Page 11 of 25 [ 397 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 25  Next

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2021, 9:53 pm

cyberdad wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
Do people really discuss politics that much, in friendships and relationships?

My wife and I (and literally every girl I ever dated) have never discussed politics

I know, right! Do couples actually go on dates and talk about international economics?

I don't get it.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2021, 9:54 pm

My ex and I fought about politics.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2021, 9:56 pm

Misslizard wrote:

I'm sorry to hear that. Can I ask what types of topics were relevant?

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2021, 9:58 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I know, right! Do couples actually go on dates and talk about international economics?

I don't get it.

Tsion and I discussed politics a lot. :oops:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2021, 9:59 pm

cyberdad wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
ironpony wrote:
But isn't that kind of prejucial against someone in a way? I mean if it's racist for a person to only not be open to dating other races for example, then wouldn't it be considered 'politicist', to not be willing to date people with other politics then yourself?

I think it depends on the extent of disagreement. People who have little in common in terms of values will probably not be romantically compatible or agree on politics so it might be something that works it's self out naturally.

Old fashioned marriages work on obedience to one's husband. Compatibility came a very distant second.

Isn't that why so many of them failed once divorce became legal and accessible? 8)

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2021, 9:59 pm

Misslizard wrote:

I knew someone about 2 years ago who broke up the friendship simply due to political reasons.
Rather odd, but what can you do?

I am flexible when it comes to politics.
Some people aren't, especially Amerians.

Yes, she was an American.
And, yes, she was a progressive. ;)

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2021, 10:00 pm

Well so far me and my gf talked about politics on one date. It was the date when we were deciding to be exclusive or not. It turned out we had quite different politics on the spectrum. But we both said they were not deal breakers as long as we didn't try to impose them each other, and so far, any political discussions have not come up again since. Is that bad?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2021, 10:01 pm

cyberdad wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
ironpony wrote:
But isn't that kind of prejucial against someone in a way? I mean if it's racist for a person to only not be open to dating other races for example, then wouldn't it be considered 'politicist', to not be willing to date people with other politics then yourself?

I think it depends on the extent of disagreement. People who have little in common in terms of values will probably not be romantically compatible or agree on politics so it might be something that works it's self out naturally.

Old fashioned marriages work on obedience to one's husband. Compatibility came a very distant second.

Well I think compatibility is better. Of course for people in a relationship if you want to have one person as the 'leader' you certainly can...but I don't think it should be based on the persons sex. Like truth be told in my relationship my boyfriend is more the leader...but also that is what we agreed to and its not to do with I am the woman and he's the man. But for sure I think it is just fine for couples where that is reversed and the woman is more in the lead, and it is fine if a couple decides they don't want either person to be more in the lead so they stick to being more even about everything.

Like the main problem I have with that whole old fashioned marriage, is just that it was always expected the woman submits to the man. Well what if a couple wants to do it the other way around, or if they both want to stick to more individual independence within the relationship. Like my issue is the genitals you have that may determine your sex should not determine your position in the relationship or the dynamic it has...those should be simply agreed upon by the people in the relationship regardless of sex.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

ironpony wrote:
Well so far me and my gf talked about politics on one date. It was the date when we were deciding to be exclusive or not. It turned out we had quite different politics on the spectrum. But we both said they were not deal breakers as long as we didn't try to impose them each other, and so far, any political discussions have not come up again since. Is that bad?

What do you mean by talking about politics, or having different politics?

I can't even think of examples of what that would mean, beyond maybe who you voted for.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

IsabellaLinton wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
Do people really discuss politics that much, in friendships and relationships?

My wife and I (and literally every girl I ever dated) have never discussed politics

I don't get it.

:lol:

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2021, 10:02 pm

Bradleigh wrote:
The 80s? Seriously you have nothing better than stuff that happened almost 40 years ago, only being relevant recently for a person apologising for what happened back then? That is piss poor evidence, especially in the current climate information is more freely available via things like the internet. Not to mention that the investigators finding these things were commissioned by the party itself to find these things.

The people involved were still active in politics when it all came to light, so it's modern enough and its roots go far deeper and wider than you know. You will no doubt forever try to move the goalposts to save face, but I think that article alone meets the criteria for

Bradleigh wrote:
credible allegations of accepted movements on the Left Wing in pushing for paedophilia.

I suggest you keep reading before you start defending them. That article tastefully left out the most sordid details of that particular scandal and the more recent one where Left wing politicians allowed and later tried to cover up a scheme to deliberately place children with known paedophiles believing the sexual relationship would be beneficial. The last such fostering was still in progress after the turn of the century.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2021, 10:04 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
ironpony wrote:

Isn't that why so many of them failed once divorce became legal and accessible? 8)

I think both. Plenty of marriages where the couple are both active in social or political justice issue or some lifestyle end up on the scrapheap as well. Sometimes there are deeper issues at play. With the domineering hubby it has more to do with his controlling ways rather than his politics.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2021, 10:06 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Like the main problem I have with that whole old fashioned marriage, is just that it was always expected the woman submits to the man. Well what if a couple wants to do it the other way around, or if they both want to stick to more individual independence within the relationship. Like my issue is the genitals you have that may determine your sex should not determine your position in the relationship or the dynamic it has...those should be simply agreed upon by the people in the relationship regardless of sex.

Agreed. But these type of marriages are still the most common globally.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2021, 10:07 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Plenty of marriages where the couple are both active in social or political justice issue or some lifestyle end up on the scrapheap as well.

Sounds like they both spent more time worrying about strangers and fighting battles for other people they've never met, than focusing on each other or their personal values.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2021, 10:08 pm

ironpony wrote:

Because of my bad experience with a former friend, I ask a potential friend what their political orientation is, and tell them mine.
It is quite funny, actually, since I don't take politics that seriously, but life is odd.
What can you do? 8)

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2021, 10:08 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Misslizard wrote:

I'm sorry to hear that. Can I ask what types of topics were relevant?

Abortion, immigration,LGBTQ issues,race relations etc.,The only topic we agreed upon was the environment.He was into crazy conspiracy theories like black helicopters and one world order.
He was a conservative and I’m a liberal.
He was also a narcissistic misogynistic control freak.That was the worst part.