Yes.
Science is good.
Science is also bad.
Yes, Science *IS* good or bad.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2021, 9:18 pm

Science isn't bad. But people have used science to invent means to hurt other people. Blame people for being bad, not science.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2021, 8:28 am

Trogluddite wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:
When we look at science we...

Oy! Less of this "we" and "they" all over the place - you'd better not be including me in that "we", or I'll be very cross! :wink:

Most of your arguments simply don't stand up to scrutiny. Your "we" and "they" are most likely a small minority of extremists, the kind of pro-science people who maybe take their every idea from self-important "fundamentalist atheist" humbugs, but you tar the rest of us with the same brush. My experience is that most scientists, and most people who believe in science, have no problem admitting that nasty people who lust for fame, power, or wealth will use scientific discoveries to create destructive tools or to justify immoral acts. For example, many scientists involved in the Manhatten project later became activists in the nuclear disarmament movement, and Orville Wright regretted that airplanes, which he had hoped would bring about world peace, got used for dropping bombs on people (it's worth noting, however, that the proportion of humans killed by other humans is actually at its lowest level in the entire existence of humanity, so far as historical and archaeological evidence can tell).

A great many scientists and believers in science also profess religious faith, and don't see any contradiction in having a foot in both camps. And the canon of most major world religions is not in conflict with science either. For example: most Christian denominations are officially cool with the idea of a billions-of-years old universe which began at the big bang - they reason that the big bang was God saying "let there be light", and the difference between days and billions of years is meaningless to such a powerful being, but the Bible had to use metaphors that mere humans would understand easily (taking every word of scripture literally is the strict meaning of the word "fundamentalist", and those tend to be the religious people whom even other religious people think are a bit dodgy).

It is also pretty hard to deny that religion has been used to justify many immoral acts and still is. For our entire lifetime, tensions between Christians, Jews, and Shia/Sunni Muslims have been exploited by powerful people to ensure a steady supply of people willing to kill others across the whole Middle East, and in isolated terrorist acts elsewhere. But, just as for science, this isn't because religion is inherently evil, it's because the same nasty, greedy people who use science unethically will also twist the words of religious texts so that they appear to support their perverted causes.

In fact, you are doing something similar yourself - your post seems to insist that people make a black-and-white choice between science or religion, and must choose to fight for one side and demean the other. That's exactly the kind of thing which politicians do to stoke up wars!* In reality, there is no reason to make any such stark choice, we can take the best from both and reject the worst from both, or at least hold to our own beliefs without having to devalue the lives of people who's beliefs are different but benign. We should condemn immoral acts, for sure, but to say that "science" is to blame for them makes no more sense than saying that "numbers", "words", or "atoms" are to blame - it is just a kind of knowledge, just as scripture is a kind of knowledge.

[*: Of course, I don't really think you're trying to start a fight, MG! - and it is a good idea to talk about these things that that "opposing" sides can understand each other better and we can work together to solve the world's problems.]

Mountain Goat wrote:
...the most detructive force to man that has ever been known is...

...God! He drowned all of the people and most of the animals, all except for Noah's family and menagerie, didn't He? (OK, I realise I'm being a bit cheeky now, and I'll shut up! :wink: )

Trog. You are missing a bit of information which I can't disclose on this thread.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2021, 9:14 am

Science is knowledge.How one uses that knowledge is the determining factor on what’s good or evil.It can save lives or destroy lives.

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2021, 9:42 am

Quote:
Trog. You are missing a bit of information which I can't disclose on this thread

Aaah, saying different things in public than in private. My apologies, you must be a shrewder politician than I gave you credit for! :lol: :heart:

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2021, 10:04 am

Trogluddite wrote:
Quote:
Trog. You are missing a bit of information which I can't disclose on this thread

Aaah, saying different things in public than in private. My apologies, you must be a shrewder politician than I gave you credit for! :lol: :heart:

I could be a politician as long as I did not have to deal with the public. :D

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

27 Jul 2021, 10:10 am

Mountain Goat wrote:
Trog. You are missing a bit of information which I can't disclose on this thread.

This attitude does not help create healthy, constructive debate :(

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2021, 10:43 am

magz wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:

This attitude does not help create healthy, constructive debate :(

No worries. I will keep quiet.

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2021, 11:55 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:
I maybe wrong in my recollection of the figures by a little as I do not know where I saw the figures as it is a while back, but I was puzzled and a bit shocked to see the White House in the lead!

What have you been smoking?

How does "the White House" cause pollution?

The White House doesnt have smoke stacks.

Does that house at Number Ten Downing Street (where your prime ministers live) "cause pollution", and do so a bigger scale than does every other industry in Britain?

More likely the "White House" is used as a substitute for the "US Federal Government".

If so, it makes sense.

In fact, the US department of Defense alone (with its insatiable demand for oil to fuel its gadzillions of tanks, ships and air planes) is the single largest emitter of greenhouse gases in the world.
https://watson.brown.edu/costsofwar/fil ... 0Final.pdf

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2021, 12:32 pm

GGPViper wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:
I maybe wrong in my recollection of the figures by a little as I do not know where I saw the figures as it is a while back, but I was puzzled and a bit shocked to see the White House in the lead!

What have you been smoking?

How does "the White House" cause pollution?

The White House doesnt have smoke stacks.

Does that house at Number Ten Downing Street (where your prime ministers live) "cause pollution", and do so a bigger scale than does every other industry in Britain?

More likely the "White House" is used as a substitute for the "US Federal Government".

If so, it makes sense.

In fact, the US department of Defense alone (with its insatiable demand for oil to fuel its gadzillions of tanks, ships and air planes) is the single largest emitter of greenhouse gases in the world.
https://watson.brown.edu/costsofwar/fil ... 0Final.pdf

Well... I cut that part out of my original reply. Decided to stick to one point at a time.

