Anyone Keeping Up With the January 6th Riot?

Page 20 of 23 [ 364 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2021, 5:53 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
:lol:

The PowerPoint. The text messages. More text messages. Etc.

Hopefully all of this turns into the type of charges, and conviction, that make the orange guy ineligible to run for public office ever again. 8)

Wishful thinking. There is no constitutional prohibition against a convicted felon holding federal office. In 1920 Eugene Debs ran for President from prison. In normal circumstances the party would not allow it, but we are talking about the Republican Party.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 16 Dec 2021, 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2021, 6:05 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:

Hopefully all of this turns into the type of charges, and conviction, that make the orange guy ineligible to run for public office ever again. 8)

Wishful thinking. There is no constitutional prohibition against a convicted felon holding federal office. In 1920 Eugene Debs for President from prison. In normal circumstances the party would not allow it, but we are talking about the Republican Party.

Interesting. Most states prohibit convinced felons from voting but they can still be President.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2021, 8:07 pm

Axeman wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:

Wishful thinking. There is no constitutional prohibition against a convicted felon holding federal office. In 1920 Eugene Debs for President from prison. In normal circumstances the party would not allow it, but we are talking about the Republican Party.

Interesting. Most states prohibit convinced felons from voting but they can still be President.

Systems of power always have built-in protections for the leaders that allow their own conduct to be above the law.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2021, 9:10 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:

Wishful thinking. There is no constitutional prohibition against a convicted felon holding federal office. In 1920 Eugene Debs ran for President from prison. In normal circumstances the party would not allow it, but we are talking about the Republican Party.

Maybe for regular criminal offences, but I thought I heard something about Sedition or Treason charges coming with a ban on being able to run for or hold public office ?? :?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2021, 11:11 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:

Maybe for regular criminal offences, but I thought I heard something about Sedition or Treason charges coming with a ban on being able to run for or hold public office ?? :?

If you are talking about the US that restriction hasn't been placed on Trump from throwing his hat in the ring in 2024

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2021, 7:28 pm

cyberdad wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:

If you are talking about the US that restriction hasn't been placed on Trump from throwing his hat in the ring in 2024

Yet! :D

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2021, 7:29 pm

cyberdad wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:

He can't run in 2024 without admitting he lost in 2020. :wink:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2021, 7:34 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:

This is Trump we are talking about. He can say the aliens got in league with pedophiles to help the democrats manipulate the vote in 2020 and 75 million will still vote for him in 2024.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2021, 7:43 pm

cyberdad wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:

This is Trump we are talking about. He can say the aliens got in league with pedophiles to help the democrats manipulate the vote in 2020 and 75 million will still vote for him in 2024.

He's only entitled to two terms, running again is an inherent admission of not winning a second term (yet).

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2021, 8:13 pm

His whole election platform in 2016 was implicit bashing of the enemies of social conservatives. I honestly thinks he doesn't care what he says doesn't line up with what he does.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2021, 9:24 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:

Conviction on those charges are pretty rare

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2021, 9:47 pm

I toss and turn all night thinking about Trump.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2021, 9:50 pm

Matrix Glitch wrote:
I toss and turn all night thinking about Trump.

Actually most of us don't.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2021, 1:54 am

funeralxempire wrote:

He's only entitled to two terms, running again is an inherent admission of not winning a second term (yet).

Nice try, but he'll find a way to spin it. He's the spin master.

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2021, 2:28 am

funeralxempire wrote:

Well, the "election" for President comes from the electoral college vote (which he didn't win) - Being a multi-stage electoral process, his claims of having won certain states, which would have given him the requisite electoral college votes, have no bearing on his not having won the vote that mattered, leaving him in a position of being able to claim he won in 2020, while still being eligible to run again in 2024.

Quote:
The president is elected indirectly through the Electoral College to a four-year term, along with the vice president. Under the Twenty-second Amendment, ratified in 1951, no person who has been elected to two presidential terms may be elected to a third.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/President_of_the_United_States

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2021, 5:44 pm

’Stop the Steal’ founder told Jan. 6 committee about contacts with GOP lawmakers

Quote:
Ali Alexander, who founded the pro-Trump “Stop the Steal” movement and attended the rally that preceded the Capitol attack, told congressional investigators that he recalls “a few phone conversations” with Rep. Paul Gosar and a text exchange with Rep. Mo Brooks about his efforts in the run-up to Jan. 6, his lawyers confirmed in a late Friday court filing.

Alexander also told the Jan. 6 House select committee that he spoke to Rep. Andy Biggs (R-Ariz.) in person “and never by phone, to the best of his recollection,” his lawyers say.

The description of the testimony comes in a lawsuit Alexander filed to block the committee from obtaining his phone records from Verizon. Alexander says in the suit that the records include contacts with people protected by privileges: religious advisers, people he counsels spiritually and his lawyers. He also indicated that he already shared more than 1,500 text messages with investigators, in addition to sitting for an eight-hour deposition. The Brooks text, he indicated, is among the texts he turned over.
Alexander’s testimony underscores the degree to which the select committee continues to probe the roles of their Republican colleagues in efforts to promote former President Donald Trump’s baseless claims of election fraud — and their potential support for fringe figures who helped gather people in Washington on Jan. 6, the day Congress was required to certify the 2020 election results.

The panel hasn’t formally requested testimony from any of the GOP lawmakers yet but has continued to ask witnesses about Gosar, Biggs, Brooks and Rep. Scott Perry (R-Pa.), who helped push a strategy to use the Department of Justice to promote the fraud claims.