollinator.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2021, 1:24 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
Well I don't like people killing things just because they are a nuisance, like I guess from my perspective people can be just as much of a nuisance as various critters. but I can't just go out and kill people I find to be annoying...I have to learn to tolerate them as existing even if they are annoying. I couldn't even kill a nuisience mud-dauber that was hanging around my porch, I guess I got tempted when it kept persisting...but in the end I just put a peppermint tea bag where it was trying to build and it didn't come back after that.

But yeah I cannot say this is a bigger tragedy than a person getting killed, but it still makes me sad, peacocks are kind of cool and it seems mean to shoot one just because,it was annoying on some mornings. Crows and Blue Jays where I live are annoying in the morning...but I'd never think to try and go out and kill one.

Lol of course my boyfriends job though is to basically kill bugs that harm trees, by spraying with insecticides. And like well if he had killed the mud dauber and then learned what it was he probably would not have been as bothered as I would have been if I had killed it and then had looked up it was a harmless to humans pollinator.

I killed something because it was being a nuisance less than a few hours ago. A few hours before that I invested effort saving a spider that was on a hot pot lid as I was cooking, but I felt bad because I watched it struggle for a few minutes, the fly was bothering me as I cooked. I don't care that it's smart enough to recognize I'm hunting it, it annoyed me so sad day just like if I'm between a baby bear and it's mom the momma doesn't dwell on how ending me might not have been necessary.

I'd prefer the peacock have been relocated, but at the end of the day I don't blame someone for taking matters into their own hands if nothing is being done.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2021, 2:46 am

funeralxempire wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

I killed something because it was being a nuisance less than a few hours ago. A few hours before that I invested effort saving a spider that was on a hot pot lid as I was cooking, but I felt bad because I watched it struggle for a few minutes, the fly was bothering me as I cooked. I don't care that it's smart enough to recognize I'm hunting it, it annoyed me so sad day just like if I'm between a baby bear and it's mom the momma doesn't dwell on how ending me might not have been necessary.

I'd prefer the peacock have been relocated, but at the end of the day I don't blame someone for taking matters into their own hands if nothing is being done.

Well sounds like it was a friendly peacock, so not sure someone really needed to take it into their own hands to kill it...I just don't think shooting the bird needed to be done. If it was being a nuisance it could have been relocated.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2021, 4:54 am

Someone's gotta tell the local realtor - stop letting the Janissaries in.

Sweetleaf wrote:
Well sounds like it was a friendly peacock, so not sure someone really needed to take it into their own hands to kill it...I just don't think shooting the bird needed to be done. If it was being a nuisance it could have been relocated.

The article made me wonder - do they have a local wildlife authority? Seems odd that a local had to put an add in Craigslist to have the bird removed.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2021, 6:02 am

Why would people kill something of beauty?

Says more of the depraved mind of gun carrying Americans than does about the poor peacock. RIP, you deserved better,

A simple call to the animal rescue people and Azul could have been placed in a zoological gardens, had lots of space to frolic around and met a girl peahen,

Sign of the times.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2021, 8:20 am

The bird had been in the neighborhood for around six years and nobody minded.There are animal relocation services which could have been used but since the majority of the people liked the bird it can’t be called a nuisance.Except to one hard hearted person.
It’s also not a good idea to shoot things in a residential neighborhood.They might have hit more than the bird.And they were a lousy shot and the bird lived for several hours after being shot.
What’s next? The neighbors annoying yapping dogs? The cat that poos in the garden?
The bird brought lots of joy to people in that area.So it deserves to be remembered.Maybe it brought more happiness to people than any of us have.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2021, 2:26 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Nades wrote:
This seems like an incident that belongs in an over the top comedy than real life.

Yeah. It sounds like an old Stan Freberg record. :D

Craigslist should be used for much more idiotic and innocuous stuff. Might make a post asking someone to replant my neighbours tomatoes with potatoes to mess with their head.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2021, 2:46 pm

What happened to The Peacock was business, nothing personal.  I am sure that whoever put out the contract, and whomever whacked the bird have the greatest respect for all birdkind; but that bird, his behavior was disrespectful to the community.  So you must understand why the contract had to put out on him.  It was not personal; it was strictly business.

Capisce?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Last edited by Fnord on 27 Jul 2021, 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2021, 3:04 pm

Fnord wrote:
What happened to The Peacock was business, nothing personal.  I am sure that whoever put out the contract has the greatest respect for all birdkind; but that bird, his behavior was disrespectful to the community.  So you must understand why the contract was put out on him.  It was not personal; it was strictly business.

Capisce?

Apparently it was also an informant and snitch.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2021, 3:06 pm

Nades wrote:
Fnord wrote:
What happened to The Peacock was business, nothing personal.  I am sure that whoever put out the contract has the greatest respect for all birdkind; but that bird, his behavior was disrespectful to the community.  So you must understand why the contract was put out on him.  It was not personal; it was strictly business.

Capisce?
Apparently it was also an informant and snitch.
So?  Let the family of Azul The Peacock deal with it.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2021, 3:46 pm

Craigslist has been a means for advertising prostitution and sex trafficking since it's beginning. Doesn't surprise me it's branched off to hiring hits on animals.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2021, 3:58 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Craigslist has been a means for advertising prostitution and sex trafficking since it's beginning. Doesn't surprise me it's branched off to hiring hits on animals.
Do you think that the local "Godfather" would endorse such a hit, instead?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2021, 4:08 pm

Fnord wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Do you think that the local "Godfather" would endorse such a hit, instead?

But of course! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2021, 7:25 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Why would people kill something of beauty?

Says more of the depraved mind of gun carrying Americans than does about the poor peacock. RIP, you deserved better,

A simple call to the animal rescue people and Azul could have been placed in a zoological gardens, had lots of space to frolic around and met a girl peahen,

Sign of the times.

It’s true a depraved American used a gun, our weapon of choice.
An Australian would have scaled the roof, punched out the bird ,plucked it, tossed it on the barbie ,then swilled a beer (or several )while it was roasting ,all in the homeowners backyard.