Communicating pain and discomfort - sensory abnormality

Page 2 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2021, 4:38 pm

A_minor wrote:
I used to sprain my ankles a lot when I was young, but it never really hurt or bothered me. Also I was able to do weird things with my shoulder joints, so maybe I was just really flexible.

Oh yeah, I got that one too.

As I recall, I can dislocate my left shoulder at will. Let me just check... Yep, I did it several times while writing this post.... Probably not healthy to make it a habit, though.

Carpeta
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2021, 5:21 pm

I have read recently that hypermobile joints are associated with autism. You might be interested in reading about Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome (EDS).

RAADS-R: 122.0

Not a doctor.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2021, 6:13 pm

Hypo or hyper-sensitivity to pain are common in autism, as is hypo-sensitive interoception. It's part of the sensory processing disorder many of us have.

My interoception was so weak, I worked with an occupational therapist to learn basics like knowing when I was hungry or full, when I was tired or wakeful, knowing when to go to the loo, distinguishing flavours and tastes (salty / sweet / bitter), and knowing when I'm hot or cold so that I dress appropriately.

I've always been hypo-sensitive to pain unless it's dental pain or a migraine. Surgery and broken bones haven't caused me much discomfort except if I get an infection and fever.

It's very hard to get proper medical care without knowing our own bodies or our sensations, and being able to communicate changes in real time as needed.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2021, 8:00 pm

this is a very enlightening thread to me , can almost identify in one way or another with almost every single posting here. Was taught to not complain when little so ,ifigured noone cared to hear about it.
Have broken a clavicle when much younger , in a bicycle crash . Rode home. Mom did not care to take me to the hospital . Many years after in a second motorcycle crash had broken left leg and arm
Had to thinkwhy i was not feeling any pain . Or soreness. So while ilaid in the road . decided , i better visually examine myself. Before trying to move myself. Then visual saw my limbs were not in a spropriate position for how they normally would be. 5 hours later after being at the hospital for a while , i decided that i probably needed pain killers. Whereas then i decided to ask for them.
About a year ago i realized the pain from a dental injection to numb the teeth was more painful than having a filling drilled. Unless it is a root canal . Then i use common sense and suffer the injection.
Thank you for all these postings , i feel much less weird now. :oops:

where ever you go ,there you are

A_minor
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Jul 2021, 4:17 pm

Carpeta wrote:
I have read recently that hypermobile joints are associated with autism. You might be interested in reading about Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome (EDS).

Interesting read, indeed. From spectrumnews.org:

"Ehlers-Danlos syndrome and related conditions are thought to stem from problems with the formation and repair of collagen, the glue that holds the body together."

"The literal and figurative connection between the two conditions may lie in collagen.
Collagen has an important role in the developing brain. It is abundant in the membrane enveloping the brain and spinal cord. In a typical embryo, radial glia cells — a form of neural progenitor cell — attach to the membrane like a scaffold. If the cells cannot attach properly because of problems with collagen, that could disrupt brain development. This is just a hypothesis, however."

A bit far-fetched maybe, or maybe not.

I'm curious to know what we'll know about autism in, say, 10 years, and what the DSM will have to say about it then.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2021, 4:34 pm

This entire thread has given me a enlightenment as to my own physical situations
i posted here yesterday quite a bit more indepth , and noticed my previous
posting has disappeared. With no explanation .

A_minor
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Jul 2021, 4:45 pm

Jakki wrote:

I can still see it just fine:

Jakki wrote:
this is a very enlightening thread to me , can almost identify in one way or another with almost every single posting here. Was taught to not complain when little so ,ifigured noone cared to hear about it.
Have broken a clavicle when much younger , in a bicycle crash . Rode home. Mom did not care to take me to the hospital . Many years after in a second motorcycle crash had broken left leg and arm
Had to thinkwhy i was not feeling any pain . Or soreness. So while ilaid in the road . decided , i better visually examine myself. Before trying to move myself. Then visual saw my limbs were not in a spropriate position for how they normally would be. 5 hours later after being at the hospital for a while , i decided that i probably needed pain killers. Whereas then i decided to ask for them.
About a year ago i realized the pain from a dental injection to numb the teeth was more painful than having a filling drilled. Unless it is a root canal . Then i use common sense and suffer the injection.
Thank you for all these postings , i feel much less weird now.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2021, 6:53 pm

Thank you , think my WP on the post i wanted to look at was out of date. :roll:

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2021, 11:49 pm

Jakki wrote:
This entire thread has given me a enlightenment as to my own physical situations

Threads and posts disappears on random to me as well.

I can still see the post you're referring though.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2021, 12:25 am

I just realised I've had a UTI for about two months.

That's how bad my interoception is. I didn't have a clue.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2021, 11:03 am

usually takes me a few weeks before i realize about my uti s are creating problems. only recently
have been able to recognize them.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2021, 4:29 pm

Jakki wrote:
usually takes me a few weeks before i realize about my uti s are creating problems. only recently
have been able to recognize them.

Amazon sells home testing kits now. Woot! My doctor would prescribe over the phone without a test (because of Covid), but this way I don't even have to wait to talk to her. I have meds on hand and I can send her a photo of the test strip later if she wants it. It's also a good way to know if your meds have worked, when you're finishing the dose.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2021, 8:17 pm

this is kinda fantastic ,,, a home test kit. much less from Amazon yahooo.. wish more of my doctors had 21 st century knowledge .