No, liking rainbows does not make someone gay.

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Sonic200
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Jul 2021, 9:43 am

Because they use a rainbow in the gay pride symbol, there are people now who think that if someone likes rainbows they must be gay.

No, just because they use the rainbow in the pride symbol does not mean you can't like rainbows without being gay.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2021, 11:09 am

8O

..are you sure? :?

:lol: jk

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2021, 11:20 am

Too bad, I was really hoping if I could like rainbows more it would expand my romantic options. :cry:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2021, 10:16 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Too bad, I was really hoping if I could like rainbows more it would expand my romantic options. :cry:

Well...trying putting on the headphones and listening to marathon hours of live performances by Liza Minnelli.
Might work. :lol:

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2021, 11:57 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

Well...trying putting on the headphones and listening to marathon hours of live performances by Liza Minnelli.

I can't do Liza, how about Limp Wrist?

I can do queercore, sasscore and mincecore but show tunes don't resonate with me.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2021, 3:14 am

funeralxempire wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

I can't do Liza, how about Limp Wrist?

I can do queercore, sasscore and mincecore but show tunes don't resonate with me.

Dont forget...Pansy Division. :lol:

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2021, 9:03 am

Well, the rainbow flag as a symbol for the LGBT community was invented in the 1970s.

Both rainbows and gay people have been around much longer than that.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2021, 9:07 am

"I have set my rainbow in the clouds, and it will be the sign of the covenant between me and the Earth.  Whenever I bring clouds over the Earth and the rainbow appears in the clouds, I will remember my covenant between me and you and all living creatures of every kind.  Never again will the waters become a flood to destroy all life.  Whenever the rainbow appears in the clouds, I will see it and remember the everlasting covenant between G^D and all living creatures of every kind on the Earth." -- Genesis 9:13-16

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

28 Jul 2021, 9:14 am

And liking gays does not make you a rainbow.

What's the point of this thread, anyway?

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Sonic200
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Jul 2021, 9:50 am

It is just that there are people who associate rainbows with gayness these days because of the pride symbol. My sister worries even about my 7-year-old niece carrying around a notebook with a rainbow on it because people might think she's gay or going to grow up to be gay because of the rainbow.

Blue_Star
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Jul 2021, 10:00 am

I like rainbows now that I'm older. I like wearing my earrings or belt or socks, etc. When I wear them tho, people make comments. I get hit on, for example, but then people take great offense & become rude quite quickly when I say I'm straight & completely uninterested. Happy clothes are my preference when I'm depressed, so there are times where that's all I want to wear; it lifts my mood. I get flack from the anti side too (red state).

Last edited by Blue_Star on 28 Jul 2021, 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

28 Jul 2021, 10:03 am

Sonic200 wrote:
It is just that there are people who associate rainbows with gayness these days because of the pride symbol. My sister worries even about my 7-year-old niece carrying around a notebook with a rainbow on it because people might think she's gay or going to grow up to be gay because of the rainbow.

That's crazy.
Rainbows are simply cute. They also symbolize hope, diversity and a bridge between Havens and Earth.

You also don't have to be gay to support LGBT rights. In the crazy place where I live, LGBT people are used by our high officials as handy scapegoats to perpetuate siege mentality. People wear rainbow-colored bags, masks and ribbons to show solidarity with the attacked minority.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2021, 10:18 am

magz wrote:
Sonic200 wrote:
That's crazy. [...]
Indeed.  It is the same sort of crazy that equates being gay with wearing blue jeans on Thursday or wearing a pink shirt on any day.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2021, 10:22 am

Somewhere over the rainbow, there's a gay orgy taking place.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2021, 10:30 am

No, liking rainbows does not make someone gay. But here is a food for thought: an assumption that liking a certain scenary makes someone gay, and the assumption that holding certain views makes someone racist, are actually very similar. In both cases you are projecting how brain processes one thing based on the way brain processes something totally different.

Lets say someone who likes blacks is exposed to a paper that argues that blacks have smaller brain. Lets say that person has no prior knowledge of biology to counter it. Then, in reaction to that paper they would believe blacks have smaller brain. Or lets say someone who likes Jews is exposed to a paper that argues that there was no holocaust. If that person has no prior knowledge of history to counter it, then in reaction to that paper they would believe there was no holocaust.

The reason you would accuse those "naive" people of racism and antisemitism, respectively, is because, due to the political correctness, they are supposed to block their thoughts. They are supposed to say "regardless of what it seems to me, if I am not racist I shouldn't agree with that first paper and if I am not antisemitic I shouldn't agree with that second paper". But then with rainbow and gay thing it is similar. People are supposed to block what their eyes see and say "if I am not gay I am not supposed to like the sight of a rainbow".

Maybe thats how NT culture works in general, even with things totally unrelated to anything political. I been long puzzled why the women I date make all kinds of crazy assumptions about me just based on the fact that my conversation with them started off the wrong foot. So could it be the same phenomenon? People are all conditioned to say "If I am not X, I am not going to do Y on the first date" and then when I do do Y, the women assume I am X. And I can never explain to them for the life of me that my doing Y has nothing to do with my being X, it has to do with my being socially unaware.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2021, 12:32 pm

Maybe a combination of rainbows, and my little pony figurines, would seem a bit fey. But who doesnt like rainbows? And who doesnt like seeing them in real life, and doesnt want find a pot of gold at then end of one?

Does liking the color green make you Muslim?

Or liking red make you British? Or maybe liking red makes you a Commie? Or makes you a American Republican? The color red is associated with all three of those things (red on the flags of communist countries, and red on the map with GOP candidates, and red on maps designating parts of the old British empire).