No, liking rainbows does not make someone gay.

Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2021, 3:54 pm

rainbows are beautiful and gay in the old-fashioned sense. :jester:

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2021, 6:25 pm

auntblabby wrote:
rainbows are beautiful and gay in the old-fashioned sense. :jester:

Oh yeah, I remember being confused because of the "old fashioned" sense of the word "gay". So I remember, back in 1997, I was supposed to write high school essay about homosexual roommates. Back then I was very naive and I had no idea that they actually "expected" me to support homosexuals. I thought it was a neutral topic like any other, and I was even surprised that whatever article I read was so supportive of them, cause I was used to this being a topic of a joke. In any case, at one point they used the word "gay" instead of homosexual. Now, I came from Russia to the US in 1994, so I was not that good in English and was using English Russian dictionary a lot. So I actually didn't know the word "gay" and I looked it up in the dictionary. The dictionary said it means "happy". But then, from the context, I figured out it meant homosexual. And I was puzzled what does homosexual have to do with being happy. And I came up with the following theory. When you come across a homosexual, you laugh at them. So, similarly, a homosexual gets to laugh at themselves. Now, since you don't come across a homosexual that often, you don't get that many opportunities to laugh. But a homosexual interacts with themselves the whole time, so they can laugh all day long. And laughing makes them happy. Or another theory. Its always fun to do something you are not supposed to do. A homosexual is doing what they are not supposed to do the whole time, so that makes them happy.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2021, 6:43 pm

I doubt that is how the term evolved. But if it helped you to remember it then whatever.

In the nineteenth century "gay" meant a guy was a fop, or a dandy, who dressed fancy (usually a heterosexual playboy man about town).

After WWII the meaning evolved to slang for homosexual male. Then became the accepted term in the Seventies.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

15 Aug 2021, 1:12 am

Quote:
No, liking rainbows does not make someone gay.
& neither does liking this Ween song. I couldn't resist :arrow:

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2021, 2:06 am

Butterflies, zebras, and moonbeams. Kinda the same thing. Figure in this quite sexual heterosexual song.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2021, 9:57 am

Neither does liking shamrocks and unicorns. :lol: