Page 5 of 9 [ 140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

samuraivader
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

03 Aug 2021, 8:40 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:

and here are the tenents, for The Satanic Temple

-One should strive to act with compassion and empathy toward all creatures in accordance with reason.
The struggle for justice is an ongoing and necessary pursuit that should prevail over laws and institutions.
-One's body is inviolable, subject to one's own will alone.
-The freedoms of others should be respected, including the freedom to offend. To willfully and unjustly encroach upon the freedoms of another is to forgo one's own.
-Beliefs should conform to one's best scientific understanding of the world. One should take care never to distort scientific facts to fit one's beliefs.
-People are fallible. If one makes a mistake, one should do one's best to rectify it and resolve any harm that might have been caused.
-Every tenet is a guiding principle designed to inspire nobility in action and thought. The spirit of compassion, wisdom, and justice should always prevail over the written or spoken word.

What makes The Satanic Temple different from (classic) liberal ideas?
And what makes it Satanic?

samuraivader

03 Aug 2021, 8:42 pm

Harry Haller wrote:
No certain who "us" is, since varied are we, but

https://www.pewforum.org/quiz/religious-typology/
maybe this will help

https://www.beliefnet.com/entertainment ... matic.aspx
This one has more woo-woo

Great tests! I like particularly the second one, it seems that I'm a Theravada Buddhist 8O

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2021, 11:19 pm

Harry Haller wrote:
No certain who "us" is, since varied are we, but

https://www.pewforum.org/quiz/religious-typology/
maybe this will help

https://www.beliefnet.com/entertainment ... matic.aspx
This one has more woo-woo

The second one said I'm a secular humanist (first said I was robustly secular or something similar). So again, no surprises there. What did surprise me was how easily I was able to answer the questions on both tests. With practically every test I've tried over the past few years I've wanted to tick between the boxes or to write an essay for each question on how my answer depends on all kinds of things the questioner doesn't seem to have thought about. I do have a shadow of a doubt about the existence of deities etc., but nothing like enough to tempt me to tick boxes other than the ones I ticked, in practically every case. It's just that I can't disprove the existence of deities any more than I can disprove the existence of leprechauns.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2021, 5:23 am

So have we determined which is the one true religion yet?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2021, 7:35 am

I find that the Yanomami religion is the “one true religion” :P

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2021, 8:51 am

Isn't there a religion that worships cats? That's something I could get behind. Cats already think they're gods and I cannot dispute that because who am I to argue with gods?

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2021, 10:41 am

Only New Order know

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2021, 11:54 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:

Well, if you're not superstitious then the answer is "none of them," because AFAIK they all believe in some kind of supernatural entity. Atheism and all the other related -isms are called religion by some, so if it's correct to do so then atheism would be the one true religion for a non-superstitious person. But there are strong arguments for the idea that atheism isn't a religion at all, so maybe it doesn't count.

In practical terms of choosing, then if you accept it's a religion then you could be open to criticism from some theists that you're demonstrating faith (in there being no supernatural entities) while simultaneously assuming that any other kind of faith can be correct, ergo you're a hypocrite. But you might be able to live with that. It also looks as if you'll be on the right side of history, part of a group that's growing while the others are in decline. And if you're young enough you might live to see the day when you're in a majority, though the downside is that groups in decline can get pretty vicious towards the other side (I suppose it's a kind of moral panic), so you might do well to keep your head down.

On the other hand, if you're superstitious then the particular supernatural entities you believe in will define your religion for you. Of course if you believe in an unusual mixture, you might not find an organised form of it, so bang goes collective worship, but if you're that much of an individual, that might not matter much.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2021, 7:49 pm

ToughDiamond wrote:
Atheism and all the other related -isms are called religion by some

Ahh yes. There was some controversy with the recent census in my country on the which question "What is your religion?" If you pick "no religion" that's treated as atheism but if you pick "Other - atheism" that's treated as a religion. So choosing atheism increases the total number of "religious" people according to the census results, which is then used to increase funding for religious services.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2021, 8:00 pm

ToughDiamond wrote:
Atheism and all the other related -isms are called religion by some

Ahh yes. There was some controversy with the recent census in my country on the which question "What is your religion?" If you pick "no religion" that's treated as atheism but if you pick "Other - atheism" that's treated as a religion. So choosing atheism increases the total number of "religious" people according to the census results, which is then used to increase funding for religious services.

ToughDiamond wrote:
In practical terms of choosing, then if you accept it's a religion then you could be open to criticism from some theists that you're demonstrating faith (in there being no supernatural entities) while simultaneously assuming that any other kind of faith can be correct, ergo you're a hypocrite.

That makes sense but when some of the Christians on Facebook start saying "You atheists have faith!" stripped of the context of "before you (or more likely a completely different atheist) said faith is bad yet you are now demonstrating faith so you're a hypocrite" it just sounds like they're insulting faith as a general concept, which sounds strange coming from a Christian.

They do the same thing with the term "religion". They'll say "atheism is a religion". Even if atheism is something to be taken on faith, that alone doesn't make it a religion. Atheism doesn't have any ceremonies.

If you point out that they have a religion to (Christianity) some of them will say "I'm not religious. Only false versions of Christianity are religions but my church (the true church) is not a religion". This allows them to say with a straight face that all religions are bad.

ToughDiamond wrote:
But you might be able to live with that. It also looks as if you'll be on the right side of history, part of a group that's growing while the others are in decline. And if you're young enough you might live to see the day when you're in a majority, though the downside is that groups in decline can get pretty vicious towards the other side (I suppose it's a kind of moral panic), so you might do well to keep your head down.

That would be the death throes.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2021, 2:31 am

Personally, the church of Christ has worked great for me and continues to work great for me for the most part.

AngelL
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Aug 2021, 2:06 pm

ToughDiamond wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:

Well, if you're not superstitious then the answer is "none of them," because AFAIK they all believe in some kind of supernatural entity.

Buddhism? I am a Buddhist (when I have to check one of those boxes) and I haven't been told I need to believe in a supernatural entity.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2021, 2:26 pm

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
Personally, the church of Christ has worked great for me and continues to work great for me for the most part.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_of_Christ

Which one? There's a lot. 8O

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2021, 2:49 pm

AngelL wrote:
Buddhism? I am a Buddhist (when I have to check one of those boxes) and I haven't been told I need to believe in a supernatural entity.

OK it's probably nearer to Zen than I thought it was then. For some reason I expected there'd be a requirement to believe that Buddha was real and cosmic.

Harry Haller
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Aug 2021, 3:05 pm

Interesting question.
Curious as to the impetus.

Well, it's kinda like Aesop's fable of the wolf and the house dog
http://read.gov/aesop/113.html

The real question one must ask oneself is
- which animal am I?

AngelL
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Aug 2021, 3:12 pm

ToughDiamond wrote:
AngelL wrote:

OK it's probably nearer to Zen than I thought it was then. For some reason I expected there'd be a requirement to believe that Buddha was real and cosmic.

I attend a Zen Buddhist temple for morning meditation every day... :) The Buddha implored his followers not to make a religion out his teachings. He was adamant that he was just man. It doesn't mean that some Buddhist don't exalt him beyond where he requested, because absolutely some do - it's just not part of Buddhism, it's part of human failings.