Page 12 of 25 [ 397 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 25  Next

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2021, 10:12 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Like the main problem I have with that whole old fashioned marriage, is just that it was always expected the woman submits to the man. Well what if a couple wants to do it the other way around, or if they both want to stick to more individual independence within the relationship. Like my issue is the genitals you have that may determine your sex should not determine your position in the relationship or the dynamic it has...those should be simply agreed upon by the people in the relationship regardless of sex.

Agreed. But these type of marriages are still the most common globally.

Wow. That's rather archaic thinking. Even for my great grandparents, marriage was built on cooperation. Even if he worked and she raised 14 children, there was respect for each other's contribution. Sure, I bet some men were dicks. I bet some women were idiots too. Life goes on.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2021, 10:12 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
ironpony wrote:
But isn't that kind of prejucial against someone in a way? I mean if it's racist for a person to only not be open to dating other races for example, then wouldn't it be considered 'politicist', to not be willing to date people with other politics then yourself?

I think it depends on the extent of disagreement. People who have little in common in terms of values will probably not be romantically compatible or agree on politics so it might be something that works it's self out naturally.

It depends on how seriously people take politics.
I find it amusing when someone tries to maul me, because of political disagreements.
Life is too short. 8)

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2021, 10:14 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
There is no real correlation between pedophilia and politically “left” ideology.

Oh but there is. It's not ubiquitous, neither is it central to Leftism, but it has always been there, arm in arm with all the other sexual rights movements and is probably still is lurking in dark corners, waiting for their moment.

https://www.spiegel.de/international/ge ... 99544.html

He is a boy, roughly 10 years old, with a pretty face, full lips, a straight nose and shoulder-length hair. The wings of an angel protrude from his narrow back, and a penis is drawn with thin lines on the front of his body.

The 1986 image was printed in the newsletter of the Green Party's national working group on "Gays, Pederasts and Transsexuals," abbreviated as "BAG SchwuP." It wasn't just sent to a few scattered party members, but was addressed to Green Party members of the German parliament, as well as the party's headquarters in Bonn.

Documents like this have become a problem for the Greens today. Some 33 years after the party was founded, it is now being haunted by a chapter in its history that many would have preferred to forget. No political group in Germany promoted the interests of men with pedophile tendencies as staunchly as the environmental party. For a period of time in the mid-1980s, it practically served as the parliamentary arm of the pedophile movement.

A look at its archives reveals numerous traces of the pedophiles' flirtation with the Green Party. They appear in motions, party resolutions, memos and even reports by the party treasurer. That is because at times the party not only supported its now forgotten fellow campaigners politically, but also more tangibly, in the form of financial support.

When the Green Party was founded in 1980, pedophiles were part of the movement from the start -- not at the center of its activities, but always hovering along the periphery. At the first party convention in the southwestern German city of Karlsruhe, pacifists, feminists and opponents of nuclear energy were joined by the so-called "Urban Indians," who advocated the "legalization of all affectionate sexual relations between adults and children." From then on, pedophiles, noisy and wearing colorful body paint, were often a visible part of Green Party gatherings.

And this is just Germany again. There was a similar scandal in the UK for the New Labour party after they came to power in 1997, but that was buried by their allies in the media. Keep digging anywhere in the counter culture movements of the 60s onwards and there you find them.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2021, 10:16 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Like the main problem I have with that whole old fashioned marriage, is just that it was always expected the woman submits to the man. Well what if a couple wants to do it the other way around, or if they both want to stick to more individual independence within the relationship. Like my issue is the genitals you have that may determine your sex should not determine your position in the relationship or the dynamic it has...those should be simply agreed upon by the people in the relationship regardless of sex.

Wow. That's rather archaic thinking. Even for my great grandparents, marriage was built on cooperation. Even if he worked and she raised 14 children, there was respect for each other's contribution. Sure, I bet some men were dicks. I bet some women were idiots too. Life goes on.

Sorry my bad. This is out of our collective control. Most non-western societies the girls are told what to do and obey their parents.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2021, 10:17 pm

Misslizard wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
My ex and I fought about politics.

I'm sorry to hear that. Can I ask what types of topics were relevant?

Abortion, immigration,LGBTQ issues,race relations etc.,The only topic we agreed upon was the environment.He was into crazy conspiracy theories like black helicopters and one world order.
He was a conservative and I’m a liberal.
He was also a narcissistic misogynistic control freak.That was the worst part.

