Has anyone ever suggested you have might have autism on -

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2021, 7:01 pm

- another forum?

I'm just curious. Personally, yes. On an forum for LGBT related issues. I posted on a general 'What's on your mind?' thread and someone asked me if I'd ever been screened for autism. In the original post, I mentioned that when I get overwhelmed sometimes my temperature rises and I want to yell at people. The post was just a general musing about how adults are expected to show emotion. I also mentioned a weighted blanket and maybe wanting to be weighed down on my front but not my sides.

This post caught the attention of another poster, so we had a brief conversation about it which ended up being a conversation about the diagnostic criteria being biased in favour of young boys. I essentially explained that I've been down this rabbit hole before, and would rather not go down the route of diagnosis. That I view myself as being in the BAP category or borderline, and that at this stage in my life there wouldn't be much point in having a label professionally in my situation.

Further, this wasn't the only time something like this happened - I remember posting in a thread there that was on the subject of autism and I talked about my potential suspicions. The OP of that thread started asking me if I'd ever looked into ADHD because I reminded her of a friend with ADHD and what I was describing apparently sounds like it.

My recommendation on Tiktok are also Autism and ADHD related, and YouTube recently recommended me a video called "Signs you do not have ADHD".

Anyway, how about you?

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2021, 7:05 pm

Actually yes, on another forum several years ago before I knew anything about autism.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2021, 11:04 pm

I suggested that to another person on a website once.

A young lady who has stereotypical female aspie obsessions like cosplay, and had other little red flags here and there. So I asked her in private "are you an aspie...I mean...have aspergers?". She was a bit crestfallen and said "I thought I did a good job of covering it up, but yes.." but then she warmed up and we kinda bonded.

Something Profound
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Jul 2021, 11:31 am

Yes, but not on good terms. It was used as an insult to attempt to demean me.

This is because I am very... methodical in my argumentative discourse. I use a formula for discussion that I stick to very strictly. It works rather well for me actually (But I can't say it would work for anyone else), but because I had such a strict method of discourse, and in this one instance it showed or was made obvious, the person had a retort something like, "What are you, autistic or something."

It was probably nastier than that, but I will refrain from being too direct.

That alone did not incline me to consider whether I may be on the spectrum or not. But I responded with something akin to, "That's a pretty obvious deflection, but even if I were that doesn't make your argument any less obnoxious." I seem to recall it going on for a bit with several others bashing them for being nasty about Autism (as well as being wrong on whatever the issue it was we were discussing...I want to say it was politics, because I tend to get the nastiest responses in that arena).

Again, not advised to engage in that sort of discussion.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2021, 11:37 am

I've had autistic people on a site I've been using follow me, as they've assumed that due to my posts I'm also autistic. They're not wrong. lmao