Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Harry Haller
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Jul 2021, 12:01 pm

ToughDiamond wrote:
It makes me aware of a big distance between us and I often feel like a fake for not confronting them so that they would know me as I am.

Having a brain and actually using it (i.e. exercising independent thought) can be pretty lonely.

Don't waste time "confronting" and offering independently verifiable fact, logic/rational thought.
Those operating by Belief, are operating independently of fact and reason.

In reality, for these Believers, facts often contradict Belief, and so rather than reject Belief, facts are assiduously avoided and rejected at all cost.

Remember, those who navigate life with Belief, are the most dangerous.
Consider history.

Maintaining a low profile when surrounded by these is Wisdom.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2021, 1:58 pm

Harry Haller wrote:
Having a brain and actually using it (i.e. exercising independent thought) can be pretty lonely.

Don't waste time "confronting" and offering independently verifiable fact, logic/rational thought.
Those operating by Belief, are operating independently of fact and reason.

In reality, for these Believers, facts often contradict Belief, and so rather than reject Belief, facts are assiduously avoided and rejected at all cost.

Remember, those who navigate life with Belief, are the most dangerous.
Consider history.

Maintaining a low profile when surrounded by these is Wisdom.

Indeed, I'm well aware that it would likely do no good to confront them. Just that the alternative isn't a good place to be either. And sometimes circumstances unmask me. I can't shield from Covid for months without people noticing that there must be a difference between their idea of the pandemic and mine. What was I supposed to say when somebody asked me what church I went to? What would they think if one of them lived nearby and could plainly see that I never go to church?

It's very different from where I was living before. The only religious people I knew were immigrants, who presumably appreciated that they were in a rather secular region. And as a rule people took the pandemic seriously. Political views were at worst centre-left. When I aired my views on religion, politics or public health, they were not controversial.

Not that it matters much from day to day. I rarely see people, apart from my wife who doesn't hold the views of the locals either.

Harry Haller
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Jul 2021, 4:32 pm

ToughDiamond wrote:
Not that it matters much from day to day.

Psychological toughness have ye - but even armored with that, it does matter.
Surrounded on all sides as is the case, it is not far from a nightmare scenario as confronted Winston in Orwell's 1984.
Have been there so know of what ye speak, bro.

You are living in 2021.
Many surrounding you are living in 1021.

And it makes a difference.

Best of luck there

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2021, 6:23 pm

Harry Haller wrote:
ToughDiamond wrote:
Not that it matters much from day to day.

Psychological toughness have ye - but even armored with that, it does matter.
Surrounded on all sides as is the case, it is not far from a nightmare scenario as confronted Winston in Orwell's 1984.
Have been there so know of what ye speak, bro.

You are living in 2021.
Many surrounding you are living in 1021.

And it makes a difference.

Best of luck there

Thanks, I'll do my best.

AngelL
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Jul 2021, 9:40 pm

If I can be around a person and my energy isn't drained or, it is actually boosted - they are friend material. If my energy is drained, they're not.

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2021, 2:36 pm

Personally, I feel it is favorable for thoughtful people to have some understanding of High Functioning Autism (HFA) with adults. Too much understanding of (HFA) might actually be unfavorable (yes, you read this correctly).

Such thoughtful people (I sense people with HFA who are NT-like best "fit the bill") are all too elusive to find, and meet.

Any such people active here on WP?