Institutional gang-stalking is a simple fact of life.
Ask the barrister who informed me of this, 40 odd years ago. 8)

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2021, 10:18 pm

cyberdad wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

Sorry my bad. This is out of our collective control. Most non-western societies the girls are told what to do and obey their parents.

Boys had the same toxic messages.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2021, 10:18 pm

ironpony wrote:
Well so far me and my gf talked about politics on one date. It was the date when we were deciding to be exclusive or not. It turned out we had quite different politics on the spectrum. But we both said they were not deal breakers as long as we didn't try to impose them each other, and so far, any political discussions have not come up again since. Is that bad?

I cannot say it is bad at all, for sure I was just putting my personal experience...what is right for me, isn't right for everyone. If you two talked and decided those aren't deal breakers than it's all good.

For me it's just I saw both my parents fighting over stuff like that growing up and probably a little part of each of them is in me. So I figure if they fought so much over stuff like that, and I came from them...I might be flighty about disagreements like that as well. So just stuck with me that I wanted to be more on the same page as the person I got with, to avoid a fate similar to my parents.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2021, 10:26 pm

Misslizard wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
My ex and I fought about politics.

I'm sorry to hear that. Can I ask what types of topics were relevant?

Abortion, immigration,LGBTQ issues,race relations etc.,The only topic we agreed upon was the environment.He was into crazy conspiracy theories like black helicopters and one world order.
He was a conservative and I’m a liberal.
He was also a narcissistic misogynistic control freak.That was the worst part.

I'm sorry to hear you were with a narcissist and control freak. Been there, done that.

It's just weird to me that people would spend that much time discussing other people's business (politics). Even if one of you was an elected official, your job would be to represent constituents' values and not necessarily your own. Plus you aren't supposed to bring your work home with you from the office, so to speak. Unless one of you was LGBTQ, requiring an abortion, arranging immigration for the other, or from a different racial background, I don't know why any of it would be relevant. Those might be topics for deep philosophical discourse one day if you're stoned, but on a daily basis in a marriage? I'm really sorry to hear that.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2021, 10:33 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

My mom's mom married the 20 something guy who knocked her up at 14. Her mom made her take two siblings with her when she moved out and was neglectful and abusive beforehand. My grandma was 'the idiot' in her first marriage but I'm not sure I blame her for resenting the prudish, spendthrift workaholic she married given the circumstances.

In think in that time the healthiest relationships incorporated the principals we'd agree are healthy, but understood through the lens of the time. If they were as progressive as we'd like to idealize them as that would mean there's never actually been any need for progress and I think history disproves that.

Healthy ones would have definitely involved respect for each others contributions, but most of those would have still expected those contributions within the roles as defined. To be fair, strictly adhering to those roles involved a degree of privilege (poor people or frontier people were more likely to buck trends than families that could afford to not work with their hands).

When I try to navigate my family tree it's traumatized kids who grow up to fail as parents all the way down, no wonder I don't want kids. :oops:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2021, 10:35 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I'm sorry to hear you were with a narcissist and control freak. Been there, done that.

It's just weird to me that people would spend that much time discussing other people's business (politics). Even if one of you was an elected official, your job would be to represent constituents' values and not necessarily your own. Plus you aren't supposed to bring your work home with you from the office, so to speak. Unless one of you was LGBTQ, requiring an abortion, arranging immigration for the other, or from a different racial background, I don't know why any of it would be relevant. Those might be topics for deep philosophical discourse one day if you're stoned, but on a daily basis in a marriage? I'm really sorry to hear that.

If your partner rants about how those damn x people are this that and the other and you disagree you'll probably challenge them, no?

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2021, 10:44 pm

I think I should clarify. My partner and I do discuss personal values, but we consider those values to be "morals" or "ethics" rather than evidence of or affiliation with a larger political agenda. We don't label or pigeonhole our values into any organised political agenda involving other people, government, or international relations. We value things like "be kind to people" and "treat everyone equally" which aren't even related to politics. In my mind, politics means policymaking by elected officials who are usually untrustworthy regardless of which party they represent.

It seems like some couples have replaced religion or personal morality with organised politics, as a way of defining who they are. I'm not suggesting anyone needs to be religious, but politics seem to be creating the same type of dogma and indoctrination that churches have been accused of doing in the past. Years ago people may have been told not to marry someone from a different religion. That person may have been rejected or alienated by society for their beliefs. It seems like people are treated this way today, regarding prejudice toward their political affiliation.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2021, 10:50 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:

If your partner rants about how those damn x people are this that and the other and you disagree you'll probably challenge them, no?

