Is this a prejudice that most men have faced at some point?

Page 4 of 5 [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2021, 6:04 am

XFilesGeek wrote:
young women want to date young men, not dudes with beer guts, thinning hair, and glasses.

Glasses, beer gut and no hair.... next

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2021, 8:47 am

Soooo....two examples?

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2021, 8:53 am

what's wrong with wearing glasses?

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2021, 2:53 pm

Jamesy wrote:

I believe men and women are equals. Women can be equally as shallow as men, regardless of what modern mythology may suggest.

So, when a woman is genuinely attracted to a man with eyeglasses, beer gut, what have you, her more shallow friends may give her a hard time, because 'women aren't supposed to want to date men who look like that.'

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2021, 3:31 pm

Jamesy wrote:

Nothing.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2021, 3:39 pm

XFilesGeek wrote:
Jamesy wrote:

Nothing.

So why is glasses included in the list along with a beer gut of what makes a man unattractive?

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2021, 3:56 pm

Jamesy wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:
Jamesy wrote:

Nothing.

So why is glasses included in the list along with a beer gut of what makes a man unattractive?

Well, IMHO, there's nothing wrong with beer guts or thinning hair, either. I just used them as examples of typical traits of older men.

Benjamin the Donkey
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2021, 8:00 pm

XFilesGeek wrote:
Jamesy wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:
Jamesy wrote:

Nothing.

Well, IMHO, there's nothing wrong with beer guts or thinning hair, either. I just used them as examples of typical traits of older men.

If the topic is traits that make you look older, it's true that they're a drawback. (Glasses don't matter.) But women who look older probably have it even harder.

I'm 57 and have very almost no hair, but I still get attention from the ladies. I doubt that a women with these qualities (or a beer gut) would get much interest from men.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2021, 9:49 pm

XFilesGeek wrote:
Soooo....two examples?

Not overdoing the point but you said young women don't want to date "dudes with beer guts, thinning hair, and glasses".

I'm just pointing out it does happen and its not the end of the world for those girls.

I'm not saying its common or frequent (because it isn't) but my point is that those women who do date older men who might have a gut or younger men who are overweight discover they are loyal, loving and cuddly. Many of these women downgrade because fit good looking young men (like I used to be) are demanding, scatterbrained, self-absorbed, narcissistic and can't keep their attention on one girl.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2021, 1:04 am

cyberdad wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:
Soooo....two examples?

Not overdoing the point but you said young women don't want to date "dudes with beer guts, thinning hair, and glasses".

I'm just pointing out it does happen and its not the end of the world for those girls.

I'm not saying its common or frequent (because it isn't) but my point is that those women who do date older men who might have a gut or younger men who are overweight discover they are loyal, loving and cuddly. Many of these women downgrade because fit good looking young men (like I used to be) are demanding, scatterbrained, self-absorbed, narcissistic and can't keep their attention on one girl.

I was mainly just responding to the idea that women lose their looks as they get older, but men don't. Men get old too, it just so happens society tends to be less critical about men's physical appearance.

And, for the record, if I were straight, I'd totally go for the blond dude in the first couple of pictures.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2021, 2:20 am

XFilesGeek wrote:
And, for the record, if I were straight, I'd totally go for the blond dude in the first couple of pictures.

If you don't mind me asking, what's your preference among girls? or is physical looks not important for you.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2021, 2:36 am

cyberdad wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:

If you don't mind me asking, what's your preference among girls? or is physical looks not important for you.

I'm asexual, so I don't really have a "preference, " per se.

It's basically an intellectual exercise to consider who I might find attractive. My most important attribute would be a sense of humor. I don't get along with anyone who is too serious. The blond bloke in your picture looks like he likes having fun.

StrayCat81
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Jul 2021, 2:42 am

cyberdad wrote:
I'm not saying its common or frequent (because it isn't) but my point is that those women who do date older men who might have a gut or younger men who are overweight discover they are loyal, loving and cuddly.

More like they have fat wallets :twisted:

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2021, 5:36 am

XFilesGeek wrote:
I'm asexual, so I don't really have a "preference, " per se.

You're entitled to your opinion, etc., etc.

But as a self-proclaimed asexual, you're in no position to really comprehend how any sexual person perceives a potential partner. Far as I'm concerned, everything you've postulated is bunk. How the hell would you know what you're even talking about? An asexual trying to comprehend sexual attraction, LOL.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2021, 6:08 am

Many younger women happen to like older men. It’s a fact of life.

And, yes, some younger men like older women, too. I was one of those younger men.

RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2021, 8:22 am

It's not a prejudice. Most men don't face this at some point unless they are pedophiles. Don't start conversations with women of any age who are with men that you don't know. These guys don't appreciate you talking to women they are with - whether on a date or with a friend. These guys get pissed off and will say anything that will get you to get away good and FAST. Once, I was on a date and some girl tried to pick him up right in front of me. I followed her into the ladies room and said this, "That guy out there is mentally incapacitated. I am his nurse. If you continue doing what you are trying to do, I'll call the police." I would have preferred for my date and I to leave instead but I'd swear they would have followed us. She and her entourage left after the ladies room incident and then I could enjoy my date in peace. Jamesy, you aren't reading social cues properly and you're not recognizing rude behavior. You need to work on "boundaries". I know you are trying to be friendly and social but a lot of people have problems too. We may have problems and they too have problems so we often can't get the response we want - a response that makes us feel welcome as a fellow human being out for a night of fun. These days there is a VERY BIG generation gap. My church offers a young adult group for 20's and 30's. Maybe such a group might be helpful to you. People in church groups have a lot more patience than those random people on the streets. A support group for asperger's might help you decipher social cues or just therapy for this difficulty in particular. BUT REMEMBER, "Don't talk to women who are with other men, no matter how old they are." Approach female groups who are looking your way and who are receptive. Don't be hurt by disinterest. I hate the word "rejection" because it's almost like a blame. Just because a woman isn't interested in you doesn't mean you are defective in some way. I'm sure you were at one time or another "disinterested" and I'm sure you didn't see that person as unfit for everybody. Right?