I said "If by 'the White House' you mean 'the whole executive branch of the US Government' then - yes- the executive branch pollutes more than does congress, and more than does the Supreme Court because the Departments of govt are all under the executive branch...including Defense...which does indeed pollute a lot (with all of the self propelled artillery pieces, tanks, aircraft and war ships). Though even the armed services combined...how do they compare to civilian industries in pollution? I dunno.

The military certainly does burn up a lot of oil...in order to perform its main task...which is...defending our foreign sources of oil. Lol!

Interesting article. I had heard stories on NPR about how the DOD was the practically only part of the Trump US government that was NOT in climate denial. And was preparing for missions created by world upheavels caused by future global warming.

Last edited by naturalplastic on 27 Jul 2021, 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2021, 12:39 pm

There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.

~ Shakespeare

That's my philosophical ethos, having studied Ethics and Morality extensively.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2021, 1:08 pm

Who were these people of which you speak who were "killed by science" anyway?

How do you define a person's death as being 'caused by science' anyway?

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2021, 4:13 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:

~ Shakespeare

I've thought that for decades, didn't know Shakespeare had beaten me to the punch. To me it was like an extension of "beauty is in the eye of the beholder." I've also thought for a long time that what a person calls "good" is what they personally happen to like or approve of, while what they call "bad" or "evil" is what they dislike, etc. For a time I was tempted to correct people who used the terms "good" and "bad," but it didn't go down well, so these days I usually just assume they're using it as shorthand for the more objective statements. Even so, I'd still prefer people to just say what they like and dislike, because otherwise I see a risk of their failing to own their preferences and fobbing off the responsibility for their reactions completely onto the object of those reactions. The same notion of ownership is seen by some thinkers as being useful in conflict resolution.

Anyway, I know what the OP means - does science benefit or harm the human race? Clearly it's been known to do both. Science and technology give "us" power and control, to a degree, over aspects of the world. You will probably hate some of the results and like others. Personally I don't regret studying science or becoming a scientist. I particularly liked the results of acquiring the skill of clear, critical thinking and the power I was able to wield over the things around me.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2021, 8:54 pm

ToughDiamond wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:

~ Shakespeare

I've thought that for decades, didn't know Shakespeare had beaten me to the punch. To me it was like an extension of "beauty is in the eye of the beholder." I've also thought for a long time that what a person calls "good" is what they personally happen to like or approve of, while what they call "bad" or "evil" is what they dislike, etc. For a time I was tempted to correct people who used the terms "good" and "bad," but it didn't go down well, so these days I usually just assume they're using it as shorthand for the more objective statements. Even so, I'd still prefer people to just say what they like and dislike, because otherwise I see a risk of their failing to own their preferences and fobbing off the responsibility for their reactions completely onto the object of those reactions. The same notion of ownership is seen by some thinkers as being useful in conflict resolution.

Anyway, I know what the OP means - does science benefit or harm the human race? Clearly it's been known to do both. Science and technology give "us" power and control, to a degree, over aspects of the world. You will probably hate some of the results and like others. Personally I don't regret studying science or becoming a scientist. I particularly liked the results of acquiring the skill of clear, critical thinking and the power I was able to wield over the things around me.

I used to think more like this, but there was always something uncomfortable about thinking I had to approve of someone’s likes or dislikes just because they were preferences no more better or worse than my own preferences. I couldn’t wrap my brain around why it was people expected me to validate their preferences while they were unwilling to validate my own. But looking past the unfairness of it all, it didn’t even seem reasonable, either. I tend to look at good and evil in objective terms as much as possible. That which protects and promotes life is good, that which disrupts and destroys life is evil. Our sense of justice (feelings of fairness/unfairness) is built on how we feel certain things have impacted our lives for better or for worse. We feel negative emotions when we are mistreated because our lives have been assaulted in some way. Even if someone calls you ugly, it is an attack on your self-esteem, which in turn causes a person to question their own value and right to live. Even something like slander is essentially attempted murder in terms of its effect, the desire to protect one’s own value and life is what makes reactions to personal attacks so visceral.

The more I thought about it, I realized that it would actually be easier base my own assessments of good and evil on an objective rule rather than a preferential one. I know this means I’m expressing a preference for something myself, of course. But it’s easier to make moral and ethical judgments when the basis for those judgments is objective (that basis lies outside the individual and is not determined by the individual). Subjectivity and relativism do not allow for any similar moral judgment, hence why good and evil cannot be said to exist within this line of reasoning. Good and evil can only exist as long as things are objectively good or evil. And it is in everyone’s best interest to focus on what is objectively good rather than what is only good on a whim.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

28 Jul 2021, 7:07 am

Imagine a world without science:

- no agriculture
- no transport
- no medicine
- no electricity
- no information technology
- no architecture
- no sanitation
- no metallurgy

We would live in caves, dedicating our whole lives to hunter-gatherer lifestyles. Our limited free time would be dedicated largely to sex. Preventable disease would be rife. Most children would die in infancy, and most adults would die before the age of 50.

Yes, sometimes people die in car accidents or medical accidents. Nuclear bombs are the result of science. But overall, the world is a much better place due to science.

The idea that COVID-19 is a bioweapon is of course absolutely bonkers.

I would politely suggest that if religious extremists want to make the case for religion, they should do so without attempting to denigrate science. That may be emotionally satisfying to them but it isn’t going to convince anyone else. Instead, try to identify any positives to your religion and highlight them.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2021, 8:33 am

The_Walrus wrote:
[...] try to identify any positives to your religion and highlight them.
This ↑

What has anyone's religion done to improve the human condition that did not involve the use of a scientific discovery?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.