I can't picture that happening to be completely honest, but I would certainly speak up.

My point is that "those damn people" isn't a political statement. It's a values statement. If we had different values on many topics then I'm not sure why we'd be together in the first place. I don't think that every statement a person makes about the world is political, or that it needs to be categorised into "left wing" or "right wing" partisanship. Politics is so much bigger than personal ethics. I suppose I just interpret the meaning of "politics" differently than most of you do.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2021, 10:57 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I suppose I just interpret the meaning of "politics" differently than most of you do.

There's a bunch of terms that partially overlap and we might disagree on where exactly the boundaries are or which is the most preferred term but this might be a case where the disagreement is over labels and not the core idea.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2021, 10:59 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I know, right! Do couples actually go on dates and talk about international economics?

I don't get it.

International economics sounds like a fun date topic to me, I did study economics after all, and there can be a lot interesting discussion that can come from different points of view.

I can say that on the dating app I started using it can include information people enter about their politics, just if anything might be a deal breaker. And certain political issues can be deal breakers for certain people, such that I am probably not going to date someone who believes very strongly in things like traditional gender roles. It doesn't mean not dating someone of a different politics.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2021, 11:01 pm

funeralxempire wrote:

My mom's mom married the 20 something guy who knocked her up at 14. Her mom made her take two siblings with her when she moved out and was neglectful and abusive beforehand. My grandma was 'the idiot' in her first marriage but I'm not sure I blame her for resenting the prudish, spendthrift workaholic she married given the circumstances.

In think in that time the healthiest relationships incorporated the principals we'd agree are healthy, but understood through the lens of the time. If they were as progressive as we'd like to idealize them as that would mean there's never actually been any need for progress and I think history disproves that.

Healthy ones would have definitely involved respect for each others contributions, but most of those would have still expected those contributions within the roles as defined. To be fair, strictly adhering to those roles involved a degree of privilege (poor people or frontier people were more likely to buck trends than families that could afford to not work with their hands).

When I try to navigate my family tree it's traumatized kids who grow up to fail as parents all the way down, no wonder I don't want kids. :oops:

I have a similar family tree, especially on my dad's side of the family. My paternal grandmother got pregnant on her first date with my grandfather. I don't know if the sex was consensual but I haven't heard otherwise. Regardless it was the 1930s. My grandmother's parents threw her out homeless, and disinherited her from a sizeable family estate. She married my grandfather because she was homeless. I don't know if he married her out of obligation or affection, but their marriage was never very happy. I won't blame their unhappiness on gender roles or the fact he worked to support her and their baby (my aunt). I think they were just incompatible. My grandfather was very likely autistic. He experienced profound depression and mental illness throughout his life, and eventually abandoned us all to go into reclusive hiding, when I was five years old. He later killed himself. I can't say there was strict adherence of any roles in this marriage. They stayed together as long as they could. She watched him deteriorate, and watched him disappear when she already had grown children and grandkids. They cooperated as much as they could, given the circumstance. Mental health and pregnancy shaped this marriage, but I wouldn't blame gender roles or say that my grandfather was a cruel husband.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2021, 11:08 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

I have a similar family tree, especially on my dad's side of the family. My paternal grandmother got pregnant on her first date with my grandfather. I don't know if the sex was consensual but I haven't heard otherwise. Regardless it was the 1930s. My grandmother's parents threw her out homeless, and disinherited her from a sizeable family estate. She married my grandfather because she was homeless. I don't know if he married her out of obligation or affection, but their marriage was never very happy. I won't blame their unhappiness on gender roles or the fact he worked to support her and their baby (my aunt). I think they were just incompatible. My grandfather was very likely autistic. He experienced profound depression and mental illness throughout his life, and eventually abandoned us all to go into reclusive hiding, when I was five years old. He later killed himself. I can't say there was strict adherence of any roles in this marriage. They stayed together as long as they could. She watched him deteriorate, and watched him disappear when she already had grown children and grandkids. They cooperated as much as they could, given the circumstance. Mental health and pregnancy shaped this marriage, but I wouldn't blame gender roles or say that my grandfather was a cruel husband.

My dad's dad's mom sounds like she had autism (and same with those two), she also suffered a mental breakdown later in life which doesn't seem that far-fetched for an undiagnosed woman in that era.

I wouldn't blame any single factor on how any of them dealt with life but I do believe the same pressures we talk about now existed then, it's just fewer people talked about them openly.

The discussion and the vocabulary didn't create the problems though, it's just identified some of them.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う