Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2021, 1:36 pm

^^ Anything to do with health may be 100% placebo, and most derive some of their benefit from that effect.

I should clarify that Rolls-Royce and Apple both began as technical+sales partnerships, but then lost their technical advantage. Rolls-Royce went bankrupt for neglecting the low toughness of carbon fiber turbine blades in development, and had to drag a lot of talent out of retirement to recover. Apple sells overpriced, low-quality products now, turning record profits.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2021, 1:51 pm

Dear_one wrote:
^^ Anything to do with health may be 100% placebo, and most derive some of their benefit from that effect.

I should clarify that Rolls-Royce and Apple both began as technical+sales partnerships, but then lost their technical advantage. Rolls-Royce went bankrupt for neglecting the low toughness of carbon fiber turbine blades in development, and had to drag a lot of talent out of retirement to recover. Apple sells overpriced, low-quality products now, turning record profits.

Yes the placebo effect might be helpful in some cases, and if it can compete against the risks of medication then that would be another benefit. Just sad that individuals manage to get so much money off people by selling at an inflated price. Placebos are usually extremely cheap to produce.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2021, 2:56 pm

ToughDiamond wrote:
[continued.......thanks a bunch, Cloudflare :evil: ]

Sadly I'm not good at emotional tricks, so I just try to live in hope that the real world isn't quite such a gender-binary place and that the situation isn't quite that black-and-white.

I wish the popular descriptions of the binary gender roles had more to say about being male than macho. It is a very long time since I've heard about honour, generosity, or self-sacrifice except from a few edgy comedians.

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2021, 4:57 pm

To Read between the lines in order to "separate the wheat from the chafe" or "the signal from the noise."