05 Aug 2021, 3:14 pm

Harry Haller wrote:
Interesting question.
Curious as to the impetus.

Well, it's kinda like Aesop's fable of the wolf and the house dog
http://read.gov/aesop/113.html

The real question one must ask oneself is
- which animal am I?

Animal? I thought you were a vegetable. You are a human bean, are you not? ;)

Harry Haller
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Aug 2021, 3:20 pm

AngelL wrote:
Animal? I thought you were a vegetable. You are a human bean, are you not? ;)

:lol:

- or mebbe eben a hummin'' bean :)

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2021, 4:13 pm

samuraivader wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

and here are the tenents, for The Satanic Temple

-One should strive to act with compassion and empathy toward all creatures in accordance with reason.
The struggle for justice is an ongoing and necessary pursuit that should prevail over laws and institutions.
-One's body is inviolable, subject to one's own will alone.
-The freedoms of others should be respected, including the freedom to offend. To willfully and unjustly encroach upon the freedoms of another is to forgo one's own.
-Beliefs should conform to one's best scientific understanding of the world. One should take care never to distort scientific facts to fit one's beliefs.
-People are fallible. If one makes a mistake, one should do one's best to rectify it and resolve any harm that might have been caused.
-Every tenet is a guiding principle designed to inspire nobility in action and thought. The spirit of compassion, wisdom, and justice should always prevail over the written or spoken word.

What makes The Satanic Temple different from (classic) liberal ideas?
And what makes it Satanic?

It does have some similarities to classic liberal ideas, but its a religion, not a political/economic ideology so there isn't really a large focus on like how the government or economy should operate over-all. Though TST does try and fight against religious legislation in the name of religious freedom.

It is satanic, because of the symbolism used...Satan is used to represent being an adversary against injustice and oppression. wouldn't be much of a religion without a symbolic deity to represent it.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2021, 4:24 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
Personally, the church of Christ has worked great for me and continues to work great for me for the most part.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_of_Christ

Which one? There's a lot. 8O

The Stone-Campbell Restorationist Movement One.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2021, 5:05 pm

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
Personally, the church of Christ has worked great for me and continues to work great for me for the most part.

I've always found the development of the different sects of Christianity interesting, a lot of times theological disputes between Christian sects seem to distract from the overall broader message that most sects embrace, but that all leads to interesting reading. :nerdy:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2021, 6:05 pm

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:

The same one that prohibits instrumental music? Well, I’m out…

Tbh, some churches should probably ditch all music in worship entirely, at least temporarily. Too many people just there for their favorite songs. Either they want all new music, guitars, drums, and alienate old people, or they want hymnals pipe organ, and piano ONLY and stop any church growth. So just cut the music until everyone finds Jesus and then revisit how you want to have worship.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2021, 6:54 pm

AngelRho wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:

The same one that prohibits instrumental music? Well, I’m out…

Tbh, some churches should probably ditch all music in worship entirely, at least temporarily. Too many people just there for their favorite songs. Either they want all new music, guitars, drums, and alienate old people, or they want hymnals pipe organ, and piano ONLY and stop any church growth. So just cut the music until everyone finds Jesus and then revisit how you want to have worship.

Ya thats the same one.

browneyedgirlslowingdown
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Aug 2021, 8:20 pm

I was raised Buddhist. I have pursued other religions and fall somewhere between everything it seems. I sometimes desire a religious group or community, but they all come down to some sort of doctrine following even the Buddhists. That's the thing about groups, they just are that way.

I believe in something greater than myself, that we are all one thing, and that we are meant to do good and be good whatever that means to each other and the planet while here, and then leave into nothingness.

I have taken quizzes a bunch of times, I am either meant to be a quaker or Buddhist, but I consider myself to be a Buddhist, Quaker, Healer, Witch :-)

Oh, about the question, I say follow your heart, and let your spirit guide you, its not about the group, its about your values, live those, that's probably your true religion. I think people on the spectrum are good at that.

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 50 of 200
You are very likely on the broader autism cluster (Aspie)
Systemising Quotient (SQ) 78
Empathy Quotient (EQ) 41
CAT-Q 156 Compensation 56 Masking 48 Assimilation 52

caffeinekid
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Aug 2021, 2:37 pm

I believe in science, and that the universe is a big cold empty place that doesn't care if we live or die.

If I had to choose a "religion" it would be parts of Buddhism. They believe in the self, which in the end is the only thing that any of us can prove exists at all. Everything else is fed to us from our senses, which we all know can lie.

I wouldn't go with the whole reincarnation stuff though obviously.

Harry Haller
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Aug 2021, 3:17 pm

samuraivader wrote:
I don't think Abrahamic faiths work in us. Their personal God and their belief rigidity don't fit into an Asperger mindset.

Might not be working for a lot of people

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YtAR_OGzlcg

AngelL
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Aug 2021, 5:01 pm

caffeinekid wrote:

If I had to choose a "religion" it would be parts of Buddhism. They believe in the self, which in the end is the only thing that any of us can prove exists at all. Everything else is fed to us from our senses, which we all know can lie.

The Self is perceived through our senses as well. Since the Self is perceived through the senses, and as you rightly point out, the senses can lie - Buddhist thought holds that the Self is impermanent. and hence illusory.

caffeinekid wrote:
I wouldn't go with the whole reincarnation stuff though obviously.

Nor do we. Ironic that I should see this today. While we invite inquiry on Sundays after morning meditation, the Zen Master where I practice began Saturday inquiries as of today. This morning the topic was on reincarnation and it was roundly rejected in the way that you are using it.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2021, 5:16 pm

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2021, 8:45 pm

browneyedgirlslowingdown wrote:
I have taken quizzes a bunch of times, I am either meant to be a quaker or Buddhist, but I consider myself to be a Buddhist, Quaker, Healer, Witch :-)

In my religion I only have one mantra. "I am one with the force and the force is with me"

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2021, 8:52 pm

AngelL wrote:
The Self is perceived through our senses as well. Since the Self is perceived through the senses, and as you rightly point out, the senses can lie - Buddhist thought holds that the Self is impermanent. and hence illusory.

This is completely within the current scientific paradigm around conciousness in that once neural firing in the brain ceases then memory can't persist. The reason is that memory triggers physiological experiences and that requires biological/physiological senses which can't be drawn when you are dead.

However, many buddhist monks and nuns claim to be able to recognise their past manifestations (past lives) but that these manifestations are viewed as discrete resonance rather than recognition of their own memory since according to buddhism the soul can't transmigrate (that's a hindu concept). There is of course interesting stories of children being born who remember their direct past life.

The_Znof
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2021, 6:04 pm

Rexi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: "I know there's nothing we can do. But my heart can't accept it." "If this is real, then I want to change the future."

19 Aug 2021, 7:55 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
Why not just do potent psychedelics and ask the entities directly?

Summoning Cthulhu is a satanic ritual, in the Satanic Bible of LaVey. Unite hands and chant as the portal to the other world opens. It might require sacrifice and once the portal is open you don't know who or what else will get out. His sister and bride, the Leviathan of Disease.

Any topic, PM me; mind my profile.