Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2021, 11:15 am

I have specialized in birds and nature so much that it would be hard for me to do anything else as a job... But I am failing to find something in this field I can do... So it has basically destroyed me...

I went to a doctor and had a physical therapist evaluate me recently to see if there was anything that could be done about my muscle weakness and my inability to walk long distances or fast, etc... since I don't have problems doing day to day activities they concluded I don't need physical therapy at all.

I keep asking my mental health team for help with meltdowns, which just keep occuring, and they just basically said I need more things to do, to get a job. But nobody in this tiny town will hire me, and I don't have a car to get a job in a nearby town, they're like "why don't you move to a bigger city?" But well how would I do that? How would I get a job if I keep losing them due to stress and meltdowns?

I mean to get back to the point, if I would have had a special interest in something that was like sit down or something, this wouldn't have happened... I mean people tell me stuff like "birds should be just a hobby, do something else" ugh I wish I knew what...

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2021, 12:37 pm

Well...there IS such a thing as ornithology.

So in theory you could go back to school, major in biology, and then go to grad school, and then get an advanced degree in studying birds, and turn the passion into a career (or it could lead into some related nature study career).

But if you're not able to put in that much time in school - work as a park ranger? Or in a Petco store?

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2021, 1:42 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Well...there IS such a thing as ornithology.

So in theory you could go back to school, major in biology, and then go to grad school, and then get an advanced degree in studying birds, and turn the passion into a career (or it could lead into some related nature study career).

But if you're not able to put in that much time in school - work as a park ranger? Or in a Petco store?

I already have a bachelor's in Zoology... But I can't do the field work necessary anymore!

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2021, 1:55 pm

Not a bad idea…working in a pet store.

Or as an assistant to a veterinarian.